Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Falcon Raspberry Pi VESA cases

Requests so far:
    Kidcole - 1 Pi3 case blue over red.
    EricR - 1 Pi3 case red over red.

As some of you know I got a 3D printer for myself for Christmas. I've found this thing incredibly useful for our hobby too. Just recently I found files for a nice Raspberry Pi case online. Then I discovered there is a small diy Christmas lighting group on the 3D printer files website - Topics - DIY Holiday Decoration and Props - Groups - Thingiverse. On one of these a person took that Pi case file and changed the top so it has the Falcon Christmas logo. Very cool.

What I'm considering doing is printing a bunch of these and selling them at a reasonable cost. What I would do is keep $1 to cover screws and donate the remaining profits to the XLights and FPP developers. There is a guy doing a similar thing over on their forums for the Pi Hat case. He's selling them for $20 will all profit going to the developers. I was thinking a more reasonable $10 but you're welcome to donate whatever you want. We've all talked about donating money to these guys - even in the last meeting. Some of us have. For those of you on the fence how about donating and getting something out of it? I'd love some feedback on this idea.

I've posted a picture of the case below. The Pi fit is great and has VESA mounting holes and fits all the popular CG1500 and other cases perfectly. I can print this for the Pi 2's and 3's. The others I'll have to confirm first. Right now I can do any combination of white, red, yellow, or blue. It will come with 4 screws to close up the case. I didn't screw the Pi down inside the case as the fit is snug enough IMO not to need it. You can if you like. Since I don't know how you want to mount it and into what I will not be including screws for that. These will be printed in PLA material - a biodegradable thermoplastic derived from renewable resources.

I've also looked into a case for the Beaglebone with Octoscroller attached. If I can test one and it works you can have your choice. I could also do the Pi case with PiHat but I'm not sure how I feel about undercutting the price it is being sold over on the other website. Before you ask no, it doesn't fit the PiCaps we bought during the group buy but I'm also looking into that. Here's how the PiHat case looks - Case for Falcon PiCap on a Pi3 by robomello - Thingiverse

This wouldn't be a long term thing, more like 10-20 cases total. You guys know you can always contact me if you need something printed and I'd just do it for you. The material isn't that expensive, it's just the time involved to print them.
    Last edited by Tripplett; 12-30-2016 at 07:43 PM.
    Thanks FrankP thanked for this post
    Likes rcktpwrd liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Falcon Raspberry Pi VESA cases

Deleted

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I would be in for 1.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    Before you ask no, it doesn't fit the PiCaps we bought during the group buy but I'm also looking into that.
    This is wrong. What we bought was the PiHat, not the PiCap. The statement is still true that there isn't a case for the ones we bought - the PiHats.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'd like one. Blue over red would be fun. But if you already have them printed, blue over yellow is OK too. This is great that you are donating to the developers.

I was going to mention to everyone that once you start using the xLights software (using the translation tools to move from LOR, inputting your props, etc), please don't forget to donate to them. If you are not sure what to donate, I think we were paying $35 per year for a current LOR license. And xLights is FAR more powerful than LOR. Of course there is no set amounts, so give them what you think they are worth.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

This is wrong. What we bought was the PiHat, not the PiCap. The statement is still true that there isn't a case for the ones we bought - the PiHats.
    That was what I deleted but realized after I posted. The other guy is selling the one that fits the Falcon PiCap but still not the RevC hats we bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have a bunch of pi-s but several are using pi-hats...

However, Id be in for a couple of these- dont care about the color.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Requests so far:
    Kidcole - 1 Pi3 case blue over red.
    EricR - 1 Pi3 case red over red.
    Paul Lowe - 2 Pi3 cases any color.
    I don't see a way to edit my original post any longer. Some of you more savvy with this forum let me know how best to keep a running tally. Also, Please let me know if you want a case other than a Pi3. I believe the 2 & 3 are almost identical. The 3 has a 'lower' cutout slot for the SD card so you can get the card out easier. So a 3 should work for a 2 but not the other way around.

One last thing. I'm going to order the screws in bulk. I prefer hex screws for my cases - as seen in the picture. If people prefer phillips then I will go that route. Ultimately what I may do is just order 50 of each and let you all pick. The cases will be brought to the first TASL meeting. If you can't make the meeting and are around the Cary area you're more than welcome to pick them up or we can meet somewhere. Feel free to reach out to me.

As for the donation - I intend to make one large donation to the FPP and XLights donation pages. It will be labeled from the NC TASL group comprising of xx members and will include a note and a reference to our forum. if you want to donate yourself so you can have your userID or personal note attached please feel free. Just let me know you donated and all I will need is the $1.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The best way to keep a tally is just to post your list every now and then. For the screws, I don't mind whatever screw type you choose.

I like your plan to donate extra profits from the printing. I think it's a good idea that we remind folks that once they start putting their real configurations into Xlights, that's a good time to start donating. Those guys are working their tails off for us, and it seems like around the clock since they are also on Facebook all the time .. helping everyone. My opinion is that even tho Xlights and FPP are "free," users should donate every year. For comparison, I believe the LOR annual license is about $35. So comparing the capabilities of LOR with those of FFP/XL, is FPP worth at least as much as LOR ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Falcon Raspberry Pi VESA cases

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    I have a bunch of pi-s but several are using pi-hats...

However, Id be in for a couple of these- dont care about the color.
    I've spent the afternoon learning some 3D modeling software - Tinkercad can modify existing .stl files. Tonight I started modifying an existing case to fit the Pi with a PiHat attached. I'll have a case for it ready this week. I'd like to get $1 extra on the PiHat cases to recoup some of my learning and design time so I will keep $2 of these cases. I will supply this case with some type of support for the daughter board - either a shelf or suitable standoffs. As soon as I have one I'll upload a picture. Each case takes about 4.5 hrs total to print.

Also I've confirmed these cases will fit a Pi B+, 2, and 3.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

After several test prints and a lot of tweaks I'm happy to share with you a PiHat case. Feel free to request these as well as the PiCap and Pi2,3,B+ cases.

Likes rcktpwrd liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Very nice. And I love these projects where some of the proceeds are going to the XL/Falcon developers! Looks like David Pitts has started doing the same thing.

Please hold off on printing my case. I just ordered the newest PiCap from David Pitts and I want to change the case for it. I need to figure out which Pi will get the Pi Cap. I am pretty sure it will be one of the Pi 2s that we all bought together. But I also kinda like to keep those for areas where I need better wireless. I am putting the PiCap on the roof to drive my two new matrixes that were designed to be similar to the American Flags. I'll use them for flags but also for other graphics and maybe text. Maybe I should grab a Pi3 for them instead ?

My original flags have been used outside since about 2005, and are now in storage. They are worn slam out, but I don't have the heart to trash them. I might wire them on the ceiling or something :-)
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm in for 2-3. Give me a few days for an exact count. I need to go back and figure out what I was going to do along these lines from 9 months ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am now confused. Are you making cases for both the PiHat (CFOL/Darrell Pellegrin) and PiCap (Falcon/Dave Pitts)?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    I am now confused. Are you making cases for both the PiHat (CFOL/Darrell Pellegrin) and PiCap (Falcon/Dave Pitts)?
    I am now. Just finished the PiHat case of my own design.