Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Border Stakes & "Grounds Safety"

I have been planning a rope light border around my property to keep people from stepping into the wired areas. Last year I purchased about 300 feet of LED rope light at about 20 cents on the dollar after Christmas. The whole 300 feet will draw almost nothing and it's multi-colored rope light so it looks great ! I have seen some gorgeous (and expensive) border stakes holding up rope light. The best was in Holly Springs where the guy put rebar in the ground and left it sticking up about 2 feet. Then he dropped lighted candy canes over the rebar and tie-wrapped the rope light to the top. Each candy cane was powered, about every 10 feet. Wow ! And he must have about 600 feet of rope light ... Double WOW !!!

That is too fancy for me and until tonight I have been on the search for something simpler and reuseable. I found it at Home Depot. They are sturdy metal U-stakes designed for holding up construction and plastic fence. They were only $2.25 each for some small ones that will stick up about about 2 feet. They have a nice hole up hear the top where I can tie-wrap my rope light. I also like them being kinda short. They have taller more expensive ones, but then I figured people and small kids might be more likely to go under those. I like them and thought I would share this.

As for the "Grounds Safety" I got a great tip from Don Williams that it's a good idea to have small "High Voltage" signs spread around, just inside the border area. This will keep most people from crossing the border area, and will also help to keep local authorities from deciding there's something unsafe about your setup. I read similar information on somebody's Christmas Site last year, and I think it's probably a very good idea to spread around some High Voltage signs <attached>. I created serious traffic jams last year without having the LOR automation and FM broadcast. This year the town of Cary might have to help with traffic control along Cark Parkway at Kilarney drive ! I intend to keep things safe so they don't decide to shut me down ...

Ha !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -highvoltage.pdf  
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Border Stakes & "Grounds Safety"

A simple sign saying "Please do not enter the yard" could be as effective to the crowds and far less scary to your neighbors. When I see a sign warning of high voltage I wonder why there is a need to warn me and so might the inspectors. However, your display is a temporary, non-commercial, and a no charge display that should not be a concern unless there is a potential hazard or nuisance to the public. Traffic in Cary might be more of a concern.

I use a small, unobtrusive fence that you can buy at Lowe's. It is about 3-4 feet tall and is green. It is accordion folded into 3 foot or so lengths and has wire feet that can be pushed into the ground. Push the fencing into the ground around the perimeter of the frontage of your yard. It has a rounded top which is child safe and cheap. The fence will hinder children from venturing into your yard and a barrier for all but the crack head adults.

Al
    Last edited by Al in Raleigh; 09-30-2009 at 05:41 AM.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I agree with Al regarding not using "Danger High Voltage" signs. To me, they would indicate that you feel the wiring you did is NOT SAFE. Might cause the local officials to look really close looking for the danger areas.

The simple "Do Not Enter" signs combined with your border lights would be preferrable in my opinion, and from a liability standpoint would indicate that you were being responsible with your display.

I don't use a border at Christmas, but do at Halloween. I use a piece of rebar in the ground, then slip a section of 3/4" PVC pipe with a 3/4" Tee on top and feed the rope light through the ends of the Tee, no need for zip ties. Cut the vertical pipe to the height desired.

Paint colors of your choice. I used black paint and orange ropelight. Since this was to keep the TOTs from shortcutting across the yard and to stay on the sidewalk and is only up for a couple of days, I didn't spend a lot of effort to make it real pretty.

You could wrap the white PVC pipe with red electrical tape to "candy cane" them and not have to worry with painting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -grimreaper4.jpg  
    Last edited by John; 09-30-2009 at 07:38 AM.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I had my signs made here.... http://new.speedysigns.com/signs/safety

Special sale going on now.... Try out the New SpeedySigns.com
    and save 15% on your first order.

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It's great getting some perspectives. I love the PVC over the rebar. I like the candy cane look and it just struck me that I could wrap red tape around the white PVC to get the effect. I did that for my limbo pole (I'm a DJ) and it has lasted for at least 15 years .. !

Hmmm, I might have to return those fence U-posts I bought.

Mel, what do your signs say ?
    Last edited by kidcole; 09-30-2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Added clarification.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Fence Posts are returned. I am making the Candy Cane PVC pipe posts with red tape wrapped around white PVC and PVC Ts on the top. Then just drop them over 1/2" rebar driven into the ground. This will look more like Christmas, be simpler to install & tear down, simpler to clean & store, and will cost less too.

On the safety topic .. I am changing camps. I am going to make a few signs requesting that people not cross the rope light border, rather than drawing any attention to the wires on the ground.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny,

I think you will be really pleased using the PVC over rebar with tees on top.

I also believe the new safety signs will be much better. Having worked in Property / Casualty Insurance for the last 30 years, my opinion is the Danger High Voltage signs would be telling the world that you admit that your display is dangerous and that you put it up anyway. Just a lawsuit waiting to happen.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hey Denny, will you have any CCRs in your display? I could use a third set. I'm guessing that Mel and John didn't buy enough CCRs to fulfill my needs.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny,

One other suggestion regarding the tees for the top of the PVC pipe, since you will using quite a few, buy the contractor packages of the tee at the big box store. Much less expensive then the individual ones.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    Hey Denny, will you have any CCRs in your display? I could use a third set. I'm guessing that Mel and John didn't buy enough CCRs to fulfill my needs.
    Al
    Al,

I really getting quite confused (seems like you do this to me quite often) You said third set. Mel bought one and I bought two. That's three or a THIRD! If you steal any from Denny, that would be FOURTH or FIFTH

I worry about you being able to count correctly now.

Why do you need so many CCR's if you're not doing a display this year? And don't tell me that its because you were going to put them in Walter's display. Walter is a big boy, and he can go steal his own.

I'm gonna tattletale to William about you
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Al,

I really getting quite confused (seems like you do this to me quite often) You said third set. Mel bought one and I bought two. That's three or a THIRD! If you steal any from Denny, that would be FOURTH or FIFTH

I worry about you being able to count correctly now.

Why do you need so many CCR's if you're not doing a display this year? And don't tell me that its because you were going to put them in Walter's display. Walter is a big boy, and he can go steal his own.

I'm gonna tattletale to William about you
    To not further confuse you I will type really slowly. Please don't read this with your lips moving. I knew it, your lips are moving. I knew it, I knew it.

Now down to business. I said set. One CCR does not make a set unless ordered by itself. If one orders two CCRs it is still one set. I will own 2 sets soon. Don't muddy the waters with Walter. Walter is getting yours and I steal his. Is that so confusing? I typed that really slowly just for you. Your lips are moving again.

Any more questions? I guess not.
    Al