Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 42

Thread: Falcon Raspberry Pi VESA cases

  1. #16
    Registered User Tripplett's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    466
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    57
    Mentioned
    42
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    165

    Default Re: Falcon Raspberry Pi VESA cases

    Requests so far:
    Kidcole - ON HOLD - 1 Pi3 case blue over red.
    EricR - 2 Pi3 cases - red & Blue. 1 PiHat case any color.
    Paul Lowe - 2 Pi3 cases any color.
    Scottmcl - 2 or 3 cases.


    I'm happy to post that I've modified my PiHat case to also work with the version that has the buck converter and RTC. I can now make just about any Pi or Beaglebone case you want. I'd love to have some new colors but right now still just Red, Blue, Yellow, or White. The White is ABS and is giving me problems but if you must I'll try it. The rest are PLA.

    -pihat-rtc.jpg
    Thanks FrankP thanked for this post

  2. #17
    Registered User Tripplett's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    466
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    57
    Mentioned
    42
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    165

    Default Re: Falcon Raspberry Pi VESA cases

    Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    I am now confused. Are you making cases for both the PiHat (CFOL/Darrell Pellegrin) and PiCap (Falcon/Dave Pitts)?
    A little clarification here for the PiCap cases...

    I just realized that the PiCap case I found on Thingiverse is NOT the one they are selling on FalconChristmas.com for $20 plus shipping. The one I found is not as nice but fully functional. So, I can do these without guilt. It looks like there are three parts so pricing may be a dollar more. Once I look at the total print times and material I'll finalize that.

    Does anyone have or plans on buying a PiCap? I think I saw a few posts with people saying yes.

    The picture below is the one I can't do. The file is not free and would be for personal use only. If you want this case it is $20 plus shipping over at FalconChristmas or about $6 if you have your own printer.


    Now this one I can do. I can't sell this design but since I'm donating all but the $1 for the screws To the FPP and XLights developers I can offer it.

  3. #18
    Registered User EricR's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Apex NC
    Posts
    329
    Thanks (Received)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    48
    Mentioned
    25
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    123

    Default Re: Falcon Raspberry Pi VESA cases

    Denny ordered the Falcon PiCap already. I will be getting one but not immediately. I did however print the case you can print last week. It took little over 4 hours total time on the Duke printers. 2 hours for the bottom and 1 hour each for the tops.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #19
    Havin fun ! kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    3,962
    Thanks (Received)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    233
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    76
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    398

    Default Re: Falcon Raspberry Pi VESA cases

    Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    Denny ordered the Falcon PiCap already. I will be getting one but not immediately. I did however print the case you can print last week. It took little over 4 hours total time on the Duke printers. 2 hours for the bottom and 1 hour each for the tops.
    Yes, I ordered the latest PiCap. David was selling them for $35 shipped. And he's giving half to the other developers. I am not sure if this is different from the 3d files you found or not. Perhaps I can give it to you when it arrives .. to see how it matches up. I don't know if it's the same $20 one or not. I thought he added more features. The one I bought will output 800 pixels on each output (2400 channels) .. which is 4800 channels for the board. I am going to use it to drive my two new Flag Matrixes. Two frames with 400 pixels each in 16x25 configuration with 2" spacing (30" x 48"). They will sit on the roof. Perfect for the PiCap with RasPi slave .. wireless to the Master.
    Thanks,

    Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

    Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

    Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

  5. #20
    Registered User Tripplett's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    466
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    57
    Mentioned
    42
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    165

    Default Re: Falcon Raspberry Pi VESA cases

    I published the two PiHat cases on Thingiverse for anyone that has a printer or access to one.
    Falcon Logo with PiHat cases by Tripplett - Thingiverse

  6. #21
    Havin fun ! kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    3,962
    Thanks (Received)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    233
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    76
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    398

    Default Re: Falcon Raspberry Pi VESA cases

    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    I published the two PiHat cases on Thingiverse for anyone that has a printer or access to one.
    Falcon Logo with PiHat cases by Tripplett - Thingiverse
    Falcon calls their latest one the PiCap. Have you seen one yet ?
    Thanks,

    Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

    Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

    Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

  7. #22
    Registered User Tripplett's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    466
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    57
    Mentioned
    42
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    165

    Default Re: Falcon Raspberry Pi VESA cases

    Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Falcon calls their latest one the PiCap. Have you seen one yet ?
    Just pictures. The PiHats I have are the ones we got almost a year ago. If I was going to buy one now I'd probably get the PiCap from FC since it can also do LOR native off the cap. That said, for non LOR use they both get the job done just as well.

