Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: TASL Welding workshop Apr3, 2010 9am Place will be PMed once you sign up.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: TASL Welding workshop Apr3, 2010 9am Place will be PMed once you sign up.

We are set to go at 9am. I worked outside today and it was hot. Saturday is going to be hot too. Be sure to bring some water with you. Please bring a folding chair too.

wbottomley

Default Re: TASL Welding workshop Apr3, 2010 9am Place will be PMed once you sign up.

Ok... let's see some pictures.

Someone build an album in their profile for the rest of us to enjoy.

xLights or BUST in 2018 kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Workshop was a lot of fun. I had to leave early to play at the lake with the family. But I did learn a ood bit about welding 1/4" rod into shapes. Much thanks to Al for organizing, Walter for hosting, and also to Mel (who was also welding) .. I might just have to own a wire feed welder one of these days ! Al, Walter and Mel did most all the welding today !

When I left, it looked like the group was on track to complete 3 Bethlehen Stars. The stars were welded by noon and they were starting on the roof mounts (which are a bit more complex than the stars) ..
    Last edited by kidcole; 04-03-2010 at 06:31 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

I Went Static in 2017. FINALLY Moving to Xlights for 2018 !

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Wow did it get hot today. We cut up and welded a bunch of metal. We didn't get through as much as we wanted, but the star is a tough thing to make. We will have another workshop soon to finish up what we couldn't get through today. I think you would be amazed at the quantity of steel that was cut today. Thank you to all who attended. Everybody had a job and everybody worked themselves silly having fun. This was only the first of many different workshops. We might have one in Pittsboro at Jack and Charity's sometime. If we have enough interest we will have a basic programming and equipment class. We have several highly qualified people to teach.

By far the greatest thing that I saw today was Mark in top form. And in runner up position was Denny. See Yall next meeting.
    Likes mschell liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I took some pictures, but it will be tomorrow at the earliest before I get to download them and post.

Thanks, Al, it means a lot to know that you guys noticed. It feels good to be able to get into more "normal" activities and feel fine.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!
    Likes victory402 liked this post

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Many thanks, Ow ! in Raleigh and Star Tripper Mel! I learned a lot as well. Ow!, I really learned that you've got to let the welded materials cool down before picking them up, otherwise I'll be repeating your name as often as you did! It makes me want to get a welder, one that I can use to work on my 66 Mustang as well......

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yep, I've got a couple burns. Most were slag splatter. I plan to buy a lightweight welding vest, because it was so hot I wouldn't wear my leather cape. I want to hold another workshop for a mega tree knuckle. That will make erecting megatrees much safer and easier. Maybe we can make some more stars too. Walter's welding table made it much simpler.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

There are now some pictures in my profile under Albums.

I did notice that Jack may have uploaded some pictures as well, check out his profile, too!
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I did get some up there earlier today, between looking at auctions on welders on eBay.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: TASL Welding workshop Mar 27,2010 9am Place will be PMed once you sign up.

You will need a oven also.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: TASL Welding workshop Mar 27,2010 9am Place will be PMed once you sign up.

Quote Originally Posted by speeddy View Post
    You will need a oven also.
    Oven ?????
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Oven ?????
    In arc welding certification an oven is necessary to keep your rods free of moisture that would produce micro-explosions that cause the weld to be less effective. Evidently technology moves slower over the Appalachians. You could be a more effective welder if you put your rods into your kitchen's oven before you weld. I think 425 degrees F for 45 minutes should do the trick. It that doesn't work and you see too much splatter, I could call a mechanical engineer friend that might be able to help you with your splatter problem. You should really limit your weld puddling too.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Oh, OK. I don't own an arc welder, so I don't use any rods.

My 10 pound spools of flux core wire for the mig welder don't need to be put into an oven.

But, thanks for the explanation.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Now, now John. You are certainly exaggerating the size of your spools.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ah, far from it. I use to buy the little spools and was constantly having to stop a project to change spools. Now I only buy the 10# 8 1/4 inch diameter ones.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...7&ddkey=Search
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com