Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL TASL Meeting February 11, 2017 9am till 5pm <Details in Post #1>

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default OFFICIAL TASL Meeting February 11, 2017 9am till 5pm <Details in Post #1>

Announcing the FIRST meeting in 2017 for the Triangle Area Synchronized Lighting <TASL> group.

Date and Time: Saturday February 11, 2017 9am - 5pm

Place: Swift Creek Community Center
    6221 Yates Mill Pond Rd
    Raleigh NC, 27606

The agenda will be growing and changing so check back often. Also feel free to send your suggestions. We want to plan a mix of topics covering the basics for our newer members, as well as pixel related topics and other common interest topics.

@Jack Stevens usually runs a live feed for the meeting. Location is TASL RDU in Google. Jack - please let us know if you plan to run the live feed for us.

Agenda items for Feb 11th:

8:00 - 9:00am Setup and socializing. Come early for meet and greet. Bring your items to share/display. PLEASE EVERYONE try to arrive before 9am ! It's fun to chat early ..

9:00 - 9:30am INTRODUCTIONS - Meet new members and what they are doing with their displays.

9:30 - 10:30am Christmas 2016 - What Worked and What Didn't Work!
    INDENT] This is when we all discuss this past Christmas. There enough time for at least 10 people to discuss their ideas that worked, and particularly great if you can tell us about a really great idea that didn't work. Since most everything is custom built, we all learn from this discussion. Also a good time to suggest workshops and training that you'd like to see this year.

10:30 - 11:30am Competing in ABC's Great Christmas Light Fight - Bobby Moore.

Bobby's Happyland display is the 2016 winner !
    • https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...e&action=click
    • We discussed inviting Piper lights, who also won this past Christmas. I took over from Annie who was going to contact them. However, my friend who knows them was on vacation and just got back. It feels a bit late to be inviting them now. I will work on meeting them later and invite them to the August TASL. It's a bit awkward since the mom just passed in January.

11:30 - Noon 3D Printing accessories for your display <Joe Tripp> and Octoprint <David Williams>

NOON - 1:00pm Pot Luck LUNCH (everyone bring something to share). Check the list and post what you will bring.

1:00 - 1:15pm Reworking RBLs (Really Big Lights) with Pixels and dumb nodes - Denny Cole. Live demo showing multiple alternatives to making the RBLs POP ! These seem to be the hot new item this year, after the Hohensee family used them in the Great Christmas Light Fight.

1:15 - 3:00pm AFTERNOON mini Topics

• 20 mins - Falcon Controller Demo and accessories, Matt Rausch & Eric Rogers
    • 10 mins - RGB & DMX Accessories - Frank Plesche
    • 10 mins - Building Pixel Arches with HDPE Pipe, Eric Rogers
    • 10 mins - DIY Quarter Wave Antenna - Joel Goldman
    • 10 mins - USB Digital Audio - Joe Tripp
    • 20 mins - 3D Printing printed results from this morning, Joe Tripp
    • 10 mins - Xlights on a Mac - Scott McLellan
    • 15 mins - Best Practices - Scott McLellan & Everyone

3:00 - 4:00pm Making Horizontal Globes - Don Williams. These new smaller horizontal globes really mesmerized everyone this year. I could see them with pixels !

4:00 - 4:15pm TASL Business - Open TASL Discussion - Denny

• Discuss the upcoming meetings for 2017.
    • Bank Balance Report
    • Are we ready to set one or more dates for a group workshop ?
    • Do we want any training classes this year, and for which software/hardware are you looking for training.

4:15 - 5pm Pack Up, Fold the Chairs and Tables, Sweep the floor

I will arrive to open the hall between 8:00am and 8:15am for unloading and setup. We'll use the first hour to mingle and get set up. Swing in early for coffee .. Introductions starting 9:00am and Presentations will begin by 9:30am. We need to end the formal presentations around 4:15pm to begin teardown, and cleanup the hall. By the rules of our rental agreement we need to leave by 5pm. Many times they have another renter coming in after 5pm.

This is a POT LUCK LUNCH meeting. Please let us know what you will bring to share. Be sure to check what others are bringing so we can get a range of main dishes, side dishes and deserts. I can supply a Keurig machine to make coffee. TASL can pay for the K-cups, creamer, plates, flatware and drink cups. Optionally feel free to bring breakfast snacks to share !

I will try to remember to bring some nametags. I keep forgetting them. I may just buy the stick-on nametags.

Be sure to bring your own drinks for the day. There is plenty of room for coolers and a full refrigerator in the kitchen. The kitchen also has a full size stove with oven and a large microwave. There's lots time for baking or reheating before lunch !

This meeting is open to ANYONE who would like to participate, or just listen in for their first time. It is a good time for new members to sign up to be a TASL member for 2017. But you do not have to be a TASL member to attend a TASL meeting. If you are thinking about creating your first holiday show with synchronized lights and music, you can join a TASL meeting to learn more about how its done. Come on out and join us! If you are bringing friends or other family members, please make sure you post their names when you acknowledge your attendance.

We always have tables available for an informal Christmas Garage sale throughout the day. Bring cash if you are looking for deals. Bring your items to sell or trade. There are always some real nice deals and giveaways !

Contact anyone from the TASL Steering Committee for more information:
    @kidcole - Denny Cole
    @Bartek - Dariusz Bartkiewicz
    @Samj435 - Sam Johnson
    @scottmcl - Scott McLellan
    @Jack Stevens - Jack Stevens

PLEASE everyone REPLY. Let us know you are coming and WHAT FOOD you will bring for the pot luck. We need a range of foods and having the list of what everyone is bringing will help others decide. We try to avoid duplicates. It's always a GREAT meal.

Attendees:
    @kidcole - Denny Cole < Chicken Pie, Keurig, plates, cups, flatware, etc >
    @Tripplett - Joe Tripp < BBQ Meatballs >
    @EricR - Eric Rogers < pulled pork barbecue >
    @Frank Pleshe - Frank Pleshe < chips/salsa/Buffalo Chicken dip >
    @AnniesSS - Annie Goldman < cookie and another desert >
    @rcktpwrd - Joel Goldman < same as Annie >
    @clchange - Bobby Moore < Food ?? >
    @Matt Rausch - Matt Rausch < food ?? >
    @Paul Lowe - Paul Lowe < food ?? >
    @mpurser - Mike Purser < Lasagna n garlic bread >
    @tsavage - Tom and Linda Savage < Chick-fil-a Nuggets and Kale salad >
    @scottmcl - Scott McLellan - < Veggie Tray >
    @Jack Stevens - Jack Stevens < same as Charity >
    @Charity - Charity Stevens < food ?? >
    @Samj435 - Sam and Bob Johnson < food ?? >
    @Bartek - Dariusz Bartkiewicz <joining after lunch, approx 2pm>
    @dnorman - Dean and Gene Norman <potato wedges and a vegetable side dish>
    @Don Williams - Don Williams < Bojangles Chicken >
    @bobby langston - Bobby Langston < Bojangles Chicken, with Don >
    @5ShepsNC - Cherie & Doug Sheppard < Afternoon only. Bringing desert if they make lunchtime>
    @davecw - David Williams < fruit tray >
    @petulka77 - Petr Cipera < snack platter >

See y'all on February 11th
    Last edited by kidcole; 02-09-2017 at 03:30 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Likes scottmcl liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: OFFICIAL TASL Meeting February 11, 2017 9am till 5pm <Details in Post #1>

Bean-less Chili, bowls, plastic spoons

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: OFFICIAL TASL Meeting February 11, 2017 9am till 5pm <Details in Post #1>

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gebhardt View Post
    Bean-less Chili, bowls, plastic spoons
    I will be there. I will bring some pulled pork barbecue.
    Do people want to see the arches taken apart or what do you want? I will gladly bring them. Do people want me to bring some Falcon controllers for you to see?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks scottmcl thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    Do people want to see the arches taken apart or what do you want? I will gladly bring them. Do people want me to bring some Falcon controllers for you to see?

Always good to see them working and apart. Whatever you are willing to plan. I asked Matt to show Falcon and differential boards. I hope to bring the new PiCap if it arrives.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

tentatively saying we won't be attending at this point but will know better as the meeting date approaches

Gregg Gusta
    Clayton NC, Gregg Gusta & Son Ben, Was converting to LED lights gave up, went back to incan!! not a single pixel in sight!
    Like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/gustafamilychristmas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by ggusta View Post
    tentatively saying we won't be attending at this point but will know better as the meeting date approaches

Gregg Gusta
    :-(

Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Annie and I should be there, we will probably bring a crock pot chili and fixings.

I might drag out my 1/4 wave antenna that I built...
    Joel

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Change of plans since it seems we have a bunch of main courses, I'm going to bake and make cookies and another desert - haven't decided what yet

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have to work this weekend but I might be able to reschedule for next weekend.

Dariusz

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

LOL the last time i brought food i don t rember any one eating it but me but i ll try again sounds like cold cuts and a loaf of bread
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com
    Likes Tripplett liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default OFFICIAL TASL Meeting February 11, 2017 9am till 5pm &lt;Details in Post #1&gt;

I'll be there and if there is time I want to show the difference running digital audio to a Behringer mixer compared to running an 1/8" jack audio.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: OFFICIAL TASL Meeting February 11, 2017 9am till 5pm &lt;Details in Post #1&gt;

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    I'll be there and if there is time I want to show the difference running digital audio to a Behringer mixer compared to running an 1/8" jack audio.
    Added
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: OFFICIAL TASL Meeting February 11, 2017 9am till 5pm &lt;Details in Post #1&gt;

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    I would like that. I have the same hardware but never switched it over after the season

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny, Linda and I will attend the meeting and plan to bring Chick-fil-a nuggets and Kale salad.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post

I would like to see the arches, specifically a BOM. . Would like to see the Falcons as well. I am thinking of getting those for this year.