  8. #23
    Havin fun ! kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    3,962
    Thanks (Received)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    233
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    76
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    398

    Default Re: Falcon Raspberry Pi VESA cases

    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    Just pictures. The PiHats I have are the ones we got almost a year ago. If I was going to buy one now I'd probably get the PiCap from FC since it can also do LOR native off the cap. That said, for non LOR use they both get the job done just as well.
    The new Falcon PiCap supports 1600 pixels ! But it sounds like your 3D cover won't fit my PiCap. I don't own a PiHat. Maybe someone will release a 3D cover for the PiCap ...
    Last edited by kidcole; 01-13-2017 at 11:16 AM.
    Thanks,

    Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

    Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

    Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

  9. #24
    Registered User Tripplett's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    466
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    57
    Mentioned
    42
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    165

    Default Re: Falcon Raspberry Pi VESA cases

    Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    The new Falcon PiCap supports 1600 pixels ! But it sounds like your 3D cover won't fit my PiCap. I don't own a PiHat. Maybe someone will release a 3D cover for the PiCap ...
    The bottom picture above, #17 , is of the case i can make that will fit the PiCap. The top picture in that post is also a different really nice case for the PiCap on FalconChristmas for $20 where the profits go to the devs - I can't make that one. And actually it is FPP as a software that supports 1600 pixels, not the hardware like the PiCap or even the PiHat. The only thing the PiHat and PiCap do is give you an easy pluggable way to connect your lights to the GPIO pins of the Pi. You could do the same thing by soldering the wires directly to the Pi, just not as cleanly. And you wouldn't get some of the extra features these daughter boards offer like buck converters, LOR/DMX plugs, or real time clocks on board. Did I confuse you there? Sorry.
    Last edited by kidcole; 01-13-2017 at 11:16 AM.

  10. #25
    Registered User Tripplett's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    466
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    57
    Mentioned
    42
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    165

    Default Re: Falcon Raspberry Pi VESA cases

    I think what may have confused you in post 17 above is I said "I can't sell this design but since I'm donating all but the $1 for the screws To the FPP and XLights developers I can offer it."
    What I meant is that designs by other people on Thingiverse can't be sold for a profit. I can however offer it for $11 with $10 of that going as a donation to the developers at FPP and the remaining $1 going to me for the screws. Therefore I am not really selling it for a profit. You are just making a donation and I'm giving you the case for free.

  11. #26
    Havin fun ! kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    3,962
    Thanks (Received)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    233
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    76
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    398

    Default Re: Falcon Raspberry Pi VESA cases

    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    I think what may have confused you in post 17 above is I said "I can't sell this design but since I'm donating all but the $1 for the screws To the FPP and XLights developers I can offer it."
    What I meant is that designs by other people on Thingiverse can't be sold for a profit. I can however offer it for $11 with $10 of that going as a donation to the developers at FPP and the remaining $1 going to me for the screws. Therefore I am not really selling it for a profit. You are just making a donation and I'm giving you the case for free.
    Yes. and partly because I didn't read it close enough. After looking at these, I am wondering if your might be better. My thoughts on the fully covered one are about how much heat it might trap. since these covers are not fully sealed and would need to be inside a box with the power supply, what is their advantage?
    Thanks,

    Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

    Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

    Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

  12. #27
    Registered User Tripplett's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    466
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    57
    Mentioned
    42
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    165

    Default Re: Falcon Raspberry Pi VESA cases

    Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Yes. and partly because I didn't read it close enough. After looking at these, I am wondering if your might be better. My thoughts on the fully covered one are about how much heat it might trap. since these covers are not fully sealed and would need to be inside a box with the power supply, what is their advantage?
    Looks? And a little more protection I suppose. I've never really had a heat problem with any of my Pi's. I don't overclock them and so far I haven't put one in an enclosure with other hot things like power supplies. I do put a heat sync on the ones that come with them - why not. But I ran my show for two years from a Pi with no heat sync and the Pi was in my headroom in a closed up case.

  13. #28
    Registered User Tripplett's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    466
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    57
    Mentioned
    42
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    165

    Default Re: Falcon Raspberry Pi VESA cases

    This was just posted on the FPP Facebook page. So the only difference between the PiCap and PiHat as expected is the extra outputs.


  14. #29
    Havin fun ! kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    3,962
    Thanks (Received)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    233
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    76
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    398

    Default Re: Falcon Raspberry Pi VESA cases

    Thanks for sharing the comparison. i LOVE the DMX output. That was what drove me to buying one. It's a perfect way to distribute a wireless DMX to my roof, along with driving the pixels on my two 16 x 25 matrixes (2" spacing). Those replace the roof flags I ran in Cary. I'll use them for the flag images and other things.

    If I end up needing channels in a neighbor's yard in the future, I'll probably use another PiCap, for DMX to drive some AC controllers. My next door neighbor who wanted to do this with me is now separated. Sadly they will be moving out !
    Thanks,

    Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

    Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

    Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

  15. #30
    Registered User EricR's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Apex NC
    Posts
    329
    Thanks (Received)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    48
    Mentioned
    25
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    123

    Default Re: Falcon Raspberry Pi VESA cases

    Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Thanks for sharing the comparison. i LOVE the DMX output. That was what drove me to buying one. It's a perfect way to distribute a wireless DMX to my roof, along with driving the pixels on my two 16 x 25 matrixes (2" spacing). Those replace the roof flags I ran in Cary. I'll use them for the flag images and other things.

    If I end up needing channels in a neighbor's yard in the future, I'll probably use another PiCap, for DMX to drive some AC controllers. My next door neighbor who wanted to do this with me is now separated. Sadly they will be moving out !
    I plan on using both this year. The PiCap to drive some LOR controllers. The PiHat to drive some pixel props.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •