Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Zoom Teleconference Web Meetings Account for TASL

TASL has decided to try Zoom Meetings online to see how it works for us. We can also invite non-TASL members to join us.

The first step is for everyone to get an account. Please go to this link and sign up!

https://zoom.us/signup

You will use this sign in any time you want to join one of our meetings. But if you are going to be the host for a meeting, then you will use the TASL_HOST login. It helps a lot if you get some earphones with a microphone. But you can just work it directly off your computer. Your choice.

Mike Purser has offered to manage the donations and he will set up the hosting account. Mike's email address is

We will have a TASL account for Hosting Meetings, and Mike will work out arrangements for any TASL member to be a host any time. We will have to work out details for how we will plan and communicate meetings, how long they will last, etc.

For those who have offered to donate to help pay for our first year, please go to Paypal and use Mike's email address to make your donation. BE SURE to use the Friends and Family feature, so we don't get charged any fees for the donations. That would throw off our totals that we need. We can get a paid up year for $150, so we are looking for 12 donation of $12.50 each. Mike will communicate to everyone once we have a year's worth of donation. There is no need to donate once we have our first year to Mike. We'll poll again next year to keep it going. I hope this works out for us. It will save us all a lot of driving time, particularly for short topics. Once we get established, we can also invite guest hosts for things like software training. But I mostly hope we can draw from all the talent within TASL to keep this going.
    Last edited by mpurser; 02-10-2018 at 09:06 AM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

I Went Static in 2017. FINALLY Moving to Xlights for 2018 !

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Zoom Teleconference Web Meetings Account for TASL

we will also have outside speakers as well from time to time
    Last edited by mpurser; 02-06-2018 at 12:38 PM. Reason: misleading info
    are you sure we checked every bulb?why is that one pixel staying on
    ]www.thelightsonpurserroad.com20200 rgb channels for2018

xLights or BUST in 2018 kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mpurser View Post
    we will also have outside speakers as well from time to time we have the first 15 in hand
    Good start ! I assume you mean the first $15 in hand and not 15 donations. There were a lot of people with their hands up at the meeting for Zoom. Hopefully enough interested parties to fund our first year. I guess if someone donated $15, then 10 donations of 15 would be quicker than 12 donations of $12.50 .. !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

verbal error has been fixed

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

This is a project i have very high hopes in with the ever increasing technology that keeps our hobby growing i hope we will use this to spread it sate wide.from the coast to Grand father mountain.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hi all, hope everyone is well.

Driving distance for me to the usual meeting place is around 3 hours, so I am excited about Zoom. I will contact Mike soon about a donation !

If you follow the sign up link to Zoom, it will install the free personal host version which will allow you to host a meeting up to 40 minutes, with up to 100 participants, so testing could start right away. If you don't want to install the host version, you can wait till you get an invite to a Zoom meeting where you will be prompted to install a participant only version that does not require a user name and password.

I have helped several school systems and churches set up equipment for live streaming, and I have found that it can be a challenge to get good quality video and audio in a large room with multiple participants. I don't have a lot of experience with the host side of Zoom, but it appears to work well with desktop sharing which is important. Equally important for most presentations is good video and audio quality. A webcam may be fine for a single presenter that is within a few feet of the camera. However, in a large meeting room with multiple show and tell presenters, a good quality video camera or camcorder and external microphone is desirable. Most of the newer camcorders have an HDMI output, so an HDMI to USB capture card would be needed as well to connect to the computer. This card, and an external mic would add approximately $100 - $200 to the set up but in my opinion is well worth the cost for larger presentations.

Just my 2 cents, let me know if you have questions.

Thanks,
    Dean

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Dean great input i have used the participant and the host zoom personal on a home pc with a 50 dollar web cam and a turtle beach head set for a year now . And i think its great last night i was in a conference with 100 others no lag.desk top sharing .2 way Q and A session off screen chat. break out rooms for those who need personalized help and don t wish to disturb the group i my self have to drive 2 1/2 hours to reach our knowledge base in the Cary area.i believe this system would help us spread Christmas Carolina and its reach tru out all areas of our state.please don t think this will dampen the local coffee group thats not the intention the only draw back i can see is the lack of internet access in the creek center we use Please we are half way there with the fund raising chip in and we can get this ball rolling.

xLights or BUST in 2018 kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I like this discussion. We use Skype at Lenovo, which is a desktop app similar to Zoom, except the capacity is much greater. I like the discussion about the Cameras.

Jack did a great job last Saturday live-streaming through the TASL Facebook page. But it was hard work for him to hold onto that phone all day. If we do that next meeting, we need to buy Jack a phone mount for his tripod !

A more powerful lens would make a big step up. We can tell with our internal casting when a camera with a good lens is being used. Perhaps a good quality camera would benefit our club one day? But it would also take someone who would want to do all the streaming, etc. And of course we would need enough interest for members to want to fund it.

The small cams seem to do a great job when one person is showing some hardware tasks tho. For those who want to host zoom meetings for TASL, or share their things during zoom meetings, having a small working camera would be a big help. Initially I expect we would mostly use simple charts or powerpoints for discussion. Then start to advance our capabilities when a few of us get camera rigs. We can ask around the bigger zoom meetings what others are using.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

yes jack has done a great job streaming videos from the meetings.and a wider angle lens might do better when showing props and setup how tos but in most cases with software issues screen share is great .but there are some user items that need to be seen that are good in my view.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

ok guys we are only 40.00 from our goal please donate

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks to everyone that donated the fund raising is over hopefully we will have a hyper link placed on the home page for access a password will be provided to all members
    Last edited by mpurser; 02-09-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

i have sent rob the hyperlink info so he can embed the link into our home page for easy access more later sorry for the delay.hopefully it will be a button with zoom on it click the link and type in the password .passwords will be sent tru e mail .