Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default House outline spacing

I need advice from the grizzled lighting veterans. I want to outline my house with C9 bulbs. What spacing do you recommend, 4, 6 or 8"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: House outline spacing

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    I need advice from the grizzled lighting veterans. I want to outline my house with C9 bulbs. What spacing do you recommend, 4, 6 or 8"?

Hey .. I resemble that remark ! When I ran incandescent to outline my roof, I used 12." And it looked fine. But the spacing issue is just like when we first built mega trees. The more strings you use, the smoother the look when you chase the lights. The same with the roof outlines. The more you use the better it will look. Since the roof is one of the mot distant props, you don't really need as much. So I would decide between 6" and 8". Another thing I always suggest with roofs, is to mount all your lights and then figure out how you are going to mount each strip of lights. A little extra effort in the beginning makes your setup much simpler in future years. One thing I didn't do in Cary was make all my roof light strips the same size. I am going to try to do that here in Clayton. That will let me replace bad bulbs faster by have a standby. My preference for roof mounting strips was always Cedar 1x2s. Cedar takes forever to rot. I had the house outlined with the same boards for 10 seasons. And I still have those boards here in my shopl Also, wood is easier to mount on a roof than PVC. I use office clips (the larger one) to grab a shingle and the wood strip. Particularly easy for the outside edges this way.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 with multiple Falcon Pi Players

256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX, 2 E681 & 4 E6804 Sandevices, 1 PiCap Falcon Controller,
    Mighty Mini RGB Spots, Pixel Strips, Pixel Nodes, CoroFlakes with Pixel Modules, 10" RGB Ornaments, 2 pixel matrix 16x25,
    TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Pixel RGB RBLs, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks Denny. These are going to be pixel C9 bulbs among incandescent icicles and maybe in the roof. I was planning on 6" so I could do some basic chases and change the colors as groups.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks Denny. These are going to be pixel C9 bulbs among incandescent icicles and maybe in the roof. I was planning on 6" so I could do some basic chases and change the colors as groups.

Very nice plan. I like the 6" idea. are you going to try to use compatible colors of white on the roof, to match your incans ?

Here's my challenge .. I am motivated by my wife to try to avoid mixing bright white with warm white. She is very artistic and has a great sense of color and style. This past Christmas when Helen and I would drive around looking at lights, she would always point out the bright LEDs ruining the warmth of the warm white (or incandescents). She does appreciate the displays who go all the way to bright white .. which is mostly the "all pixel" displays.

Having been slowly moving away from incans for three years, I have acquired tons of warm white LEDs. I want to keep the classic look as much as possible and mix in pixels. So I am going to have to figure out how to get Xlights to make warm white happen (all the time). I just hope it can be easy so I don't have to constantly go back and edit everything on step at a time. I figure then I could use the bright white to twinkle now and then. Like tiny strobes. I plan to post discussions about this on the Xlights sites, but not until I am familiar enough to be able to understand the replies that I get. Maybe even some tips from Sean ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX, 2 E681 & 4 E6804 Sandevices, 1 PiCap Falcon Controller,
    Mighty Mini RGB Spots, Pixel Strips, Pixel Nodes, CoroFlakes with Pixel Modules, 10" RGB Ornaments, 2 pixel matrix 16x25,
    TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Pixel RGB RBLs, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default House outline spacing

Yes I am going to try and match the warmth of the incandescent. I tested this with my existing pixels sitting next to a string of incandescents and I got it really close. I didn't spend a ton of time because every batch of pixels will have different colors with the same color values. I'll take the time to find those values once all my lights come. I'm hoping I can pick 1 value that will work for all pixels but likely not.
    In Xlights you can make custom colors so all you have to do is drop the color of white onto your model. You will just have a couple preset white colors 1 for bright white and at least 1 for the warm white colors. I am not sure if you can apply a color change to existing effects all at once. I would guess you could do that or hopefully that feature will be added in the future.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yes I am going to try and match the warmth of the incandescent. I tested this with my existing pixels sitting next to a string of incandescents and I got it really close. I didn't spend a ton of time because every batch of pixels will have different colors with the same color values. I'll take the time to find those values once all my lights come. I'm hoping I can pick 1 value that will work for all pixels but likely not.
    In Xlights you can make custom colors so all you have to do is drop the color of white onto your model. You will just have a couple preset white colors 1 for bright white and at least 1 for the warm white colors. I am not sure if you can apply a color change to existing effects all at once. I would guess you could do that or hopefully that feature will be added in the future.

This is a great info ! I am glad you tried it. I was wondering if different pixels might yield different warm white. I'll have to pick something to get me started and tweak it later if it doesn't look good with the real lights.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole