Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Rock Speakers

If you want to have audio for the walk up viewers of your display then speakers are a good idea. Waterproof, rock speakers are an excellent idea. Here is a link to a good Monoprice rock speaker at a good price. Here is a link to all of Monoprice's rock speakers.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Rock Speakers

Do these speakers play other music than just rock?
    Likes Brad Caudill, SWood liked this post

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

What, Sam? You don't want your display to rock?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    If you want to have audio for the walk up viewers of your display then speakers are a good idea. Waterproof, rock speakers are an excellent idea. Here is a link to a good Monoprice rock speaker at a good price. Here is a link to all of Monoprice's rock speakers.
    Al -

Looks like good prices, and the company has a decent reputation.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yeah, Monoprice does sell okay stuff. I want an outdoor bass speaker but jumping gee whiz those things require a mortgage to buy.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

They look great. I was thinking about this for a while last year, but I really don't want to make my neighbors mad at me. I love monoprice for everything else they sell, I've purchased wall mounts, crazy amounts of cables, and all the cat5 cable I use in my display came from them. Great service, just takes a week or more to get your order out here on the east coast.

Maybe it's possible to rig up a button that those passing by your display could push to get the audio for a predetermined amount of time (5-10 min)?

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    They look great. I was thinking about this for a while last year, but I really don't want to make my neighbors mad at me. I love monoprice for everything else they sell, I've purchased wall mounts, crazy amounts of cables, and all the cat5 cable I use in my display came from them. Great service, just takes a week or more to get your order out here on the east coast.

Maybe it's possible to rig up a button that those passing by your display could push to get the audio for a predetermined amount of time (5-10 min)?
    Yep, a retro-reflective photoelectric sensor or maybe an emitter/receiver pair if you can convince a neighbor across the street to allow you to put 1/2 of the pair on their property. Maybe even a big push button labeled, "Push me to turn on the speakers". Maybe use a DMX volume control module. I found one as part of my presentation at the convention last year. It was pretty cheap. Connecting speakers via a relay can blow up an amplifier due to impedance mismatches and relay bounce.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    Yep, a retro-reflective photoelectric sensor or maybe an emitter/receiver pair if you can convince a neighbor across the street to allow you to put 1/2 of the pair on their property. Maybe even a big push button labeled, "Push me to turn on the speakers". Maybe use a DMX volume control module. I found one as part of my presentation at the convention last year. It was pretty cheap. Connecting speakers via a relay can blow up an amplifier due to impedance mismatches and relay bounce.
    If you want to use a relay, use it on the power side of the amp, turning the whole thing on and off with the relay. Don't screw with the outputs because of what Al mentions.

I do this for my neighbors - my amplifier is on a timer. I play seasonal music around the clock, going to my transmitter, and the show as well. The amplifier comes on shortly before the show and cuts off before 9 PM so the kids and the complaining woman across the street can get to sleep, although the show continues on through the transmitter.