Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Looking for a deal

Alright I'm looking for a couple of toys for nest Christmas Season.
    Another LOR 16 channel controller, and an FM signal transmitter. I can find everything on line, but nothing wrong with nosing around here a little bit too.

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Looking for a deal

I don't think anyone on here is really willing to let loose of their LOR 16 channel controllers unless they fully commit to either getting out of it entirely (ala Mel Welch) or go 100% pixels and/or DMX.

However, LOR does generally have 2 sales per year; one is an inventory clearance sale that has a floating date - watch their forums as to exactly when - and I mean down to the minute; the stuff goes FAST. The other is the Summer Sale.

For the inventory clearance sale - generally used to clear their existing inventory for tax reason - you need to watch for when the sale starts; pre-load your credit card information, and hope you get in within the first 30-45 seconds of them "opening the doors." I've heard stories of people seeing several hundred CTB-16PC's available when they selected how many they wanted, and by the time they fill in their credit card information, the supply is sold out. Yeah, hundreds going in less than a minute.

Other devices last longer; some as long as several hours.

As for the FM transmitter, you'll find that a lot of people on here like the Ramsey and EDM products. You might find someone willing to part with an older unit when they upgrade to something that has RDS on it.

Me, I went the eBay way, bought a chinese PLL unit I've been happy with. $10 for the unit, but was $35 shipping.

Get or make yourself a good antenna for that. That part is important.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I snagged a few deals on CTB16's this month, but the opportunities were far and few between....
    2 full controllers for $300
    4 CTB16PC boards-only for $200.

Those were steals...

Most of the other stuff Ive seen for sale is at prices HIGHER than what LOR will sell them for new in the Spring sales..... For example, I refuse to pay more than $220 for a used controller.... just not worth it (unless you are desperate).

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    I snagged a few deals on CTB16's this month, but the opportunities were far and few between....
    2 full controllers for $300
    4 CTB16PC boards-only for $200.

Those were steals...

Most of the other stuff Ive seen for sale is at prices HIGHER than what LOR will sell them for new in the Spring sales..... For example, I refuse to pay more than $220 for a used controller.... just not worth it (unless you are desperate).
    Excellent finds. I mounted some CTB16PC boards in the CG1500 cases. Those cases are probably available for good prices right now. I can show one at the TASL (if I remember) ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

if i was looking for an fm transmitter id not take the chance on a cheap one my moneys spent on things that last when i did my research 4 years ago all the old timers told me to go with the edm unit from these folks Index and to use this antenna FM DX Antenna Co: Tunable 1/4-wave FM Broadcast Transmitter Antenna, FM Transmitter Antennas i did as thay said and have never regretted it.
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

If you're willing to build a board, you can get a Renard SS24 for about $75-$80 plus case (~$15) plus power cords.

2015 Renard SS Group Buy - Round 1 - Page 2

A group buy is going on right now. Limit of 2 amps per channel, limit of (as I remember) 15 amps per channel back (12 channels per bank)

Will NOT work with LOR protocol but can work with DMX. I have 5 of these, along with my 5 LOR CTB16PC controllers. I'm happy with them.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Since I'm really just getting started I'm going to use the Light O Rama stuff for a while. Thanks for the post though!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkboy2 View Post
    Since I'm really just getting started I'm going to use the Light O Rama stuff for a while. Thanks for the post though!
    Well, IMO, LOR is the way to go when your getting started. I stuck to LOR for 2 years and Im just now venturing out from it.

Unless you see something really cheap now, Id wait for the Spring Madness Sale or whatever LOR calls it. You can get a LOR15-channel controller for $199 fully assembled, cheaper if you're willing to put it together.
    Likes scottmcl liked this post