Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: LOR Cable Pinout

Why such an odd color combination for pins 1, 2, 3, and 6 ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

I Went Static in 2017. FINALLY Moving to Xlights for 2018 !

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I've seen several variations of the A and B schemes. There's nothing to say that that pins 1 and 2 have to be green/Green White. It's just important that you be consistent between ends of the cable. However, I did pull out an old RJ45 jack that is color coded to the B spec, and it does the Green pair on 1/2 and orange on 3/6.

You'll notice that the only difference between A and B is the swapping of the positions of the Green and Orange pairs. The 3/6 combination is due to the way that Cat-5 is spec'd and how the pins are used to transmit things like Ethernet.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Wow, I thought the color change was because they looked better together and were more relaxed. The version A looks too stuffy.

I wonder that Dan Baldwin intended the B version to be for running the power supply + and -. The B version would certainly lend itself to better noise rejection. I'll bet Dan liked the colors better for B version too. The B version is better color coordinated at least for the wires that matter.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Since some people use 4 wire telephone wire for their controllers, is probably why only pins 3, 4, 5 and 6 are used when the RJ-11 is plugged into the RJ-45 jack
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

xLights or BUST in 2018 kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am wiring both ends of the Mighty Mini (1 - spot light waterproof socket and 2 - keystone inside the controller case) to the "B" standard. I see it won't make any difference as long as the cable that I use is wired the same on both ends .. which certainly they all should be ...

I noticed that the keystone jacks that Al purchased for us, all have the color code on the side - - showing both "standards." I would like to ask the boneheads why they changed the standard .. and then still called their new one "standard." I guess that's like semi-boneless ...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

I Went Static in 2017. FINALLY Moving to Xlights for 2018 !

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

If I remember right, the A standard is used in the telecommunications industry (developed back in the old days), and the B standard is used in the computer / networking industry. These days it seems that there is very little difference between the two as most telecommunications now runs on computer networks
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I am wiring both ends of the Mighty Mini (1 - spot light waterproof socket and 2 - keystone inside the controller case) to the "B" standard. I see it won't make any difference as long as the cable that I use is wired the same on both ends .. which certainly they all should be ...

I noticed that the keystone jacks that Al purchased for us, all have the color code on the side - - showing both "standards." I would like to ask the boneheads why they changed the standard .. and then still called their new one "standard." I guess that's like semi-boneless ...
    It's probably because someone needed to define a "cross-over" cable and just called one end the "A" end color pattern and the other the "B" end color pattern. Most normal residential-grade data communication equipment doesn't operate at the speeds of the commercial stuff, and can autoselect if pins 1 and 2 are transmit and 3 and 6 are receive, or vice-versa. Much of the higher-end equipment can't use auto-negotiate, or gives you the opportunity to turn it off, as 1 gib/sec Ethernet tends to screw up doing auto-negotiate, so the cable has to be correct at the get-go.