Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Power Distro Board Co-op

I don't know if you guys have seen these over in the Falcon Christmas forum. They have a really neat power distribution board in a group buy going on right now. Anyone who does a lot of power injection may be interested. I also want 1 or 2 on the bench for testing stuff. It makes connecting things nice and easy. I may also use this to distribute power for any P10 matrix signs I make.
    Jan 2016 Power Distro Board Co-op

-12575854_10204990891164604_1477866705_n_zpsqgkzszep.jpg

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Power Distro Board Co-op

Thanks for pointing it out to us!!

To be clear, this allows you to distribute 5V of power to 6 strings from the single power cord going into it. Or to inject power at both ends of 3 strings. Is that accurate? If you inject 12V at one end, will it output 12V on each terminal? (Admittedly, I didn't read all 7 pages to see if those questions are answered... )
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It will allow you to distribute power yes. Whatever voltage you put into the big terminal will replicate out to the 6 smaller jacks. 12v in = 12v out. It's a straight through connection. You could use this for many different things. I saw a video of this last week. I'll post it if I can find it.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Found it. There are a few on his channel about the board.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yea, I saw that one. Sweet. I'll take 20. I guess...
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    Yea, I saw that one. Sweet. I'll take 20. I guess...
    I am curious why you are choosing to do so much injection ? Unless you are going to have a lot of really long runs?

If you are going to drive typical 50 bulb pixel stings, then it's much simpler to put the power supply(s) in the same case with the controller(s). You may not need any injection at all. I am assuming that you will pick controllers with lots of outputs (typical is 16 .. for the e682 for example) to drive a megatree.

One good use for these injectors is if you want to use a smaller 4 output controller (such as e6804) but control lots of strings on a megatree. In this case you would tie 4 50-bulb stings together for the data signal from each of the four channels and inject power in a couple different places on each run. You would end up with the same 16 string tree.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

i thought he was joking. Also you can't order them from here, you have to post over on the Falcon board at the link in my post.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I was joking. And I know you aren't coordinating something here.

If the power comes in the same cord as the data from the pixel controller, why would you need this? When you inject power, are you not taking the same cable from the controller and taking it to both ends of the pixel string? Or are you taking the power cable directly from the power supply and injecting from there?
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

You could do either one. In each example you have to Y the cable somehow to run power to each end. This disto board makes doing that easier.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

This is a good discussion. I think this ties to the growth in pixels. The cost of pixels has been coming down but the cost of controllers has stayed the same or gone up. Injection gives people with more pixels a low cost option to add strings without adding controllers.

There are two common injection scenarios .. one when you have lots of light strings, such as a 64 string pixel tree with a 16 output controller. The other is when you have very long runs of pixels on one string, such as when you run path lights or lights around your roof edges. In both of these scenarios you are tying larger runs of strings together. You can't get enough power into the long run of lights from one end, so you start by injecting from the far end. If the string is really long then the LEDs in the middle might still be starved for power, so you inject in the middle.

In the case of the large pixel bulbs that I am hoping to get on my roof, one run will be somewhere between 60 and 70 bulbs. And each bulb has 3 LEDs inside, a total of up to 210 LEDs on a single run. When I inject power from both ends, the middle LEDs could end up being over 100 bulbs from the power source (in both directions). So I'll plan a long power wire to the middle to clean that up.

Physically speaking, if you were running injection wires from a power supply in your yard, you would need a way to put fuses on the plus side of each power wire-pair. You could try grouping them with a wire nut but it's not likely to work. Or you could buy the expensive terminal strips to screw each wire down and use an in-line fuse (wires on each end). Using these little injector boards instead, everything ends up fused and wired. Very clean, no mess. I'm going to buy 3 of them, and I'll need at least one for my roof.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Due to extra fuses and connectors, I'm not a fan of power injection. If you can build your own boards the price-point of the E682 kit still can't be beat. The longest run I've had with a single injection point was 150 feet with 6 strings of the PixaBulbs along my treebed perimeters. That's because they use a heavier gauge wire. I'm now wondering if you can have pixels made from Ray that has a slightly larger gauge to be able to avoid power injection...
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

There's also boosters and conditioners that can help with long runs. There is a group buy about to take place on FalconChristmas.com for a small uAMP board that cleans up the square wave. Long runs are more possible/reliable.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Sorry - that would help with data not power.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

So you would go straight from the output of the power supply into one of these. And then one branch goes to the controller(s) and a second branch goes to the place(s) where you want to inject power. Is that accurate?

Second question: if the power supply is in the same box as the controller, is this mostly for injecting power out in the yard or on the house?
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I tend to think of these like a power strip. Sitting at my desk I have one outlet close by and it has two plugs. I have two monitors, a printer, a laptop, and a phone charger to plug in. Either I have to get extension cords and run to other plugs in the room or I could use a power strip and plug these all into it. Then plug the power strip into the wall.

The house's 110v power is like the Christmas display's power supply - be it 5v, 12v, or 24v. The power distribution board is like the power strip. Anywhere I have multiple places I want to feed with the same power (5v, 12v, or 24v) in my display I could use this "power strip" to make splitting the power easier. Plus they would be fused. If I didn't use this board I'd either have to make a bunch of Y cables with fuses or use a terminal block from Radio Shack or something. OR run each run back to the power supply making a spaghetti of wire.