Thread: FPP Day Planning . Aug/Sep 2017?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default FPP Day Planning . Aug/Sep 2017?

With the cancellation of the June 3rd FPP day, we still need a good session for those moving to Pi players. We'll have an hour session on this at the TASL meeting for general demo. Then we'll hold a workshop for those who will be using Falcon Pi Player software in addition to xLights.

I'd like to throw out a suggestion that we meet on the weekend BEFORE the Labor Day weekend. Either Saturday Aug 26th or Sunday Aug 27th. Of course we need to be sure that this will work for Joe @Tripplett. I fear if we book this too late into September then everyone might get tied up with their own displays.

Post your preferences.
    Last edited by kidcole; 06-02-2017 at 10:18 AM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: FPP Day Planning . Aug/Sep 2017?

If we want to make this happen, I would suggest a couple things.

1) what do you really want to know? Installing FPP is pretty straight forward and I have written instructions if someone needs help in addition to what is posted on the FPP forum site.

2) Do you just want a demo of the FPP environment and how to navigate it? This could be accomplished in an hour at the next meeting and Joe did one a year ago. Some things have changed but the basics are still true.

3) Do you have network problems and questions on how to communicate with FPP and your controllers? I am guessing this might be a stumbling block for some people. I have all my controllers and network stuff written in an excel sheet because I am not good at this stuff beyond the basics. I got some examples from people and changed it all to my numbers. But you also have to set up IP routing to reach your controllers which will confuse people. With the networking we could setup a router and have people connect to it but you would still have to do it specific to your house and the IP routing is different on each router from what I have seen, I’m no expert. You can also do the routing on your computer, but then if you want to reach your controller using your phone in your yard you have to have a different method.

4) Any Xlights demo would have to be very rudimentary because that could take many days. There is an instruction manual and lots of videos available that you can read/watch to teach yourself how to do this. You can start here https://xlights.org/xLights_User_Manual.pdf and xLights Videos and then after that several people have made some good videos.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    If we want to make this happen, I would suggest a couple things.

1) what do you really want to know? Installing FPP is pretty straight forward and I have written instructions if someone needs help in addition to what is posted on the FPP forum site.

2) Do you just want a demo of the FPP environment and how to navigate it? This could be accomplished in an hour at the next meeting and Joe did one a year ago. Some things have changed but the basics are still true.

3) Do you have network problems and questions on how to communicate with FPP and your controllers? I am guessing this might be a stumbling block for some people. I have all my controllers and network stuff written in an excel sheet because I am not good at this stuff beyond the basics. I got some examples from people and changed it all to my numbers. But you also have to set up IP routing to reach your controllers which will confuse people. With the networking we could setup a router and have people connect to it but you would still have to do it specific to your house and the IP routing is different on each router from what I have seen, Iím no expert. You can also do the routing on your computer, but then if you want to reach your controller using your phone in your yard you have to have a different method.

4) Any Xlights demo would have to be very rudimentary because that could take many days. There is an instruction manual and lots of videos available that you can read/watch to teach yourself how to do this. You can start here https://xlights.org/xLights_User_Manual.pdf and xLights Videos and then after that several people have made some good videos.
    Bingo on number 3. I was using multicast to avoid a complex setup. But I believe with xLights I am probably better off with unicast so I don't send full traffic over every link. I'm a hardware guy. We all know whoever invented the networking IP scheme was doing heavy drugs the whole time he was developing the standard :-)
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny is the issue the FPP network, meaning all components talking to each other. Or Xlights networks. Those are completely different animals. You can do multicast in xlights but if you want to use the export my xlights channels into FPP then you need them setup as universes and unicast. I will be switching all of mine in the next month and will take notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    Denny is the issue the FPP network, meaning all components talking to each other. Or Xlights networks. Those are completely different animals. You can do multicast in xlights but if you want to use the export my xlights channels into FPP then you need them setup as universes and unicast. I will be switching all of mine in the next month and will take notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm good with uni. I just could not get it to work at the time. So I stayed multi. I'm sure I can figure it out with some guidance ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole