Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL TASL Meeting February 9, 2019 9am till 5pm <Details in Post #1>

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default OFFICIAL TASL Meeting February 9, 2019 9am till 5pm <Details in Post #1>

Announcing the FIRST meeting of 2019 for the Triangle Area Synchronized Lighting <TASL> group.

Date and Time: Saturday February 9, 2019 9am - 5pm (setup and goofing around starts 8am)

Place: Swift Creek Community Center
    6221 Yates Mill Pond Rd
    Raleigh NC, 27606

The agenda will be growing and changing so check back often. Also feel free to send your suggestions. We want to plan a mix of topics covering the basics for our newer members, as well as pixel related topics and other common interest topics.

@Jack Stevens usually runs a live feed for the meeting. Location is https://www.facebook.com/TASLRDU/?ref=br_rs.

Agenda items for Feb 9th:

8:00 - 9:00am Setup and socializing. Come early for meet and greet. Bring your items to share/display. PLEASE EVERYONE try to arrive in time to set up before 9am ! It's fun to chat early ..

9:00 - 10:00am INTRODUCTIONS - Meet new members and what they are doing with their displays. Tell us your plans for 2018.

10:00 - 11:00am PIXEL SESSION 1 - DIY Demo and Discussion - Charlie Comisky

• Frosty
    • Bells
    • Snowflake
    • RGB Candle
    • Pixel Ribbon
    • More ? (other presenters)

11:00 - Noon PIXEL SESSION 2 - Chris Gebhardt.

• Boscoyo Props
      a) Singing Faces 101 with 3 Chromabulbs
      b) S/M mini trees w/ stars (how I made these props in xlights)
      c) Arch build (my method for bending the PVC)
    • P5 BBB w/ Octoscroller v Colorlight
    • My journey from AC to pixels this year.

NOON - 1:00pm Pot Luck LUNCH (everyone bring something to share). Check the list below and post what you will bring !!

1:00 - 2:00pm AC Lights and Beginner Focus SESSION 1

• Globe Addition (Don Williams Design) - Tom Savage
    • RGB Snowmen and modifying Blowmolds with LED Light Strings
    • DIY Really Big Light (RBLs) mod to RGB pixles (or dumb nodes).
    • DIY Full Wave Rectifiers for Retail LED Strings - Removes Flicker and Improves Dimming

2:00 - 3:00pm AC Lights Focus SESSION 2 - Light Show Design, Best Practices, LOR and DIY AC Controllers (Everyone)

3:00 - 4:00pm AFTERNOON Mini Topics

• 10 mins - Holiday Light Express <HLE> Group Buy - Annie & Joel. These are great full-wave rectified and sealed LED lights. Please decide from the website ahead of time.
    • 10 mins - Ray Wu Pixels etc Group Buy - Denny Cole.
    • 10 mins - Remote Power - Everyone
    • 10 mins - Video Editors - Everyone
    • 10 mins - OPEN
    • 10 mins - OPEN

4:00 - 4:15pm TASL Business - Open TASL Discussion - Denny

• Discuss the strategy and date(s) for our next meetings. Should we focus more on workshops and smaller meetings, plus one general meeting (February) each year? Bring your ideas.
    • Bank Balance Report. We spent the account down to about $3. This meeting is paid. We will have to raise funds for future rentals.
    • Do we want any training classes this year, and for which software/hardware are you looking for training ?

4:15 - 5pm Pack Up, Fold the Chairs and Tables, Sweep the floor. We got fined last year for not being clean enough. We also have to remove our own trash bags now.

I will arrive to open the hall between 8:00am and 8:15am for unloading and setup. We'll use the first hour to mingle and get set up. Swing in early for coffee .. Introductions starting 9:00am. We need to end the formal presentations around 4:15pm to begin teardown, and cleanup the hall. By the rules of our rental agreement we need to leave by 5pm. Many times they have another renter coming in after 5pm.

This is a POT LUCK LUNCH meeting. Please let us know what you will bring to share. Be sure to check what others are bringing so we can get a range of main dishes, side dishes and deserts. I'll bring the plates, flatware and drink cups that TASL paid for last year. Funding is low so I won't buy any more until we decide next meeting plans. There should be enough for this meeting.

Optionally feel free to bring breakfast snacks to share !

Be sure to bring your own drinks for the day. There is plenty of room for coolers and a full refrigerator in the kitchen. The kitchen also has a full size stove with oven and a large microwave. There's lots time for baking or reheating before lunch !

