Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: Renard newbie....flash to DMx?

  1. #16
    Registered User Paul Lowe's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    317
    Thanks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    53
    Mentioned
    16
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    149

    Default Re: Renard newbie....flash to DMx?

    Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I am sure we will all enjoy seeing what the Pixlite can do. At the end of the day, these controllers all do the same thing. We can help you with any setup learning curve you might face. Also from a quality standpoint, the hardware design on all of the controllers is quite reliable. They all have very few components other than the combination of large chips that form the outputs. I suspect if we were able to aquire schematics of the various controllers, we would find that they are using mostly the same chips. But each has completely unique firmware, that makes it all work.
    Good points.

    i think I will try to get one of these new pixlite's prior to our meeting (if they can ship it out in time) and Id be happy to bring it along for folks to look at more closely....
    Ideally I'd like to figure out the renard flash issue ahead of that as well so I can test out the spi AND dmx outputs...

  2. #17
    Havin fun ! kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    3,962
    Thanks (Received)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    233
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    76
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    398

    Default Re: Renard newbie....flash to DMx?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    Good points.

    i think I will try to get one of these new pixlite's prior to our meeting (if they can ship it out in time) and Id be happy to bring it along for folks to look at more closely....
    Ideally I'd like to figure out the renard flash issue ahead of that as well so I can test out the spi AND dmx outputs...
    I am fairly new to Renard myself, but I think the clock is faster for DMX mode. I had a ton of trouble with my Renards in DMX mode, but that could easily be a mistake that I made when I built them. Others in this group run Renard with no issues !

    William is going to bring a Lynx board to the TASL. Those are only DMX (since Renard is unique to Renard). A lot of people seem to leave LOR for Lynx. William can probably help compare for us.
    Last edited by kidcole; 02-08-2015 at 03:00 PM.
    Thanks,

    Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

    Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

    Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

  3. #18
    Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Pittsboro, NC
    Posts
    1,499
    Thanks (Received)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    78
    Mentioned
    39
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    115

    Default Re: Renard newbie....flash to DMx?

    Paul -

    Before you put the money out for the HolidayCoro product, check the cable lengths it supports and how you will put it into your display. You may find it more cost effective to get multiple lesser-capable devices due to placement in your display.

    Denny's first year - he ran his controllers in h is garage and spent a fortune in copper for the extension cords. Copper prices have gone up since then, controller prices have come down.

    And to whet your appetite some more - and to spend more of your money - Renard SS series group by going on right now.

    2015 Renard SS Group Buy - Round 1 - Page 2

  4. #19
    Registered User Paul Lowe's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    317
    Thanks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    53
    Mentioned
    16
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    149

    Default Re: Renard newbie....flash to DMx?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stevens View Post
    Paul -

    Before you put the money out for the HolidayCoro product, check the cable lengths it supports and how you will put it into your display. You may find it more cost effective to get multiple lesser-capable devices due to placement in your display.

    Denny's first year - he ran his controllers in h is garage and spent a fortune in copper for the extension cords. Copper prices have gone up since then, controller prices have come down.

    And to whet your appetite some more - and to spend more of your money - Renard SS series group by going on right now.

    2015 Renard SS Group Buy - Round 1 - Page 2
    Ugh....

    It's a great point.... I was JUST thinking the same thing... my "pixlite strategy" means id need to run all the DMX controllers from the pixlite controller- which may NOT be the most ideal location.

    Sigh.... i think I'm going to be better served by using a e1.31 bridge- I just wish I didnt have to MAKE everything in the dmx world! I know some people like to solder and everything, but all my spare time is going to be taken up PROGRAMMING all this new crap.... :-)

  5. #20
    Registered User mschell's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lexington, NC
    Posts
    1,165
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    40
    Mentioned
    24
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    79

    Default Re: Renard newbie....flash to DMx?

    Always a dilemma! The choices of how long it takes to build the hardware, to how long it takes to program the software....!

    I would advise you to keep it as simple as possible, but leave room for choices for flexibility.

    Like Denny, I've been thru the "keep all the controllers in the garage" phase to now where I prefer to put the controller as close to the lights as possible. In fact, E1.31 makes that a bit simpler, in that all I need to run is the Ethernet cord to each controller or bridge.

    Things to remember -
    Renard runs at a max of 115,600 bits/sec on shorter runs, usually the 56K baud goes for quite a while.
    DMX runs at 256,000 bit/sec.

    Both those protocols and LOR protocol run over RS-485 signalling on the wire. It's differential signals to go longer distances.

    E1.31 is Ethernet, so it runs at minimum 10,000,000 bits/sec (that's 10Meg), and can go higher if you have good cables and decent network switches. Of course, then you need an E1.31 controller or a E1.31->DMX or Renard bridge which adds some overhead, but still is the fastest going so far.

