Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default OFFICIAL TASL Meeting August 12, 2017 9am till 5pm <Details in Post #1>

Announcing the SECOND meeting in 2017 for the Triangle Area Synchronized Lighting <TASL> group.

Date and Time: Saturday August 12, 2017 9am - 5pm

Place: Swift Creek Community Center
    6221 Yates Mill Pond Rd
    Raleigh NC, 27606

The agenda will be growing and changing so check back often. Also feel free to send your suggestions. We want to plan a mix of topics covering the basics for our newer members, as well as pixel related topics and other common interest topics.

@Jack Stevens usually runs a live feed for the meeting. Location is TASL RDU in Google. Unfortunately Jack cannot make it this time, so there will not be a live feed.

Agenda items for Aug 12th:

8:00 - 9:00am Setup and socializing. Come early for meet and greet. Bring your items to share/display. PLEASE EVERYONE try to arrive before 9am ! It's fun to chat early ..

9:00 - 9:30am INTRODUCTIONS - Meet new members and what they are doing with their displays. Everyone prepare a short discussion on their new plans for 2017.

9:30 - 10:30am OPEN SESSION - We have some new members this year. If they join us then we should have a beginner overview (best practices). Or we can take several new member volunteers who can review their plans with us .. The whole group can critique and suggest changes/additions, etc.

10:30 - 11:30am Competing in ABC's Great Christmas Light Fight - Bobby Moore.

Bobby's Happyland display is the 2016 winner !

Piper Lights - this one is not yet firm but I spoke with Linwood Piper. Also Bobby Langston spoke with their father. It sounds like they are very interested in joining us. If we are able to work it out, we'll combine both into this session and run it 90 minutes (till lunch).

11:30 - Noon OPEN SESSION

NOON - 1:00pm Pot Luck LUNCH (everyone bring something to share). Check the list and post what you will bring.

1:00 - 2:00pm AFTERNOON Mini Topics

• 15 mins - RGB & DMX Accessories - Frank Plesche - this was carried over from the Feb meeting.
    • 15 mins - Custom Mounting Cases - Eric - The era of the CableGuard CG cases is starting to fade. Now a whole new crop of AMMO cases and other types are starting to replace them in the pixel world.
    • 15 mins - Lights Frames with the Kreg System - Denny Cole
    • 5 mins - Rectangle Pixel holders with Gray Pipe (no fittings required) - Denny Cole

3:00 - 4:00pm Don Williams session - The Evolution of Lights Displays Then and Now. Will also include some discussion of this year's new scaled globes.

4:00 - 4:15pm TASL Business - Open TASL Discussion - Denny

• Discuss any upcoming meetings or workshops for the balance of 2017.
    • Bank Balance Report
    • Do we want any training classes this year, and for which software/hardware are you looking for training.

4:15 - 5pm Pack Up, Fold the Chairs and Tables, Sweep the floor

I will arrive to open the hall between 8:00am and 8:15am for unloading and setup. We'll use the first hour to mingle and get set up. Swing in early for coffee .. Introductions starting 9:00am and Presentations will begin by 9:30am. We need to end the formal presentations around 4:15pm to begin teardown, and cleanup the hall. By the rules of our rental agreement we need to leave by 5pm. Many times they have another renter coming in after 5pm.

This is a POT LUCK LUNCH meeting. Please let us know what you will bring to share. Be sure to check what others are bringing so we can get a range of main dishes, side dishes and deserts. I can supply a Keurig machine to make coffee. TASL can pay for the K-cups, creamer, plates, flatware and drink cups. Optionally feel free to bring breakfast snacks to share !

I will try to remember to bring some nametags. I keep forgetting them. I may just buy the stick-on nametags.

Be sure to bring your own drinks for the day. There is plenty of room for coolers and a full refrigerator in the kitchen. The kitchen also has a full size stove with oven and a large microwave. There's lots time for baking or reheating before lunch !

This meeting is open to ANYONE who would like to participate, or just listen in for their first time. It is a good time for new members to sign up to be a TASL member for 2017. But you do not have to be a TASL member to attend a TASL meeting. If you are thinking about creating your first holiday show with synchronized lights and music, you can join a TASL meeting to learn more about how its done. Come on out and join us! If you are bringing friends or other family members, please make sure you post their names when you acknowledge your attendance.

We always have tables available for an informal Christmas Garage sale throughout the day. Bring cash if you are looking for deals. Bring your items to sell or trade. There are always some real nice deals and giveaways !

Contact anyone from the TASL Steering Committee for more information:
    @kidcole - Denny Cole
    @Bartek - Dariusz Bartkiewicz
    @Samj435 - Sam Johnson
    @scottmcl - Scott McLellan
    @Jack Stevens - Jack Stevens

PLEASE everyone REPLY. Let us know you are coming and WHAT FOOD you will bring for the pot luck. We need a range of foods and having the list of what everyone is bringing will help others decide. We try to avoid duplicates. It's always a GREAT meal.

