Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Power Distro Board Co-op

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    So you would go straight from the output of the power supply into one of these. And then one branch goes to the controller(s) and a second branch goes to the place(s) where you want to inject power. Is that accurate?

Second question: if the power supply is in the same box as the controller, is this mostly for injecting power out in the yard or on the house?
    Yes, for injection you wire the output of the power supply into one of these power distro boards. Then each fused output from the distro board gets cabled directly to the injection point of each string.

Power supplies are wired direct to the controllers. Most controllers have their own power input fuse(s) to protect from a power supply failure. The distro board is not needed to feed power to a controller.

There are two common scenarios for wiring controllers:

One is when you have a power supply wired to the controller, which is passing power to the front end of the string(s). But the string is long, so you inject power (using the distro boards) to the back end of the string. In extreme long strings when multiple strings are hooked together you might also inject power to the middle too. The one thing you don't worry about is the data signal. When you send the data signal to the first pixel, the pixel's chip regenerates the data to the next pixel .. and so on through the whole string.

The second common wiring is where you are only sending data and ground from the controller to the string(s). In this case you might have your power supplies sitting in a separate box under your effect (trees, or whatever). You would use the distro boards to cable the power out to each string as needed. That might include injecting or just feeding power to the front end of the string.

Your second question: I am not sure what you are asking because I don't know the difference between in the yard or on the house. I assume those are all places that you could have lights strings. The simple answer is when you have the power supply in the same box as the controller, you are always passing the power through the controller to each light string. You will notice that every DC power output from every controller is fused. The fuses are right on the controller for each channel. Sam runs all of his pixels this way. He avoids all power injection. He would rather send more controller channels to each of his strings instead.

A real world example is the original CCR. CCRs are each 50 pixels with 150 LEDs (3 LEDs per pixel). All of their power is driven from the front end with no injection.

Sam/Joe/Paul/Petr - - how many pixels are you guys are driving (at the longest) without power injection .. ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Power Distro Board Co-op

My longest run is those 16 foot pixel strips. My strawberry sized bulbs around the crepe myrtle were 100 pixels long. I avoid power injection if I can. Like Sam it just makes things more complex. For the matrix panels (P10's) I'll have to split up power and that is why I bought some of these. Plus a few extra for down the road 'who knows' stuff. I'm adding a lot more this year. The person I figured would use these the most would be Petr. He had lots of injections and fuses in his display.

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

From what I'm reading, you don't have to inject power unless you really need it. Which I think I knew, but never verbalized. Injecting power adds lots of extra work and cables when setting up the display, too. So you wouldn't want to overdo it, just in case.
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    From what I'm reading, you don't have to inject power unless you really need it. Which I think I knew, but never verbalized. Injecting power adds lots of extra work and cables when setting up the display, too. So you wouldn't want to overdo it, just in case.
    Yes. By inspection the way to tell if you need injection is to turn the whole string on whit (100% R, G, and B). And look at the last lights in each string. If they are still bright white then you are fine. If they look pinkish then power injection would eliminate that.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Is anyone ordering these? Does anyone want to combine to save the $6 in shipping? It's not much but hey that's a couple cups of coffee (the standard units to measure cost). I'm going to get a few just in case. These are the cheapest fuse blocks I've seen and they look cool too.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I ordered 10 assembled. Most for me but some for Denny. No one else had shown interest when I committed. I don't plan on injecting a lot of power but for those thinking of a P10 box these would be good for splitting up power for that too. Yea I don't know if you could even buy the components to build this cheaper than these are going for. I don't think I can change my order this late so maybe you can get a few people to go in with you. I've already gotten the request from the builder for what email to send the invoice to - he's getting ready to bill and ship.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm in for some but haven't placed the order yet. Let's touch base later...
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Scott lets do that. They estimated feb 21 is closing date so let's get this done by early next week. I am going to get 5.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    Scott lets do that. They estimated feb 21 is closing date so let's get this done by early next week. I am going to get 5.
    I need at least two. So I'll probably buy 5 as well. Anyone else want to go into a single order? Let me know by tomorrow. (14 Feb 2016)

PM me and let's talk about settling up (how and when).
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Note if you have not gotten your order in that this is closing in a couple days.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I replied to the forum board with my total. Is that all I do? How quick did it take them to contact you about payment?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    I replied to the forum board with my total. Is that all I do? How quick did it take them to contact you about payment?
    Make sure your name shows up in the second post - the one with the names and counts. He sent me a pm fairly quickly asking for an email address. Once the buy is over (in a couple days) he will send a bill to the email address you provided.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ok, the list was just updated. We are on the list. My username is Emuney18. It is a carry over name from college.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

They were quite popular. I think they will be great for a P10 setup too.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I got my invoice today.