Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TASL Welding workshop Apr3, 2010 9am Place will be PMed once you sign up.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default TASL Welding workshop Apr3, 2010 9am Place will be PMed once you sign up.

Note: The date has been changed to Apr3, 2010.

Walter's Bethlehem Star was quite popular at the last TASL meeting. If you want to own one here is how to do it.

We are going to have a TASL welding workshop for Walter's version of the Bethlehem Star. I will buy the steel and have tools available to cut it. You simply pay for what you use. I plan to build a pattern to hold it while being welded. If someone has a pair of bolt cutters, die cutter, or metal cutting saw that would be helpful. You should bring some rough sandpaper to sand the ends of the rods prior to welding. After you cut it to size and lay it out on the pattern, I will weld it for you. I'll have a better idea of steel costs in a week or so, but if I remember correctly it was about $30 for Walter's star including the holding bracket.

Here is one caveat. The bracket pattern that we have available was designed to saddle the apex of the roof front to back. With respect to the picture, Walter's star was designed to fit on the house's main body not on the garage. However, I want to build one for myself, and it will sit on the garage (with respect to the picture). So, I will likely work out the details before Mar 27 or we may get together later for the brackets.

So, sign up on this thread if you want a star by Mar 14, 2010 so I can buy steel. Also, let me know (using the attached picture) will it sit on the main body of the house or garage.

If you sign up for the Star and don't cancel before Mar 14, 2010, you must pay for the steel. I can't return it. You MUST have a pair of safety glasses and a pair of heavy work gloves. A welding helmet would be helpful too but not required. I have 2 helmets but more would be helpful. If you have experience welding then come give me a hand. The place will be at PMed to you after sign up since I don't want to put the address onto the forum. My welding skills are ok but if someone is really good then please let me know.

Thanks,
    Al
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -456_figure8..jpg  
    Last edited by Al in Raleigh; 03-13-2010 at 04:05 PM.
    Likes scottmcl liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: TASL Welding workshop Mar 27,2010 9am Place will be PMed once you sign up.

Wow, this seems quick. I had thought we'd have more than a month for this workshop.

How about something other than the Bethlehem star. I'm thinking I need some snowflakes or stars in the same form as Vic's star that he showed at the last meeting. 8 times a 16-18" long spoke for each "star". Is it possible to do something like that with the same size of steel?

Will advise if I'm coming in a week or so.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: TASL Welding workshop Mar 27,2010 9am Place will be PMed once you sign up.

I have a pair of bolt cutters I'm willing to loan the workshop, but Charity and I are asking for a proxy. The date for this is the same as a service date for our Lions Club - a fish fry fund raiser; we're two of the main workers. We have a health fair the week before and an Easter Egg hunt the week after as well.
    Anyone willing to proxy for us?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I will be there... I have a weilder, cutters and stuff too if needed....

Jack don't worry we will take care of you... I need the experience in weilding.... Where is the fish fry at??

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Mark and Jack,
    Maybe. Let's see what happens before Mar 14. If nobody or few sign up then anything can happen. Cutting and preparing the steel takes time.
    Al

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Mel -

Ok, off topic, but since you asked, I'll give you more than you asked:
    The fish fry and zone meeting will be at the Lions' Hut in Moncure; South on US 1, exit #79. Left at the top of the exit ramp onto Moncure-Pittsboro Road; go to end of the road and turn right ontol Old US 1. Turn right about 1/4 mile at the Lions Club sign (you may pass it) , then take the left fork; you'll see the building on the left. If you go across the river, you've gone too far.

3/15 Chatham Lions Clubs zone meeting at 7 PM; if you want to show up, let me know ahead of time, I'll buy you a steak dinner. I won't guarantee you won't get put to sleep.
    3/27 - same place; fish fry 11 AM to 7 PM. $8 a plate for all you want to eat if you eat there. Takeout available, but not all you can take out.

3/20 - Moncure Fire Department (Pea Ridge Rd + Old US 1) - Health Fair - health nformation, blood donations; vision screening. Other local organization information.

4/3 - Moncure Elementary - Easter Egg Hunt and egg coloring, partially sponsored by the Moncure Lions Club. I think that's at 10 AM, may be 9 AM. Free for the kids.

4/17 Free spaghetti dinner/social/membership drive. This will be at the Sprott Center in Moncure if the renovations are sufficiently done to have it there (much easer to find, bigger) but will be at the Lions Hut if the Sprott Center renovations aren't far enough along for the kitchen to have a floor.

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm also interested, but also have plans that weekend. I have a friend that is a welder. Can I just get the cut steel and maybe borrow the template for a few days?
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Scott, yes if you can convince somebody to cut and pay for it. Walter and I will have our hands full that day.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

For those of you that do your own wireframe welding, Norther Industrial has their Powder Coating Application System on sale.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...5360_200365360

Northern Industrial Powder-Coat Application System

Northern Industrial Powder-Coat Application System

Order Today and Save $50.99
    The Northern Industrial powder-coat application system allows user to powder-coat a variety of materials without an air compressor.

Regular Price $119.99
    Sale $69.00
    Larry & Rachel Charpiat
    Pilot Mountain Christmas
    Web Site: http://pilotmountainchristmas.com/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pilot.m.christmas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I do not have anything big enough to hold a wireframe to bake it...

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

That's my problem, Mel. Don't have the oven for baking.

Have the air compressor, though.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

xLights or BUST in 2018 kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Has anyone tried a spray on galvanizing ? I have never tried it myself. But I am curious if it would hold down the rust. The silver might be similar to white. I am still deciding if I want white or black for my stars. I am going to try to run the stars with LED lights, driven with the LOR 16 channel DC controller. I hope I don't regret that decision ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

I Went Static in 2017. FINALLY Moving to Xlights for 2018 !

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny, I have never tried using that.

I've welded over 50 wireframes, and really don't have a rusting problem.

I try to build them in the spring, and immediately spray the primer on just after I finish cleaning them with the acetone. Then I set them out behind my house for a month or so to bake in the sun. Then spray the first coat of paint, let it bake for a couple weeks, add the lights, spray the final paint coat, and let it bake in the sun. By the first of September, when the temps start to cool, I have a least 3 coats well sun baked and very durable coatings.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Since you guys are talking tools - does anyone have a welder that they can recommend? I may have to take the plunge and buy one so I can build some stuff... I would expect to use it mostly on wireframes, and not much else.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

My welder is a Lincoln. Lincolns are excellent welders. A MIG welder is nice for this stuff but not necessary. A MIG welder with gas makes very pretty joints, but you can run fluxed wire in a non-gassed mig and get acceptable results.
    Where you plug it in can be a problem. I have a 240V welder and I don't have a place to plug it in yet. That is why we are going to Walter's for the workshop. A small 115V welder may work for wire just fine. A stick welder may even work well.

Northern Tool sells good welders. Decide how much money you want to spend then go buy a welder. It literally boils down to that. My welder is pricey but my son got me a deal on it. He works for a welding supply company. If you want a nice welder, I can ask him to look around. However, his company doesn't deal with homeowner grade equipment.
    Al
    Last edited by Al in Raleigh; 03-04-2010 at 07:53 PM.