Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Unhappy HELP!!!

I am trying to use LSP to run 5 Rainbow Flood lights.

I have all the pieces and cant seem to get anything to work. Is there anyone out there with Rainbow Flood lights that would allow me to bring my hardware over and test with someone elses computer\hardware.

I dont know if my floods are bad, my Rainbow brain is bad, my DMX dongle is bad, my configuration is bad, etc...

I have posted this question on the LSP forums board with diagrams on my setup, but I think im at a point I need to sit down with someone that can help me diagnose this issue with "known" working hardware.

You can view my problem forum posting
    http://www.lightshowpro.com/showthread.php?1216-COnfiguration-or-Hardware-Issue

I bought a second brain pre-assembled unit today and that did not correct my issues. I am hoping I just have a configuration problem and dont have 5 dead flood lights.. :-\

Please help if I can visit you, or if you dont want me in your house and you are willing to visit me that is fine as well.

I live in the South Charlotte area near Charlotte Douglas International Airport.

Thanks for any help you can give. Im getting really bumbed about my project

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: HELP!!!

I did respond over on the LSP forum, but will be happy to do so here as well.

Let's review your configuration.

You're using RPM's DMX dongle. It puts out the DMX signal on pins 1/2 of the RJ45.

You're using the Rainbow Brain board, and have set the starting DMX address of that board to 1. I haven't looked at the RB specs, but that probably is correct.

You've configured a controller in LSP for 8 RGB channels - 24 DMX channels.

What starting address did you tell LSP to use for this controller? Hopefully '1'.

You've confirmed that the "Support Intensity" box is checked on each of the channels DMX attributes as well, correct?

When you use the "Test Hardware" button by right clicking on the the controller or channel, you get no output on your RB floods, right?

Here's a much simpler test to try:

Plug a RB flood into the first output connection on the RB brain

Instead of using an RGB controller in your LSP sequence, just pick a simple controller, like the Lynx MR16 controller type with 16 individual channels.
    Set the starting address as 1. It still uses the Enttec compatible DMX dongle as the controller protocol.

Make sure the "Support Intensity" is checking on at least the first 2 or 3 channels.

Use the "Test Controller Hardware" option from the controller right click menu. Turn on channel 1 or 2, and see if some of the color LEDs on the RB flood light up.

If you still get nothing, then either you've got a cabling problem (between DMX dongle and RB Brain) or the starting address of the RB Brain is not set to 1.

Not having used the RB Brain, I can't help you with settings/activity lights. You might re-read the docs on that board to ensure that the DMX address is set correctly, and that it expects signal on pins 1/2 of the RJ45. I know that some boards will either blink or not blink an LED on the board if it's correctly receiving a DMX signal.

I'm also assuming that you're using straight thru Cat-5 cables, and not crossover ones.

I'm 2 hours away in the WinstonSalem area, so not close enough for a visit in the near future. But if you're in the area, and give me enough advance notice, I'll be glad to help out anyway that I can. I have several DMX dongles (including the same one that you're using) that could be used to test the RB Brain functionality, and other software besides LSP to use for testing.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Mark If I ever meet you I owe you a beer. Thanks for your help. I found the issue. When you said the cable issue was between the dongle and the brain I decided to look at the dongle piece for piece and turns out the PIC chip that was suppose to be in IC3 socket was in the OC3 socket...swapped them out and tada...IM BLIND!!!

Thanks again. You have started my weekend off on a good foot.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

That would certainly do it, since the chip that in the IC3 socket is the one that talks RS485 out to the controller. If it's not right, then you're not sending anything out. Luckily, the swap didn't hurt the chips and so putting them where they belong made it right.

Hopefully, we'll meet sometime in the next year or so. I'm not fond of beer, but some other suitable beverage will work. Let me know where your display is located, and if I'm down in the Charlotte area closer to Christmas, I might come by...
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!