Thread: TechShop Raleigh. TASL folks please read.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default TechShop Raleigh. TASL folks please read.

At the fair last night I stumbled upon a vendor that has something really neat. It is called Techshop and it is a business that you buy a membership, and they give you free access to very sophisticated machinery like CNC milling machines, laser engraving, electronics, printed circuit board design, etc. If we (TASL folks in Raleigh area) got together and bought a membership, it would give us access to the use of these services. The membership is steep for one person, but if TASL bought a floating membership (expensive but shared over several people would not be bad), then our members would have free access to the machinery. We could make sheet metal projects with custom milling, TIG and MIG welders, vacuum forming machinery for making expensive covers for lights (I just had a couple of these made and it would have paid for a good portion of the membership), custom routed signs, etc.

Denny, we should talk about this as a bullet for the next TASL committee meeting. Jack took some pictures from the fair. I think Jack likes the concept of this place too.
    Al
    http://www.techshoprdu.com/

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: TechShop Raleigh. TASL folks please read.

Wow! What fun!!!
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I logged it in our TASL Team Operations notes for next meeting.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I've been to their location, which is off Glenwood north of Raleigh. They had been in Durham, then somewhere near RDU, and now in their new place.

If it wasn't so far away for me, I would have bought a membership, especially since my son lives in Brier Creek and I could visit. But I digress...

They've got some cool stuff, but be aware that in order to use some of the equipment, you do have to attend and pay for a "safety class" on that area or set of equipment. You can't just waltz in there and decide to use the laser engraver/cutter without taking the 1-2 hour class. Also, during some of the year, that equipment gets reserved and is in use 12-18 hours a day (during normal open hours).

I do have to add that when my wife and I stopped by the TechShop exhibit at the state fair last week, she saw a picture of a wooden piece that looked like jewelry that was done in the laser cutter, and said, "Can we do that?" So she's willing to possibly fund part of a home-built CNC machine/laser cutter. I like it when the spouse says those kind of things...
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I would expect a safety and usage class

There is an open house on Oct 30th between noon and 4pm. Tours are at 1,2,3 pm. I plan to be there.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    There is an open house on Oct 30th between noon and 4pm. Tours are at 1,2,3 pm. I plan to be there.
    Remind me when you are going and I will try to join you ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

TechShop is located on Triangle Dr, right near Umstead Park and the Angus Barn on Glenwood. My office is on Triangle just down from these guys. There is a small brewery next door and we see them there sometimes after work. They seem like good guys and their shop is top notch.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Today's Groupon is $125 for Two-Month Membership and Six Hours of Classes at TechShop ($378 value)...

http://www.groupon.com/deals/tech-shop
    Rob

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

That's an amazing deal. I wish I had time. I loved the place. But for me to get my value out of it, I would need to be retired and drop a few hobbies. Then as much as I love the lights, my antique outboards and my modeling business would always be first .. I wish our solar system allowed just a few more hours of daylight per day. And everything would would be nearly perfect if our bodies only required 4 hours sleep .. I think I blew it back in my 20s. I knew I needed to become wealthy really fast and then retire at age 35 ... Somehow I didn't make it ...

The people running the place were great ! .. except one picky gal at the front desk who (when I first walked in) was blessing out one of the guys for not filling out some form when he took someone on a tour. Then I found out she was just a volunteer I was most impressed that they had an SLA (plastic) printer and not many people use it. I'd love to play with that thing for a while ! I dreamed of buying that exact model a couple years ago ... And what about that giant CNC plasma cutter ... Whoooooooo Boy. Now we're talking awesome giant Christmas light effects cut from solid steel. ...with nice flat surfaces for the RGB nodes to stick to !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Toymaker/Delivery Guy Santa Shannon's Avatar
    Status
    Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Sad news for those of us who might have dreamed of someday justifying a membership:

MAKE | TechShop Raleigh-Durham to Close
    Check out my professional Santa website, That's Santa!.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

That was certainly quick and sudden...

I know I visited there with my son who lives in the area. It was a nice concept, but the prices and location didn't make it worth doing. I would have loved to have access to the laser cutter and big CNC machine but it wasn't close enough for me.

There is a makerspace in Winston, and another one forming in Greensboro. But there's more than 3D printing to talk about, so I haven't joined any local ones.

We'll see what develops...
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Very sad. I enjoyed the place. But it was too far from Cary. I think if it was in Raleigh they could have made it ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Registered User masterelectrician2112's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default TechShop Raleigh. TASL folks please read.

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    There is a makerspace in Winston, and another one forming in Greensboro. But there's more than 3D printing to talk about, so I haven't joined any local ones.

We'll see what develops...
    What exactly is a makerspace? I've never heard of it before.