Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: E682 upcoming firmware upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    Shanta,
    There are two wires that are connected to every pixel - +5V or +12V and ground. So current always flows in the same direction through each LED. However, the data signal is the one that says if a pixel is on or off and what color it is.

However, especially with 5V pixels, after awhile, the 5V signal starts to lose it's umph or voltage level due to losses in the wire carrying the 5V. So by the end of the 50th pixel, the voltage available to that pixel is probably closer to 4V than 5. And so, even though the data signal says to turn on fully, it can't, because the voltage is lower than the first set of pixels.

By connecting a wire to the 5V at the "end" of the strip or string or "injecting power" supplys voltage to both ends and therefore the voltage level stays closer to 5V then 4.

It's usually recommended to inject power every 50 pixels for 5V strings/strips. Locating your power supply somewhere in the "middle" of the strings means that you have equal supply wire going to them and your voltage drop to each string is similar.
    Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your time. My confusion was I had assumed that the LEDs were wired in series (like minis) and therefore power-injection in the middle always made sense to me, but injection at the end didn't. Injecting in the middle would send power down the one-way diode pipe from the middle to the end, but injecting from the end (in the series scenario I'd imagined) would accomplish nothing as the power would never get past the gate of the last diode. Now, understanding that each LED is wired in parallel to the power bus (like a C9) it makes perfect sense. It's funny how that nagging question kind of answered itself as I typed out a formal question! Anyway, thanks guys for clearing it up for me. It's a shame the strip manufacturers don't just wire in an extra bypass feeder to provide undiluted power to the far end of the strip to backfeed the current strip and provide for the next strip.
    Check out my professional Santa website, That's Santa!.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Shanta View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your time. My confusion was I had assumed that the LEDs were wired in series (like minis) and therefore power-injection in the middle always made sense to me, but injection at the end didn't. Injecting in the middle would send power down the one-way diode pipe from the middle to the end, but injecting from the end (in the series scenario I'd imagined) would accomplish nothing as the power would never get past the gate of the last diode. Now, understanding that each LED is wired in parallel to the power bus (like a C9) it makes perfect sense. It's funny how that nagging question kind of answered itself as I typed out a formal question! Anyway, thanks guys for clearing it up for me. It's a shame the strip manufacturers don't just wire in an extra bypass feeder to provide undiluted power to the far end of the strip to backfeed the current strip and provide for the next strip.

I set a standard for myself to use entirely 12v pixels, which gives me more load capability before I have to inect. YOu can also get 24v pixels which are even better, but I already had some 12v stuff ... so I stuck with it.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

santa i don t think the power is diluted its used up by the pixels in the string power is injected to power more and as a benefit pixels will repeat the data and or clock signals
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

A couple of comments. All of the E68x controllers will work with IGMP, although I haven't found it to be necessary unless, as one example, you want to keep the multicast packets off of the wireless part of your network. You can easily go over 100 universes on a 100mb lan in multicast without issues. The big show in Connecticut has more than 100 universes of multicast, using 40+ controllers, although it may be split over 2 networks: . This show in Texas uses 80+ controllers, I believe > 300 universes, split over 2 LANs, all multicast.

The new firmware will now allow up to 7 universes of multicast. 8 is possible, but by limiting it to 7 I can keep a socket dedicated to the web server, and that makes life a lot simpler. Still looks like 12 universes doable in unicast.
    Likes SWood liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by jstjohnz View Post
    A couple of comments. All of the E68x controllers will work with IGMP, although I haven't found it to be necessary unless, as one example, you want to keep the multicast packets off of the wireless part of your network. You can easily go over 100 universes on a 100mb lan in multicast without issues.

The big show in Connecticut has more than 100 universes of multicast, using 40+ controllers, although it may be split over 2 networks.

This show in Texas uses 80+ controllers, I believe > 300 universes, split over 2 LANs, all multicast.

The new firmware will now allow up to 7 universes of multicast. 8 is possible, but by limiting it to 7 I can keep a socket dedicated to the web server, and that makes life a lot simpler. Still looks like 12 universes doable in unicast.
    I'd sure like to know what software they are using that would allow such a vast array of pixels.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

ok mark me down a stupid whats igmp?
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

IGMP is something that most of us will never need. As I understand it, IGMP lets you define specific outputs of your switch that would carry multicast information. Which I think also means you could have multiple multicast addresses on the same switch but talking to different segments of your network, routed/separated by the switch. I think Sam knows a bit about it and most likely Mark also. It also seems to be a feature that is on the newer gigabit switches. My older one does not have IGMP .. But I also do not tie my show in with my home wireless network .. so I would probably never have a need for it.

I am very impressed that we can run 100 Universes before we would run out of bandwidth on a single multicast network. I am pretty darned sure I won't get to 100 Universes. Although I thought the second video had a spectacular finish with Wizards in Winter done in 300 Universes of lights ! That guy knows how to please his audience...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

IGMP allows a network switch to limit where some of the multicast traffic goes, kinda like filtering.

Multicast traffic is, as the name implies a broadcast of data to multiple destinations. Usually it goes out all ports of the network switch, so everyone on every port may have to deal with the packets of data.

In order for IGMP to work, the receiver of the data has to be able to tell someone, usually an intelligent PC somewhere, that it only wants to hear certain multicast groups, and not all of them. So you need that PC to query or ask if anyone wants their broadcasts filtered. Since Jim says the E682 supports IGMP, it will answer when the PC asks which multicast addresses it wants. The PC also knows which network switch port the E682 is connected to. The PC can then tell an IGMP capable switch to filter out all but those requested multicasts on that switch port.

So you need 3 things for IGMP to work - an IGMP questioner, an IGMP capable network switch, and a controller that responds to the IGMP question. Most cheap network switches don't support IGMP, and most folks don't have an IGMP interrogator. So all the traffic goes to all the ports, and in the case of wireless, if it passes on the multicast, it will flood the wireless as well. And if there are routers anywhere in between, you'll also see some additional places to have the queries/responses blocked.

All of this to say that unless you plan to have 100's of universes, you don't need to worry about it.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I'd sure like to know what software they are using that would allow such a vast array of pixels.

Denny, I know the Connecticut show is using LightFactory. Don't know what is being used in Texas.
    Mark

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Madrix in Texas.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    Denny, I know the Connecticut show is using LightFactory. Don't know what is being used in Texas.
    I don't know much about that one, other than I have heard of the name. Is it another one of the High Price types ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

LightFactory is more of a "traditional" DMX based light control software used in theaters, churches, and other such venues. So it's not a "sequencer" per se, but has macros, cue lists, and other such items. I've used it in the more traditional setting.

There's a "personal use" Christmas decorator license price for 100 universes, I think, of only $500, which is about 80-90 percent off list price. Check on DIYC or the Aussie forum for details. Martin, the creator of LF, is in New Zealand, I believe. He's the person who programmed the show in Connecticut.
    Mark