    LOR S3 with the right license level will output E1.31. That can go to Renard or DMX with the right bridge or controller output. That's what the E68x line of controllers does for the balanced output (RS-485) or what the E1.31->DMX/Renard bridges do.

    A nice middle of the road would have you run Ethernet out to a central place in the yard, and have a bridge in that box, which then outputs DMX/Renard to some local controllers.

    Note that not all Renard controllers have a DMX version of firmware. Depending on which board, and the whim of the firmware writer and whether they thot it was a "sin" to use DMX on Renard Hardware are all factors in the DMX firmware availability. Also, some Renard boards don't "eat" the channels they use, but have a bypass jumper which will pass all the data to the next board in the chain.

    Assuming there are no snags that come up before then, I'll try to bring to the Feb meeting a few examples of all the different kinds of boards I have, including a Lynx - an 8 output E1.31-DMX/Renard bridge and possibly more.
    Mark

    New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

  6. #21
    Registered User Paul Lowe's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    317
    Thanks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    53
    Mentioned
    16
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    149

    Default Re: Renard newbie....flash to DMx?

    Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post

    Assuming there are no snags that come up before then, I'll try to bring to the Feb meeting a few examples of all the different kinds of boards I have, including a Lynx - an 8 output E1.31-DMX/Renard bridge and possibly more.
    Does anyone actually SELL a e1.31 bridge, or are they all DIY kits?

  7. #22
    Havin fun ! kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    3,962
    Thanks (Received)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    233
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    76
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    398

    Default Re: Renard newbie....flash to DMx?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    Does anyone actually SELL a e1.31 bridge, or are they all DIY kits?
    There are quite a few E1.31 to DMX bridges out there. One of the nicer ones is the Joshua systems (J1Sys) bridge(s). They offer a two port and a 4 port. These are made by the same company that makes the controllers that Peter likes. Has these and Sandevices, but says he prefers these. They are very compact.

    ECG-D2
    ECG-D4

    I've also seen some on eBay .. generic no-name models made by the China suppliers. There are most likely one on Ray Wu's site.

    And the wireless DMX extenders are also an option to extened you bridge ports, in case you have to get DMX to locations where an Ethernet cable can't go (like across the street) .. I suggest you get all your neighbors going with LOR first. And then a year later try moving to other network types crossing the street ..

    By the way .. our TASL agenda has so much stuff in it, I have scheduled the group buy discussion for lunchtime. It looks to me that the best deal going is the Holiday Light Express stuff .. particularly if we get free shipping. So if you (OR ANYONE) wants to be redy to sign up for some discounted commerical quality lights .. bring your "list" to the TASL meeting.
    Thanks,

    Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

    Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

    Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

  8. #23
    Registered User Paul Lowe's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    317
    Thanks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    53
    Mentioned
    16
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    149

    Default Re: Renard newbie....flash to DMx?

    Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    There are quite a few E1.31 to DMX bridges out there. One of the nicer ones is the Joshua systems (J1Sys) bridge(s). They offer a two port and a 4 port. These are made by the same company that makes the controllers that Peter likes. Has these and Sandevices, but says he prefers these. They are very compact.

    ECG-D2
    ECG-D4

    I've also seen some on eBay .. generic no-name models made by the China suppliers. There are most likely one on Ray Wu's site.

    And the wireless DMX extenders are also an option to extened you bridge ports, in case you have to get DMX to locations where an Ethernet cable can't go (like across the street) .. I suggest you get all your neighbors going with LOR first. And then a year later try moving to other network types crossing the street ..

    By the way .. our TASL agenda has so much stuff in it, I have scheduled the group buy discussion for lunchtime. It looks to me that the best deal going is the Holiday Light Express stuff .. particularly if we get free shipping. So if you (OR ANYONE) wants to be redy to sign up for some discounted commerical quality lights .. bring your "list" to the TASL meeting.
    I actually looked at that Joshua Sys bridge, but I couldnt find ANY documentation or manual for it... and the suport looked sketchy... so I wasnt sure if it was recommended... it sounds like it is though.. that good!

  9. #24
    Registered User mschell's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lexington, NC
    Posts
    1,165
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    40
    Mentioned
    24
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    79

    Default Re: Renard newbie....flash to DMx?

    J1Sys (Joshua) always has solid designs. He used to be active in more forums, but probably felt a little unwelcome at DIYC because some folks can be very vocal about their Renard stuff and at the time didn't want to talk much about DMX.

    I have one of the J1SYS E1.31->DMX/Renard bridges, which was an early pioneer in that technology. It has 8 separate outputs, with 8 PICs and so is rock solid. He has sold kits and also sells some already built ones, as well as Pixel controllers.
    He used to frequent the Aussie forum more, but I think his interaction has been less this past year. He usually responds to email fairly well.

    I have made the offer in the past, and will do so again - if anyone wants to buy a kit, but doesn't want to assemble it, I'm always open to doing it for a small fee. I built 4 E682's for a guy down in Greenville, SC...
    Mark

    New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •