Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default P10 Panel Engineering

Sorry I've been working on home remodeling lately. I'll gear back up on Christmas in late summer. Dabble until then. Frank is right. Right now FPP outputs 64 panels and 8 ports of data through the outputs no matter what you define. Soon they will change this to only output to the ports you define. So you'll want to run the least number of ports you can unless you want to re-define your stuff later. I don't have a link but it's been discussed on Falcon Christmas. For 12 panels just use 2 ports. Or 3 ports. It really doesn't make a huge difference.
    Thanks FrankP thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: P10 Panel Engineering

Question about the power.
    I got panels from Ray and all 4 pins on pwr cables were used, he had the two reds tied together and the two blacks. can I assume you can send 5V to each pair of pins? Earlier post indicated ya'll were just using one pair of the pins.

Also I read for powering the BBB, you want 5V of at least 10 amps if using cape. The power supply I have I wanted to use for panels and BBB, the label states 5V 70 amp. I do not want to fry all this neat new stuff,help?

BTW, I got my enclosure frame built and panels installed, wiring lengthen and fitted. once I do a power on test, I'll finish the weather proofing.
    Ross Shotts (100,000+ light total)
    www.lights4paws.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ross,

I am of the opionion that they wired all four wires for a reason. Better safe than sorry, eh?

Each panel draws 1amp and the BBB+CAP draws no more than 3amps, as I recall. You should be fine with the power supply that you have.

Can you post pictures of your enclosure and any details on the constructions, whenever possible. It would be good to compare notes
    on weatherproofing and how to minimize cost.

Thanks!

Frank

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

thanks, I have to do one adjustment so will need to work on that this weekend. i'll post details as soon as I can, still have a way to finish
    www.lights4paws.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

doing my first power up testing. put Octoscroller onto BBB, wired everything, powered up, I updated BBB/FPP to V1.8, set up the channel outputs and panel tabs.
    But I cannot figure out the display testing tab. could not find good info on web searches. Does anyone have the A-B-Cs of doing display test? i even created a seq in xlights and saved as fseq, I cannot figure out how to get it to BBB. I configured BBB to hold OS on embedded chip and am using mini Sd for storage, tried using file transfer tab, but I lack enough understanding to move file. I thought I could use this for testing.
    www.lights4paws.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Progress,
    issue #1 , cable in wrong connector on octoscroller, still nothing on testing.
    #2 on the LED panel tab, I had the arrows defining the chain of panels, realized that arrow suppose to match to panel orientation arrow, still nothing.
    #3 I kept clicking enable on the LED panel tab, but never clicked saved, got some pixels to turn on, yeah for progress
    #4 replaced ribbon cable in case I messed it up making it, no change
    #5 , I/O issue between brain and fingers, , when entering channel range on display test tab, I used the number of channels instead of actual ending channel number, thus the reason for limited pixels.

Now for another question because of my lack of knowledge. when full panel is testing, the power supply 'screeches' until display test is terminated. Is that normal when it steps up for additional power demand?

next thing to tackle, moving the fseg file from laptop to BBB, stay tuned.
    www.lights4paws.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Now that I had some time for clear thinking, I was able to get my fseq to BBB, I must have had a really bad day the other day....Sign looks good using the provided effects. now I need to work on some customized ones for my logo, etc.
    www.lights4paws.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ross,

I am having problems building a FSEQ to test my panel. Do you have one that you can share?

Thanks!

Frank

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Frank did the one I sent not work? Maybe we need to have a working session. These things need a lot of ducks in a row when first setting up. You have a duck out of line somewhere I bet.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I built a frame out of pine, this show the mid frame which will hold the P10 panels and the lower/bottom frame to hold electronics. The notch is to allow air movement and cable access between the sections. I used a dado blade to cut 1/4" grooves to hold the panels and clear plastic panel. I thought I was going to use the thick plastic but whoa the price, so I got the thinner material and will use some rubber spline used for windows screen frames to take up some of the space. I will seal with 100% clear silicon.

-1.png
    This is the top frame, the slots are to allow the p10 frame to slide into. I will build another top that will cover the whole top and will allow a slope to the back and overhang around all sides.

-2.png

This shows the power supply mounted. Notice my thoughts on sealing the front and rear covers. I had some door weather-stripping laying around. I fastened it so when I mount the covers, there is slight pressure on the rubber seal.

-3.png

This is another angel of the top, the top plate hangs over the cover and you can see the rubber seal.

-4.png

This is my inspector, happy cat, project passes.

-5.png

I mounted the p10 panels 'backwards', notice the tab is facing inwards, this allowed me to have the same edge all the way down each side. This slides in the groves I cut into the frame.

-6.png

This is what the top and bottom of the panel frame looks like. You can see the tabs that slide into the slots I cut into the frame.

-7.png

I mounted my BBB on the plastic strapping used for suspending PVC pipe, nothing fancy.

-8.png

Here is the panels, power supply and BBB installed.

-9.png

I am still working on my top cap, the front and rear covers need one more coat of paint. I also need to cut and insert the plastic window and seal. Physically, it is just about ready. I am still tinkering with the xlights effects trying to get my logos and messages setup.
    www.lights4paws.com

Likes Tripplett liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Very nice Ron ! It's great to see the step by step progress, including your waterproofing ideas.

I hope to get one of these put together. I had some of the parts, but with so many other things having to change to fit the new house, the P10 sign may have to wait ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control