This meeting is open to ANYONE who would like to participate, or just listen in for their first time. It is a good time for new members to sign up to be a TASL member for 2019. You do not have to be a TASL member to attend a TASL meeting. If you are thinking about creating your first holiday show with synchronized lights and music, you can join a TASL meeting to learn more about how its done. Come on out and join us! If you are bringing friends or other family members, please make sure you post their names when you acknowledge your attendance.

We always have tables available for an informal Christmas Garage sale throughout the day. Bring cash if you are looking for deals. Bring your items to sell or trade. There are usually some nice deals and giveaways !

Contact anyone from the TASL Steering Committee for more information:
    @kidcole - Denny Cole
    @Bartek - Dariusz Bartkiewicz
    @Samj435 - Sam Johnson
    @scottmcl - Scott McLellan
    @Jack Stevens - Jack Stevens

PLEASE everyone REPLY. Let us know you are coming and WHAT FOOD you will bring for the pot luck. We need a range of foods and having the list of what everyone is bringing will help others decide. We try to avoid duplicates. It's always a GREAT meal.

Attendees:
    @kidcole - Denny Cole < Chicken Pie, plates, cups, flatware, etc >
    @Tripplett - Joe Tripp
    @EricR - Eric Rogers < food ?? >
    @Charlie – Charlie Comisky - < food ?? >
    @Jack Stevens - Jack Stevens <baked spaghetti>
    @5ShepsNC - Cherie and Doug Sheppard < food ?? >
    @FarmLights - Ruth Taylor < Chocolate Desert >
    @TomD - Tom Durig < Keurig & Casserole >
    @Geoffrey Ambrose - Geoff Ambrose < fruit tray >
    @Chris Gebhardt - Chris Gebhardt < Pasta Dish >
    @tsavage - Tom and Linda Savage < Chicken Nuggets and Kale Salad >
    @Samj435 - Sam Johnson < food ?? >
    @ChrisTheDBA - Chris and Tracy Mathews < meatballs and weenies >

See y'all on Feb 9th
    Last edited by kidcole; 02-08-2019 at 10:30 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: OFFICIAL TASL Meeting February 9, 2019 9am till 5pm <Details in Post #1>

Unfortunately we won't be able to attend this meeting. We are still planning on buying lights from HLE, the preseason sale ends Feb 28th.
    Joel

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: OFFICIAL TASL Meeting February 9, 2019 9am till 5pm <Details in Post #1>

I'll be there. Not yet sure what I'm bringing for food.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    I'll be there. Not yet sure what I'm bringing for food.
    Excellent. Please bring the projector.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hi! I plan to attend and will bring dessert - probably Chocolate something.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I will be there. I am not sure if I will have my act together to do a mini topic on P5 BBB w/ Octoscroller v Colorlight but I will try to have something together. Will let you know later next week.

As for food, I will bring a pasta dish.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

My wife and I plan to be there. We will bring Chicken nuggets and kale salad. If time permits, I can do a mini presentation on my RGB globe addition.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I double booked this event with another event. Unfortunately the other event involves family members so I will have to miss the TASL meeting. Sorry. Take great notes. Maybe we can do a Saturday Panera coffee meetup later this month to catch up with everyone.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

My wife(Tracy) and I(Chris) will be there. We are brand new to this and we are both eager to learn.

Can we bring pastries for breakfast and snacks?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I was originally a 25% chance of coming but that has been downgraded to less than 10%. Family is in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ambrose lights Geoffrey Ambrose's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I will be there. Not sure about food yet

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTheDBA View Post
    My wife(Tracy) and I(Chris) will be there. We are brand new to this and we are both eager to learn.

Can we bring pastries for breakfast and snacks?
    Breakfast Snacks are fine. Something to fit into lunch is better. The group does not tend to eat a lot of early snacks. Mostly lunch.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks, Denny. How does a meat and cheese tray sound? For sandwiches.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTheDBA View Post
    Thanks, Denny. How does a meat and cheese tray sound? For sandwiches.
    Sounds great. Keep in mind that everyone is bringing something. So we do have a lot of food. I've noticed that the trays sometimes end up with a lot left over. Some will make a sandwich and others may not. So the average might be about a half sandwich each. Maybe 10 sandwiches total.

I look forward to meeting you Saturday. We talk pixels and technology stuff in the morning. And Chris Gebhardt will discuss his transition from AC lights to pixels this past season. Then we talk AC lights, beginner topics and best practices in the afternoon.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'll be there; baked spaghetti and some drinks.

Unless I can double-stream, I'll do live streaming on Facebook TASL RDU Triangle Area Synchronized Lighting

I'll post the stream location here, but you can watch for it below.

https://www.facebook.com/TASLRDU/?ref=br_rs