Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Falcon Pi Day - June 3, 2017

Yes you can connect to the Pi with a Cap on it. The only thing the Cap should do is disable the audio out jack on that Pi. This is because the two contradict. I've had no problems using a PiCap and FPP. I was using cat5 not wifi but I'm almost 100% sure I've used wifi in the past. Since my Pi with PiCap is still sitting on the workbench I'll test it now... yep no problems using wifi only.

Ok, I just thought of one thing that may explain your problems. In the past on a falcon player instance you cannot have the Wi-Fi and ethernet both configured to connect to the same network. This may have changed but I don't think so. What I do is configure my Wi-Fi to connect with my show router and a static IP and then configure the ethernet for DHCP so if I have troubles I can plug it in somewhere. What you cannot do is configure both Wi-Fi and ethernet to the same static IP address network. For instance 192.168.1.xx

If you have the ability to you should always try to run your show wired over ethernet rather than wireless. I know you said you'll put one on the roof so that one will probably be wireless but if you can run the rest over cat5 you'll have less chance of things going wrong IMO. When I set mine up I run my falcon players wired to my show router and wireless to my home network.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Falcon Pi Day - June 3, 2017

Yes never use the same address for eth0 and wlan0. Yes if both are left as dhcp eth0 will win if both are connected. If cat5 cable is not plugged in I still think the eth0 port wins. Set wifi as static. Denny follow my document, if that doesn't work let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Falcon Pi Day - June 3, 2017

Thanks Joe and Eric. I'll try to follow your tips. I have no idea what the difference is between Eth0 and WLAN0. Static IP vs DHCP is also confusing, although I've messed with those using explicit instructions. I have some learnin to do !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I learned all this stuff in the last year so I will give you the simple explanation. The difference between eth0 and wlan0 is the physical device on the Pi that talks to the world, the ethernet port or the wireless dongle/internal wireless chip. You can ignore the 0 but they just mean the 1st of each type, the 2nd of each type is designated 1. You will not have this unless you plug a usb wifi dongle into a Pi3, so just ignore it. DHCP versus static is just simply where do I go to find that doorway (either eth0 or wlan0) to your PI. If you set it to static the doorway location/address never changes. If you set it to DHCP the router it connects to just assigns it an address from the list of addresses available. Its like if you have a long hallway with 10 rooms that your Pi could be located. Using static you put the Pi into room 3 and never change that. Using DHCP, the router will pick a door between 1 and 10 and put the PI inside it. However, using DHCP that room/address can be different each time the router gives the PI an address. Today it could be in room 6 and then the next time you turn on the Pi it could move to room 2. Each time the PI power cycles the room could change. The router doesn't really have a memory of what room it assigned the last time, but it does have a personality as to what room it would assign and it will not put more than 1 Pi or device into the same room at a time. I hope this metaphor doesn't confuse you more.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    I learned all this stuff in the last year so I will give you the simple explanation. The difference between eth0 and wlan0 is the physical device on the Pi that talks to the world, the ethernet port or the wireless dongle/internal wireless chip. You can ignore the 0 but they just mean the 1st of each type, the 2nd of each type is designated 1. You will not have this unless you plug a usb wifi dongle into a Pi3, so just ignore it. DHCP versus static is just simply where do I go to find that doorway (either eth0 or wlan0) to your PI. If you set it to static the doorway location/address never changes. If you set it to DHCP the router it connects to just assigns it an address from the list of addresses available. Its like if you have a long hallway with 10 rooms that your Pi could be located. Using static you put the Pi into room 3 and never change that. Using DHCP, the router will pick a door between 1 and 10 and put the PI inside it. However, using DHCP that room/address can be different each time the router gives the PI an address. Today it could be in room 6 and then the next time you turn on the Pi it could move to room 2. Each time the PI power cycles the room could change. The router doesn't really have a memory of what room it assigned the last time, but it does have a personality as to what room it would assign and it will not put more than 1 Pi or device into the same room at a time. I hope this metaphor doesn't confuse you more.
    I appreciate this details. It's a start ! I did know what DHCP and static means. But every time I have tried static, it would never work. So I have always used multicast. I could never get devices of any kind to work when I assigned their IP address. Such as my SanDevices controllers. I'll try to figure out my final network layout before this next meeting, so I can plan the IP assignments for everything.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I got a PI3 with cap working last night with wifi. The pixels turned on with test mode. Next step run a sequence to see how many nodes before injection and what distance I can have between the first pixel and the Cap

Thanks Tripplett thanked for this post
    Likes Tripplett liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

For those planning to attend. What equipment do you want to run? LOR, Renard, Lynx, San Devices, etc. I will read up on Renard a little because I know Chris uses that and I know nothing about it.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

For those planning to attend. What equipment do you want to run? LOR, Renard, Lynx, San Devices, etc. I will read up on Renard a little because I know Chris uses that and I know nothing about it.

Renard controllers are mostly for AC lights although they do make some DC versions. And the Renard protocol is very much like DMX. The Renard kits for 16 channel ac controller are only about $60 compared with nearly $200 for LOR. But they only run 2 amps per channel instead of 8 like LOR. 2 amps is plenty for LEDs of course. But for incandescent displays, LOR is king.

I had an ugly time with Renard and I think it was probably their DMX firmware. Most people run stock Renard firmware and I was trying to get their DMX version firmware to work along with LOR. But I can tell that the Lynx Express kits are amazing. Still only about $75 for 16 channel kits. A lot of people selling built units off season for $100 or so. They run super simple, bullet proof DMX as their native protocol. I bought a bunch .. kinda lost count but probably 19 or 20. MY current xLights plan calls for 14. So I have spares.

I have two e682 and 3 E6804 Sandevices controllers. Plus a Pi Cap. I am planning to buy at least one Falcon V3 this summer as my hub, plus another Pi Cap. A pi Master on the porch will run the two Pi Cap slaves and all the controllers. I have not decided which Pi gets which Linx yet. But I will have three different DMX outputs. One on the Falcon and one on each Pi Cap. Each will drive all the DMX devices in their immediate area. Each one will have it's own DMX universe. I need to start drawing pictures of the layout...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Eric, I will be running mostly Falcon 16v2-R/3-R controllers with Falcon Expansion and Differential boards. May include other hardware but not sure what yet.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by tsavage View Post
    Eric, I will be running mostly Falcon 16v2-R/3-R controllers with Falcon Expansion and Differential boards. May include other hardware but not sure what yet.
    Tom, no AC controllers?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Tom, no AC controllers?

At first, I was not planning any AC, however, I now will have some Strobes running on LOR, as well as, RGB DMX 50w floods but not sure what controllers at the moment.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Pleshe

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by FrankP2017 View Post
    Pleshe

A new Pleshe ? What was wrong with the old one ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    A new Pleshe ? What was wrong with the old one ?
    Uh.... that is because the FaceBook login was broken at that time. ;-)

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by FrankP View Post
    Uh.... that is because the FaceBook login was broken at that time. ;-)
    There may be other issues with the Facebook link. Now that it's "fixed," our latest new member could ONLY use Facebook as a reference to join. He also cannot make any new posts. Just private messages. Ughhhh ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole