Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default P10 Panel Engineering

I thought it would be nice to have a place where we can share ideas and construction tips for P10 panels. I'll start with a group buy link that I found on the internet.

https://www.crockettfantasyoflights.com/tag/p10/

@Tripplett - this guy offers "T" and "X" connectors for the P10 panels. Also power supply brackets so make everything compact. I could not figure out exactly what these connectors do. Do they eliminate the need for some of the ribbons ? This could be a nice way to have a clean, compact P10 panel without a lot of ribbons floating around .. At least it appears to be that. Let us know what you think ...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Likes robertz liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: P10 Panel Engineering

Denny I think the "T" and "X" connectors are just to physically attach the panels to each other, nothing to do with the ribbon cables. Instead of Joe's @Tripplett high-tech dollar store cutting board material!
    Joel

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yep, those T and X connectors are for mounting. Here's more places with mounting stuff.

This is the thread where there are pictures to the connectors I was talking about with Sam on Saturday - the ones with a right angle boss on them allowing you to screw them into the frame.
    new P10 Matrix Maker Connectors by Boscoyo Studio

And these are the Boscoyo Studios connectors that most others are using. I think the mounting options will get better in a few months.
    P10 Pixel Panels : Boscoyo Studio, Custom Promotional Products
    Likes robertz liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

For some reason it looks like lithgowlights has edited his post and removed the pictures from the first link I mentioned. They were on page 7 about half way down. However the whole thread is a good read and also covers the discussions on the new possible pre made cases.

Edit - the images are working on a desktop, just not Tapatalk on my iPad.
    Last edited by Tripplett; 02-09-2016 at 03:52 PM.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I think one could make mounting brackets fairly easy with some aluminum flat or angle stock. 1" stock isn't too expensive and can make lots of parts. But sometimes buying premade stuff if the price is right is the way to go too. Like everything else lots of options here! 8)
    Joel

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
    I think one could make mounting brackets fairly easy with some aluminum flat or angle stock. 1" stock isn't too expensive and can make lots of parts. But sometimes buying premade stuff if the price is right is the way to go too. Like everything else lots of options here! 8)
    Agreed. I have always built my own. But this year I have a nearly impossible task of retooling my entire display. So I am picking my battles. It would be nice if some prefabbed P10 panel mounts could be developed that are quick and solid. That would save me some time.

The P10 panels are way down my list. I have to build all new roof pixel lights, pixel icicles, pixel window frames, a short pixel tree (32 strings of 25 bulbs), and four 10 x 15 roof matrix panels approx 40" x 60." The matrix will be kinda crude at only 150 pixels, but it will be designed after my American Flag lights. I didn't want to lose the American flag look that I've been using for many years.

Then LAST will be the P10 panels. I might even put it off until 2017 ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I wanted to post a shopping list for those considering some type of a P10 panel. Here's what you will need.

- P10 panels obviously. A good sized "tune to" sign is 6 panels.
    - 5v power supply. Requirements vary wildly but I'd say 1.5A per panel.
    - Ribbon cable. There's one from each FPP output used (up to 8) to the panels and then between each panel in a run (up to 8). When you buy panels you get the ones between each panel. I have a 100 ft roll and will make some at a reasonable price for the group.
    - octoscroller. This is the daughter board that plugs into a Beaglebone Black and gives you the 8 plugs for your panels. These were hard to get but are coming into stock all over now.
    - power cords that go from power supply to panels. These, like the short ribbon cables, come with the panels but make sure you ask so the shipper doesn't forget.
    - beaglebone black or green. You'll run FPP from this to drive the panels.
    - mounting brackets to tie all the panels together. BoscoyoStudio.com has some and more are coming out every week. I haven't decided what ones I like yet.
    - enclosure. These panels are not water proof. I've seen people make a 2x4 wood frame, route out a groove in the front for plexiglass or other clear medium, silicone that in, and seal it all up with a removable panel in the back. Again, people are promising a turn key solution enclosure for this later this year.

That is basically it. Pixelsequencing.com is where I got most of my p10 stuff from. Their prices shipped were better than Ray Wu and other places are offering great prices too. Check out also crockettfantasyoflights.com. New player offering competitive prices.

This should get you started and I will eventually make this more detailed but many of you are trying to catch pre sales so I wanted to get this info out there.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Excellent Joe. I think I'll hold off to see what the turnkey solutions look like. I want mine simply and compact. I forgot that they are not waterproof.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    I wanted to post a shopping list for those considering some type of a P10 panel. Here's what you will need.

- P10 panels obviously. A good sized "tune to" sign is 6 panels.
    - 5v power supply. Requirements vary wildly but I'd say 1.5A per panel.
    - Ribbon cable. There's one from each FPP output used (up to 8) to the panels and then between each panel in a run (up to 8). When you buy panels you get the ones between each panel. I have a 100 ft roll and will make some at a reasonable price for the group.
    - octoscroller. This is the daughter board that plugs into a Beaglebone Black and gives you the 8 plugs for your panels. These were hard to get but are coming into stock all over now.
    - power cords that go from power supply to panels. These, like the short ribbon cables, come with the panels but make sure you ask so the shipper doesn't forget.
    - beaglebone black or green. You'll run FPP from this to drive the panels.
    - mounting brackets to tie all the panels together. BoscoyoStudio.com has some and more are coming out every week. I haven't decided what ones I like yet.
    - enclosure. These panels are not water proof. I've seen people make a 2x4 wood frame, route out a groove in the front for plexiglass or other clear medium, silicone that in, and seal it all up with a removable panel in the back. Again, people are promising a turn key solution enclosure for this later this year.

That is basically it. Pixelsequencing.com is where I got most of my p10 stuff from. Their prices shipped were better than Ray Wu and other places are offering great prices too. Check out also crockettfantasyoflights.com. New player offering competitive prices.

This should get you started and I will eventually make this more detailed but many of you are trying to catch pre sales so I wanted to get this info out there.

Joe,

What is the correct make/model of the power connectors on the back of the P10 panels?

I want to build some custom cables, and finding myself challenged to correctly describe those connectors.

Thanks in advance.

Frank

p.s. Pixel Sequencing includes the ribbon cables and power cords with their panels.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pleshe View Post
    Joe,

What is the correct make/model of the power connectors on the back of the P10 panels?

I want to build some custom cables, and finding myself challenged to correctly describe those connectors.

Thanks in advance.

Frank

p.s. Pixel Sequencing includes the ribbon cables and power cords with their panels.
    Mine came with the panels and that is what I used. If I want them longer I'm just going to splice on more wire. However this is also covered under this thread on Falcon Christmas. Apparently Seasonal Entertainment will sell the power cords separately too. On that thread someone posted this - "I've seen them referred to as: 0.15" Pitch 4-pin Power Cable w/ Spade Connectors."

P10 Wire and Power Supply Questions

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    Mine came with the panels and that is what I used. If I want them longer I'm just going to splice on more wire. However this is also covered under this thread on Falcon Christmas. Apparently Seasonal Entertainment will sell the power cords separately too. On that thread someone posted this - "I've seen them referred to as: 0.15" Pitch 4-pin Power Cable w/ Spade Connectors."

P10 Wire and Power Supply Questions
    The closest that I have come is a Philmore part number 70-6854. For some reason, my Google skills are offline trying to find this part. :-(

4 Pin 0.156" (3.8mm) Polarized Locking Female Socket Connector-p10-power-connector-1.jpg-p10-power-connector-2.jpg
    Last edited by FrankP; 02-18-2016 at 11:27 AM.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Does anyone have panel enclosure plans or ideas that they can share?

Requirements:

1. Water/weather proof
    2. Plexiglass/lexan front
    3. Securing panels in enclosure
    4. Where to mount BBB
    (P10 Pixel Panels : Boscoyo Studio, Custom Promotional Products)
    5. Where to mount power supply
    P10 Pixel Panels : Boscoyo Studio, Custom Promotional Products
    6. Mounting options for enclosure
    7. Condensation from heat?
    8. Securing the panel to prevent theft

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Another question that comes to mind, is there any design guidelines for panel configuration.

In other words, if you have say 12 panels, would it be best to configure a 6Wide(by)2Deep or
    would it be best to do 4x3?

Thanks!

Frank

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pleshe View Post
    Another question that comes to mind, is there any design guidelines for panel configuration.

In other words, if you have say 12 panels, would it be best to configure a 6Wide(by)2Deep or
    would it be best to do 4x3?

Thanks!

Frank
    User preference. My preference for 12 panels would be 4 high x 3 wide or 24" by 36" .. great for graphics or text. 3x4 (18" by 48") seems like overkill for text and cramps your graphics.

I am doing 6 panels which does graphic better with 3 high (18") by 2 wide (24"). But I want better text, so I'll run 2 high (12") but 3 wide (36").
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Thanks FrankP thanked for this post
    Likes FrankP liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Here's a good video on a 4 panel tune to sign construction. I will be making mine similar to this with a few panel mounting tweaks. I didn't get the magnets with my panels so I'll be using aluminum angle iron around the outside to secure the panels to the frame. I'll be making a 6 panel with 2 wide by 3 high.

I haven't decided if I want the BBB and power supply under the panels like in the video or attach them to the back like others have done. Since it needs to be up off the ground some anyway I am now leaning towards under the panels (like this video). I'll be building something next week so I can bring mine to Pi day. Using treated lumber would be a good idea too.

Thanks FrankP thanked for this post