Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default FPP Day June 3 2017 CANCELLED

We had a good LOR Migration day yesterday. Several of us got our LOR data into xLights! The next planned meeting is for those who want to connect the Falcon Pi this year, to their xLights sequences. We originally said this would be May 6th. And we can stick with that date if it attracts the most participants. As an alternative we could consider June 3rd. Please post your preferences and we'll work it out.

FINAL DECISION: June 3, 2017 (I will edit the title of this topic to match).

Joe Tripp has offered to host this meeting at his house in Cary. And we discussed some prerequisites. We want this meeting to be focused on the Pi players specifically and not get caught up in Xlights, except for the settings that directly apply to the Pi player(s). Joe has asked that everyone that joins this meeting, comes with at least one song sequenced in xLights. You'll get more from the meeting if you also bring at least one running Pi with FPP installed.

We'll start at 9am.

UPDATE: Joe confirmed he can make May 6th or June 3rd.

ATTENDEES:

Joe Tripp
    Denny Cole
    Chris Gebhardt
    Frank Plesche
    Matt Rausche
    Tom Savage
    Eric Rogers
    Last edited by kidcole; 06-02-2017 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Removed May 6 & June 24th option
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 with multiple Falcon Pi Players

256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX, 2 E681 & 4 E6804 Sandevices, 1 PiCap Falcon Controller,
    Mighty Mini RGB Spots, Pixel Strips, Pixel Nodes, CoroFlakes with Pixel Modules, 10" RGB Ornaments, 2 pixel matrix 16x25,
    TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Pixel RGB RBLs, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Thanks FrankP2017 thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Falcon Pi Day - June 3, 2017

Right now I plan on attending on any of those days. Of course something may come up but I think I am free.
    Last edited by kidcole; 03-11-2017 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Removed May 6 & June 24th options

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gebhardt View Post
    Right now I plan on attending on any of those days. Of course something may come up but I think I am free.
    I am most likely free both days as well but I can never make definite plans right now. If you are interested, what I can do for sure is post my network layout and a write up an outline of what you have to do. I have the network done and the write up is half done. I do this for my own records because my brain forgets. I will be setting up a couple more Pi's this month so I will post after I finish that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kidcole; 03-11-2017 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Removed May 6 & June 24th options

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I would like to join in on either day; May 6th or June 3rd.
    Last edited by kidcole; 03-11-2017 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Removed May 6 & June 24th options

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I can only do June 3rd

Last edited by kidcole; 03-11-2017 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Removed May 6 & June 24th options

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    I am most likely free both days as well but I can never make definite plans right now. If you are interested, what I can do for sure is post my network layout and a write up an outline of what you have to do. I have the network done and the write up is half done. I do this for my own records because my brain forgets. I will be setting up a couple more Pi's this month so I will post after I finish that.

This is great Eric. I'd certainly love to see it. Networking is my weakest link. I've tried to get unicast working multiple times and gave up. Dropped back to multicast which works every time .. but will have problems once I get too much data bottlenecked everywhere. You have been such a great help to the group !

For everyone, it is totally looking like June 3rd is the best choice to move ahead with ...
    Last edited by kidcole; 03-11-2017 at 12:41 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX, 2 E681 & 4 E6804 Sandevices, 1 PiCap Falcon Controller,
    Mighty Mini RGB Spots, Pixel Strips, Pixel Nodes, CoroFlakes with Pixel Modules, 10" RGB Ornaments, 2 pixel matrix 16x25,
    TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Pixel RGB RBLs, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny I can try and swing by one afternoon to discuss networking and maybe you could help me with the e682?

Last edited by kidcole; 03-11-2017 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Removed May 6 & June 24th options

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rausch View Post
    Denny I can try and swing by one afternoon to discuss networking and maybe you could help me with the e682?

