Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Want to buy: A 4, 6 or 8-channel dimming controller

Dimming preferred not mandatory. The controller doesn't have to be LOR as I'm open to Vixen. I've got a buddy with a new pontoon boat and he wants to enter into the local July 4th and Christmas boat parades on the lake. I'll hook him up with a Tunecast II transmitter so he can blast WiW to all his neighbors...

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Want to buy: A 4, 6 or 8-channel dimming controller

IF he has AC power available to him, he's got less than 4 hours to go for this coop over at DIY Light Animation http://diylightanimation.com/index.php?topic=2727.0

He also has to be able to put together a kit. Coop closes at 8 PM EDT today. Anticipated price for a 4 channel controller (with dimming) - no enclosure - is $21.71 plus dongle plus computer.

If he wants to run DC they also have the MR16, but no current coop going on right now.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The current carrying capabilities for the SSR4 is rather low. Without a heatsink, it can handle 1 amp per channel. With a heatsink it can handle only 2 amps if you put it in the small plastic enclosure. If you put it into a metal enclosure and rig the heatsinks to transfer the heat to the enclosure you could raise it up higher than 2. I'm going to try that and put the little guy into a tiny aluminum enclosure and run 4 amps per channel. It should work okay.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    The current carrying capabilities for the SSR4 is rather low. Without a heatsink, it can handle 1 amp per channel. With a heatsink it can handle only 2 amps if you put it in the small plastic enclosure. If you put it into a metal enclosure and rig the heatsinks to transfer the heat to the enclosure you could raise it up higher than 2. I'm going to try that and put the little guy into a tiny aluminum enclosure and run 4 amps per channel. It should work okay.
    Other than popping the fuse or overheating the pcb traces which are no where heavy enough to safely carry that kind of current.

RJ

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I thought about that too, a short piece of jumper wire should handle it. I don't recommend other doing this, but I understand the limitations of the pc board and components. The application that I am using this one controller will have a very low duty cycle. I considered placing my own power section onto a heatsink which would easily handle that much power and current carrying capabilities. I need 4 amps in a very small package.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Just be safe in what ever you do. I always have to play the safety cop when its a board with my name on it. I am sure everyone can understand.

RJ