Attendees:
    @kidcole - Denny Cole < Chicken Pie, Keurig, plates, cups, flatware, etc >
    @Tripplett - Joe Tripp < Chili >
    @EricR - Eric Rogers < Ham and Swiss Sliders >
    @Frank Pleshe - Frank Pleshe < Food ??>
    @clchange - Bobby Moore < Food ?? >
    @mpurser - Mike Purser < Food ?? >
    @scottmcl - Scott McLellan - < grocery store food >
    @tsavage - Tom and Linda Savage < Bean Salad & Ribs >
    @bobby langston - Bobby Langston < Food ?? >
    @Don Williams - Don Williams < Food ?? >
    @Samj435 - Sam and Bob Johnson < Food ?? >
    @Mikeg - Mike Guzi < Potato Salad >
    @Chris Gebhardt - Chris Gebhardt < Pasta Salad >
    @Geoffrey Ambrose - Geoffrey Ambrose < Baked Mac n Cheese >

See y'all on August 12th
    Last edited by kidcole; 08-12-2017 at 05:59 AM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: OFFICIAL TASL Meeting August 12, 2017 9am till 5pm <Details in Post #1>

Dang it, can't make it.

I was just told I have to go to the grandson's birthday party which overlaps this time and isn't local; it's over in Forest City, NC.

I was hoping it'd be the weekend before rather than the weekend after his birthday but no such luck.

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: OFFICIAL TASL Meeting August 12, 2017 9am till 5pm <Details in Post #1>

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stevens View Post
    Dang it, can't make it.

I was just told I have to go to the grandson's birthday party which overlaps this time and isn't local; it's over in Forest City, NC.

I was hoping it'd be the weekend before rather than the weekend after his birthday but no such luck.
    Sorry to hear it. We actually had the planning posts running for a while to pick the date. But we always have to book it quickly in Feb or March because the Saturdays go fast. Hope to see you at the next one !

Everyone - - There is a good possibility that we may both Raleigh GCLF winners at this meeting ! Bobby Moore has confirmed he will be there, and I spoke with Linwood Piper tonight (Thanks @AnniesSS and Jan Moore). Also, @bobby langston knows the Piper family, so he drove up there today and spoke with their father (Shirley's husband) .. Then I gave Linwood (the son) a call. Shirley was their mother who passed away right after Christmas last year. Linwood and Glenda are the two kids who were also the main participants in the family display. If all comes together, we'll have both trophies at the meeting (Happyland and Piper Lights). The morning main topic will be both of them talking about being in the competition. I also plan to stop over at Blaine's house to see if he will join. All 3 trophies would make a great photo op! I'll update the agenda as things come together.

Don Williams will be there and we're working on a topic for him.. He always has some new things to share. And there's a possible maybe in the wind that we'll get Mark Schell to join us. Mark used to cover a large part of our new technology stuff for TASL, but he moved and has not attended much since. Keep an eye on the schedule and attendance list.

@Samj435 - can you also encourage Blaine to join us ?
    Last edited by kidcole; 08-01-2017 at 09:59 AM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am going to bring Hot Ham and Swiss sliders for lunch.
    I'm hoping Don makes it. I have been thinking about his spheres and what they would look like with pixels inside since the February meeting. I think I know how to do it but don't know all the parts to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I will be there and will be bringing pasta salad.

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'll be there. I'll think of something that I can buy from the store on the way over there in the morning....
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    I am going to bring Hot Ham and Swiss sliders for lunch.
    I'm hoping Don makes it. I have been thinking about his spheres and what they would look like with pixels inside since the February meeting. I think I know how to do it but don't know all the parts to use.

Don is coming. We'll have him on the agenda too. I think a scaled down version with pixels would be amazing. Probably two so they they be on opposite sides of a display.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gebhardt View Post
    I will be there and will be bringing pasta salad.
    Got ya.

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    I'll be there. I'll think of something that I can buy from the store on the way over there in the morning....
    Crock pot, frozen meatballs and BBQ sauce. Recipes on the internet. Simple and can be assembled when the meeting starts!
    Last edited by kidcole; 08-04-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I will be there with some chili.

Ambrose lights Geoffrey Ambrose's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I will be there however I have no idea what to bring

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey Ambrose View Post
    I will be there however I have no idea what to bring
    Hi Geoffrey. I'm glad to hear from you. You can get an idea of what foods people are bringing by looking at the attendee list on Post 1. We like to list the foods to avoid duplicates. I hope more of the slackers will let me know :-) Bring your own drinks for the day, and something to share.

I look forward to meeting you. If you decide you want to join TASL, send me a PM with your home address, email address and cell phone number. I send copies of this list to all members so we can contact each other. We also have a 2 day TASL tour (group viewing) each year after Christmas but before New Years.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Ambrose lights Geoffrey Ambrose's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'll bring baked Mac and cheese.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Look forward to meeting everyone. ill bring potato salad.
    🎄

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Good news is I finished my final of 3 ammo crate controller boxes. I will bring 2 different versions. Are there any other requests people want to see? I will probably bring some different size light covers I got from Ray for comparison. I'm not going to get my PiHat box done that runs from a small 75w power supply but I could bring the parts for criticism.

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Sorry to hear it. We actually had the planning posts running for a while to pick the date. But we always have to book it quickly in Feb or March because the Saturdays go fast. Hope to see you at the next one !
    My mistake here was believing them saying they weren't going to do any more birthday parties like that. I should know better; my son's birthday was the most important day of the year to him - he honestly expected the Florida DMV office to open up on a day they're normally closed so he could get his license, because it was him - and now that he has kids, their birthdays are important to celebrate. I should have ignored him saying until late July "no birthday party this year"

And I'm going to miss a very good TASL get-together from the sounds of it.

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Grabbed a veggie tray and some cookies

- Scott M.
    Likes Tripplett liked this post