Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default What do you think of my house layout

Hello Everyone. I am reworking much of my house layout for next year. I would like your input on the following layout. I am going to have incandescent icicles, LED lights around the windows on bushes and maybe 1 tree. In the attached picture I used different colors to designate 1) white incandescent lights (icicles) 2) multiple color LED lights that will be on unique AC channels and 3) RGB/pixels. The red dots are controllers, so ignore them. I am trying to decide if I should keep my big pixel tree on the right side of the house in front of that big pine tree or place it somewhere else. This tree will reach about 13 feet and then have a 2 foot star on top (it is drawn pretty close to scale). And if the big pixel tree is on the right side would it look good or bad to have a smaller 8 foot pixel tree on the left side along side the multiple color pine tree?
    Thanks
    -house-layout.jpg

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default What do you think of my house layout

One more thing. I was thinking about adding some RGB strips under my eaves instead of floods to give me some options to light up the house. Would this look good when I also have icicles? I'm not sure if they would both be used at the same time or not. My thought was under all the eaves including the peaks and then use floods to light up the porch. You can see an example in the video of this post. Around 1:30 you can really see them in action above his garage door.
    Does anyone want to let me borrow a section of extra strip to test this? The video uses 60 led/m strips but I could test anything for a start.
    My show 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by EricR; 01-03-2017 at 10:52 PM.
    Likes Steve Chais liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: What do you think of my house layout

I like it. I think that is a good layout. You may want to consider moving the arches or mini trees away from the house so you can get some depth effects. Think front to back movements too. I don't have any extra strips or I'd let you borrow one. The extra I had I used to replace a bad one on my tree Christmas Eve. I do wonder if the icicles and strips would compete if they were both on but I can see using them independently. I like the pixel tree on that corner. If you curve it you could get some exposure to the side a little too.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    I like it. I think that is a good layout. You may want to consider moving the arches or mini trees away from the house so you can get some depth effects. Think front to back movements too. I don't have any extra strips or I'd let you borrow one. The extra I had I used to replace a bad one on my tree Christmas Eve. I do wonder if the icicles and strips would compete if they were both on but I can see using them independently. I like the pixel tree on that corner. If you curve it you could get some exposure to the side a little too.
    Thanks for the comments. The big mega tree is switching to 2" spacing like Matt's and will have 20-24 strings of 75 so I can wrap it a little on the side and will be fatter at the bottom. The shorter pixel tree I would make about 270 degrees. That was the best I could come up with for that big open area left of the garage.

I couldnt draw it right but the arches are going to be in front of that magnolia bush in the middle with a little tree under each. This will put them back from the sidewalk about 4-5 feet. They will start about 5 feet from the edge of the driveway. Do people like the little trees under the arches? Otherwise I could put those 4 front to back in a row. Would you rather have the arches along the driveway, 2 on each side and move the 8 little trees?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I love the design. I will add onto what Joe stated. You should always think about the depth and the width in a good design. Much of the drama comes from effects that float forward towards those viewing. Everyone expects the left to right, but the forward and back is where you get the eyebrows up .. Your design is so well packed in the yard. And it's always good leave some growth plans. I would suggest for 2018 that you focus getting small items on the roof, and bulbs up to the top of the roof. Very nice Eric. A nice big step up from what you have this year.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I love the design. I will add onto what Joe stated. You should always think about the depth and the width in a good design. Much of the drama comes from effects that float forward towards those viewing. Everyone expects the left to right, but the forward and back is where you get the eyebrows up .. Your design is so well packed in the yard. And it's always good leave some growth plans. I would suggest for 2018 that you focus getting small items on the roof, and bulbs up to the top of the roof. Very nice Eric. A nice big step up from what you have this year.
    I'm open to anyone's suggestions on how to add depth.