Thread: How do I reach the peak of my house?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default How do I reach the peak of my house?

Hello, I need some advice. For the past few years I have wanted to add icicle lights to the top peak of my house (see 2 pictures below). Here is my problem. How do I reach it? The peak is about 28 feet above the ground and 15 feet above the little roof below it. This little roof below the peak has an angle of 19 degrees so sitting a ladder on it without a support will not work. My plan was to attach the lights to 1x2 wood and then use binder clips to clamp onto the overhanging shingles. This would be the fastest installation. Please let me know what you guys think or would recommend.
    These are the options I have thought about:
    1) Use a 32 foot ladder which will reach the peak and touch the ground just in front of my bushes. The problem would be the lower edges of the peak because with a ladder on the ground the ladder would be laying really horizontal. I could probably access it from the left on the roof and the right using a ladder on the ground to the right of the house.
    2) Use roof jacks with a 2x10 attached and put the ladder on that with some sort of strapping and extra board to prevent kick out. I really don't want to put holes in my roof if I don't have to.
    3) Of course a drivable boom lift, but that gets expensive over the years.
    4) A pulley at the very peak of the house mounted under the eave. Then use a rope to lift up a "^" shaped structure made of 1x2 with a pivot point at the top so I could spread it to fit the roof shape.

In the attached pictures the upper blue line is where I want to hang the icicles. The bottom blue line in front of the bushes is where a ladder would sit to reach the top peak.
    -img_3030edit.jpg-img_3354edit.jpg

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: How do I reach the peak of my house?

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    Hello, I need some advice. For the past few years I have wanted to add icicle lights to the top peak of my house (see 2 pictures below). Here is my problem. How do I reach it? The peak is about 28 feet above the ground and 15 feet above the little roof below it. This little roof below the peak has an angle of 19 degrees so sitting a ladder on it without a support will not work. My plan was to attach the lights to 1x2 wood and then use binder clips to clamp onto the overhanging shingles. This would be the fastest installation. Please let me know what you guys think or would recommend.
    These are the options I have thought about:
    1) Use a 32 foot ladder which will reach the peak and touch the ground just in front of my bushes. The problem would be the lower edges of the peak because with a ladder on the ground the ladder would be laying really horizontal. I could probably access it from the left on the roof and the right using a ladder on the ground to the right of the house.
    2) Use roof jacks with a 2x10 attached and put the ladder on that with some sort of strapping and extra board to prevent kick out. I really don't want to put holes in my roof if I don't have to.
    3) Of course a drivable boom lift, but that gets expensive over the years.
    4) A pulley at the very peak of the house mounted under the eave. Then use a rope to lift up a "^" shaped structure made of 1x2 with a pivot point at the top so I could spread it to fit the roof shape.

In the attached pictures the upper blue line is where I want to hang the icicles. The bottom blue line in front of the bushes is where a ladder would sit to reach the top peak.
    -img_3030edit.jpg-img_3354edit.jpg
    I attached my roof lights the same way in Cary, except my roof was easily walkable. My house in Clayton has a steep roof, so I purchase a safety harness system. I demonstrated it at the Feb TASL. I still have to get the safety clips screwed to the roof, just under the top row of shingles. Then each time I go up I'll go straight to the clip and connect a heavy traveler rope. The rest is not easily explained here. I think I may have posted a link to what I bought, in a previous post. Getting too tired to look right now. I'll try to remember to find it.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Likes robertz liked this post