Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: TASL Welding workshop Apr3, 2010 9am Place will be PMed once you sign up.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: TASL Welding workshop Apr3, 2010 9am Place will be PMed once you sign up.

I'm in for 1 star. Thot that was a given for someone attending.

Can I get an extra 12' of steel to take home with me for another project?
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: TASL Welding workshop Apr3, 2010 9am Place will be PMed once you sign up.

Any idea how long the process will take? I've never welded or seen anyone else weld before...

Thanks!
    - Scott M.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Just a reminder that the workshop is next Saturday. I know several people are attending. If you have not gotten the location PM now. If I understood correctly, I need to buy steel for the following people.
    Jack- 3 stars
    Scott- 1 star
    Mark 1 star + 12 ' piece

It should take a couple hours or less for 1 star. Mel or myself will do the welding.
    Last edited by Al in Raleigh; 03-24-2010 at 10:29 AM.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The workshop is in 10 days. In my mind, "this Saturday" refers to the one immediately coming up in 3 days time.

Of course, Al's already got this week and weekend planned in his mind, and he's looking to sell some real estate, so "this" Saturday to him is the event.

It's OK, Al, we understand...
    Mark

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Wow Al you are burning the midnight oil. you cant stay up all night and work all day, your not as young as you use to be. Anyway the workshop is an april 3rd not this saturday.
    Walter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: TASL Welding workshop Mar 27,2010 9am Place will be PMed once you sign up.

I know Dariusz is planning to observe. Dariusz and I can help anyone who needs it. I will call you a day or two ahead to see what extra tools you might need.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Another angle grinder might be good. I have one and we could outfit mine with a regular wheel and another with a wire brush. If someone has one. I'll bet Mel has one. He has a welder.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: TASL Welding workshop Mar 27,2010 9am Place will be PMed once you sign up.

I can bring one. With luck your key will work on mine. The key was lost in the lake last year ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Walter and I bought $400 in steel today. The star requires about $6 in steel and the holding stand could take as much as $45. I may have made a mistake in my numbers but it should be close. If a couple of you guys want to just get the star and not the holding stand that could save you some money. Denny and I could use the steel from the stands for our upcoming projects. I bought enough steel for 5 stars and stands. Denny and I might be able to use the steel from 2 maybe 3 stands on another project (shooting stars). I must admit that it would be difficult to hold this thing any other way method than what we used.

I have finished the star drawings and assembly how to. I will post it tonight if I have time.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Let me just say one thing... Owning a weilder does not make me a weilder.... LOL But maybe by the end of the day I will better at it...

I did not see my name on there for a star...

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Mel I thought you didn't want a star and was just wanting to help out. However, I bought steel for another project and you can have some of that. I have plenty. I need to buy more steel for that project when I finally figure out how to hold it to the roof. Regardless, you have steel for a star.
    Al

wbottomley

Anyone attending, please take some pictures to upload here and on CC's fan page on facebook. Or, take them and I'll do the uploading.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Any suggestions on clothes to wear/not wear?

It's going to be hot this weekend - 80+, but I'm thinking that shorts aren't a good thing when you're welding, right?

Will bring a camera to take some pictures...
    Mark

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Good point Mark. Do not wear any synthetic fabrics like nylon. Nylon will catch fire and melt to your skin. Cotton is best. A do-rag or ballcap is good as long as it is not made of synthetic material. The sparks can catch things like your hair on fire. I have caught my hair on fire. Long pants are necessary for if you plan to be anywhere near the welder. Mel and myself may do most of the welding but will need assistance to help hold it. Gloves and safety glasses are mandatory for people attending. A button up, long sleeved shirt might be helpful so you can keep the sparks off your arms, throat, and chest. We will be cutting metal with a saw that makes lots of sparks. Children can get hurt and as such please leave them at home.

Please print out the plans that I posted in another thread to bring with you. This isn't a complicated thing to make just lots of different sized metals to cut.

Walter, could you please have your star at the workshop as a pattern?
    Thanks,
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

yea I will bring it. It seens that I have miss placed my plug i had made for your welder what king of plug did it have? Dryer plug 50A I think????
    Walter