Any time .. just text me in advance to make sure I'm home. I have your resistor packs too ..
    Last edited by kidcole; 03-11-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I will put June 3rd on the calendar. I am a bit curious what is the plan? Are we going to have people directly connect from their computer to the Pi or Joes router? Of course both these will require changes to be made after getting the Pi back home to work. I guess the best case is each person brings their own router but that may not be possible if your show router is your home router. Does anyone have a plan? I am not a network expert so maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited by kidcole; 03-11-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Removed May 6 & June 24th options

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I will put June 3rd on the calendar. I am a bit curious what is the plan? Are we going to have people directly connect from their computer to the Pi or Joes router? Of course both these will require changes to be made after getting the Pi back home to work. I guess the best case is each person brings their own router but that may not be possible if your show router is your home router. Does anyone have a plan? I am not a network expert so maybe I'm missing something.

Very good point. Of course we all want to be able to go home and end up with a fully working setup. You guys can decide if it's better to have everyone configure to Joe's router or if we just use one setup for the example. Perhaps the documentation that you are working on could be modified with some spots to write in the key elements. So each person goes away with what they need .. and in the course of the day we also learn where all the configurations are defined in xLights and in FPP. It could create a nice record to keep for any future modifications too.

If there are things we all need to check before we come to the meeting, we can do that too.

I was able to define my setup easily when I lived in Cary. But here in Clayton I struggle to get things working. One big difference was in Cary I had an IBM tool the managed all the network settings. It was very intuitive and would almost lead me through everything. It was super simple to toggle between my home router setup and the Christmas setup. Here in Clayton I am using just the native Microsoft and it does not lead me through anything. It thinks I know what I want .. ha !
    Last edited by kidcole; 03-11-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It took me a while to re find this. Configuring FPP's outputs from XLights!
    Configuring FPP from xLights
    Last edited by kidcole; 03-11-2017 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Removed May 6 & June 24th options

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Well, for the networking I guess we do the best we can. I have two networks in my house. Main house is 192.168.1.xxx network and my show network is 10.0.0.xxx. Most people use one of those two so we may be able to at least connect a few people that really need the help. If we start running a lot of XLights pc's and Pi's on the same network I foresee problems. IP conflicts, and more. I'm open for options. If people hardwire and just bring a hub that's all good too - wireless gets messy.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    Well, for the networking I guess we do the best we can. I have two networks in my house. Main house is 192.168.1.xxx network and my show network is 10.0.0.xxx. Most people use one of those two so we may be able to at least connect a few people that really need the help. If we start running a lot of XLights pc's and Pi's on the same network I foresee problems. IP conflicts, and more. I'm open for options. If people hardwire and just bring a hub that's all good too - wireless gets messy.
    My home router properties say it is 192.168.0.2 and my show has always been 10.10.10.xx. But I've had lots of trouble with getting the Christmas network to work here in Clayton. So I thought I might be better off moving the Christmas stuff. It would be nice if I didn't have to move Christmas. I want to use wireless for at least one Pi on the roof, with a PiCap I have not been able to talk to a Pi from my laptop here yet. But I'll be trying some more before June 3rd. I'll bring mine hard wired for Pi Day. Then I'll work on the wireless Pi later. Long term I would like to be able to feed files/changes to the Master Pi while the show is running.
    Last edited by kidcole; 03-12-2017 at 06:37 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Falcon Pi Day - June 3, 2017

With the PiCap, can you talk to the PI if it is connected via ethernet cable to the router? Could you connect to that same PI by wifi before the Cap? Did you setup a static IP on the PI for the wifi? I haven't put a cap on a PI yet (that's my goal for this week) so Joe will have to address this if he knows an answer. I have heard of people say that the Cap limits the wifi range but if it's sitting next to the router that shouldn't be a problem. For what it's worth most people have zero issues using wifi and the Caps. What router do you have in Clayton?

Take a look at this document and see if it helps.FPP install.doc
    Last edited by EricR; 03-12-2017 at 09:48 PM.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

With the PiCap, can you talk to the PI if it is connected via ethernet cable to the router? Could you connect to that same PI by wifi before the Cap? Did you setup a static IP on the PI for the wifi? I haven't put a cap on a PI yet (that's my goal for this week) so Joe will have to address this if he knows an answer. I have heard of people say that the Cap limits the wifi range but if it's sitting next to the router that shouldn't be a problem. For what it's worth most people have zero issues using wifi and the Caps.

Take a look at this document and see if it helps.FPP install.doc
    Thanks for the doc file. I can't answer your questions but I did get some short USB Extension cords to get the wifi away from the Pi ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole