Thread: Need advice for my first display.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Need advice for my first display.

Hi everyone,

For years I've had a static display, but have decided it's time to move up and get some Blinky flashy to music. I'm starting small with the outlines on the front as well as maybe 6 mini trees along the front lawn. As you can see, I'm also wanting to put in a mega tree on the right. I've put it there because you'll lose it behind the letterbox and shrubs.

I was hoping to go with pixels, either nodes or strips, whichever you guys think will work best. I'm just not sure of controllers and how to go about setting it all up.

I have done so much reading that I've managed to confuse myself. Here's the basics of what I think I'll need....

Controller - possibly Falcon
    Window frame - each has perimeter of 9 metres, so will need nodes or strips
    Mini trees - maybe only a foot to two feet tall, can wrap strip around plant trainer type thing for these.
    Mega tree - looking to go around 10 feet tall with probably 12 strips in a not quite 180 degree layout.

My questions are as follows:
    Will the one controller handle this?
    What sort of power will I be looking at?
    Any other suggestions?
    Would it be easily run from a windows pc?

Obviously I know I'll need extension leads, clips etc so that's the easy part.

Thanks for your help, please place links in replies so I can start a shopping list.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0283.jpg  

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Need advice for my first display.

Quote Originally Posted by Prendy View Post
    Hi everyone,

For years I've had a static display, but have decided it's time to move up and get some Blinky flashy to music. I'm starting small with the outlines on the front as well as maybe 6 mini trees along the front lawn. As you can see, I'm also wanting to put in a mega tree on the right. I've put it there because you'll lose it behind the letterbox and shrubs.

I was hoping to go with pixels, either nodes or strips, whichever you guys think will work best. I'm just not sure of controllers and how to go about setting it all up.

I have done so much reading that I've managed to confuse myself. Here's the basics of what I think I'll need....

Controller - possibly Falcon
    Window frame - each has perimeter of 9 metres, so will need nodes or strips
    Mini trees - maybe only a foot to two feet tall, can wrap strip around plant trainer type thing for these.
    Mega tree - looking to go around 10 feet tall with probably 12 strips in a not quite 180 degree layout.

My questions are as follows:
    Will the one controller handle this?
    What sort of power will I be looking at?
    Any other suggestions?
    Would it be easily run from a windows pc?

Obviously I know I'll need extension leads, clips etc so that's the easy part.

Thanks for your help, please place links in replies so I can start a shopping list.
    Hi and welcome. It's great to see newbies starting out. You are obviously well informed since you know about falcon .. and of course xlights software needs to be your choice (it's technically free but be sure to donate to keep the programmers working on it).

Since you are in Australia, I'd like to direct you to one of the best Forum groups in the country. and it's in your own backyard. Visit auschristmaslighting.com. One of the active members on AusChristmasLighting named FastEddy is also a member here. There are many questions to be answered to get the ones you are asking, and the guys down there might be a better choice since they are in your time zone. FastEddy has written one of the bibles of synchronized lights ..

Here are a few general answers for you.

One Falcon can handle more capacity than my other on the market. Fine choice. i always recommend buying a backup in the event of a problem. make friends locally and some of you could share spare parts! We do that here.

Power depends on which voltage pixels you guy, but 12v is most common. You'd need to be more specific about how many pixels per output and which voltage to get your questions answered about power.

windows PCs are fine for xLights. But with xlights you can also have a direct interfact to Rasberry Pi computers. Do your programming on the Windows PC and let the Pi(s) run your sequences and schedule. They are cheap and you can run many at the same time .. they can be networked with wires or wireless. The software is called Falcon Pi player (FPP)

always goo to build light frames and wood (or PVC) strips so you can mount your lights once, then reinstall each year. you have to include your storage plans at the same time so you have room to store. You'll get tons of tips in AusChristmasLighting.com
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control