Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default TASL Tour 2016 <See Post 1>

UPDATED 12/26/2016 The West side tour is Wednesday starting at 5:30 and the East side tour is Thursday at 6pm. I sent the Google link for the tour locations to all TASL members.

FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO JOIN OUR TOUR BUT ARE NOT ON THE TASL LIST: Please post here that you want to attend, and also send me a PM with the names of those touring, plus one cell phone number per car. I'll use that for communications if anything changes last minute. I'll send you the Google Maps link so you can see the tour detail and I'll also send you my cell number.
    Last edited by kidcole; 12-26-2016 at 10:44 AM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Thanks scottmcl, tsavage thanked for this post
    Likes scottmcl, tsavage liked this post

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: TASL Tour 2016 <See Post 1>

Thanks Denny!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kidcole; 12-26-2016 at 10:45 AM.
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I will be coming to both nights. I'll be bringing my wife and she will probably just stay at our house, stop #3 , while I finish the tour.
    Last edited by kidcole; 12-26-2016 at 10:45 AM.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny, my wife and I plan to be on both tours. If my wife is unable to get off early enough, then we will catch up to you all on the West Tour. Hopefully, we can make the start. The 6:00 start for the East Tour should not be a problem. Thanks for making this tour happen!
    Last edited by kidcole; 12-26-2016 at 10:46 AM.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I will be at both nights. Am I stop 2 now?
    Last edited by kidcole; 12-26-2016 at 10:47 AM.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by tsavage View Post
    Denny, my wife and I plan to be on both tours. If my wife is unable to get off early enough, then we will catch up to you all on the West Tour. Hopefully, we can make the start. The 6:00 start for the East Tour should not be a problem. Thanks for making this tour happen!
    Great Tom. If you are late then keep in contact by phone. I'll help you merge in .. wherever we are. You saw Bobby's since we were at the reveal. Eric's address might be a good place to merge in. That would be at least 6:15 .. maybe 6:30. And his Apex address (right on the edge of Cary) is much closer to IBM/Lenovo ..

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    I will be at both nights. Am I stop 2 now?
    Yes, you are second one the route plan. Except the first address is a double. We will meet at Annie's then move over a couple blocks to Bobby Moore's house. That's the house that won the GCLF. Then we'll head to your house.
    Last edited by kidcole; 12-26-2016 at 10:48 AM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

We will be there!
    Last edited by kidcole; 12-26-2016 at 10:48 AM.
    Joel

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Looks like most of the people posting are the ones who's house is on the tour. Which is typical. It makes sense that those with houses on the tour don't need to post here. But for those who don't have a house on the tour and want to join us, please let me know. If you are not on the TASL mail list, then send me a PM so I get everyone's name and a cellphone number !

I just updated Post 1 to clarify the plans .. Please take a look !
    Last edited by kidcole; 12-26-2016 at 10:55 AM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Happyland just posted on their Facebook page that tonight would be their last night. 6:30 to 8pm.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    Happyland just posted on their Facebook page that tonight would be their last night. 6:30 to 8pm.
    OK .. We'll take Bobby off the schedule if he's not going to run his lights for the TASL tour. He is going to join us on the tour tho ..

Annie, is Bobby going to run the lights for TASL, or just come along on the tour ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm in Wednesday for sure, 90% for Thursday.

The times keep changing at HappyLands.
    They were going to be running last night but shut down early (several folks reported the police were there).
    They were also going to run till NYE, now saying tonight in last night.

Makes me more and more convinced it's not been a "technical issue" or a case of the flu, but pressure from the neighbors/police.
    Perhaps he will share the backstory if he joins us Wed?
    Too bad. :-(
    Thanks scottmcl thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    I'm in Wednesday for sure, 90% for Thursday.

The times keep changing at HappyLands.
    They were going to be running last night but shut down early (several folks reported the police were there).
    They were also going to run till NYE, now saying tonight in last night.

Makes me more and more convinced it's not been a "technical issue" or a case of the flu, but pressure from the neighbors/police.
    Perhaps he will share the backstory if he joins us Wed?
    Too bad. :-(
    We'll see his show privately on Wednesday night. And he told me that he would come to the Feb TASL meeting. I don't have the date yet but I am shooting for the middle Saturday of the month. I guess that could be the 11th or the 18th. I'll start post to discuss it.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default TASL Tour 2016 &lt;See Post 1&gt;

Interesting post from a Happylands neighbor:

Btw, this doesn't seem like an unreasonable person at all... interesting perspective from "the other side"

'I'll preface my comments with the information that I am one of HappyLand's immediate neighbors. I specifically invited the TV production crew to park their vehicles at our place and they did, I participated in the filming of the show, and I knew weeks before the show aired that HappyLand had won the 50K prize because the production crew parked 10 vehicles at my house several weeks later, including the large truck that transported the antique car Santa drives, and did not leave until 3 am...yeah that was no filming of "filler scenes". So, I like lots of lights and have a good perspective of the annual light display. However, living across the road from a Great Christmas Light Fight winner is not pleasant at all. In a typical year the back up to turn into the subdivision started the week before Christmas and wasn't more than 10 cars or so at the heaviest. Since December 20th, the backups to get into the subdivision are a mile long in both directions of Penny. From the Holly Springs Road intersection, it has taken 30 minutes to get to our driveway and it's even longer for those living in the subdivision. 30 minutes to go less than a mile. After a long day of work, the last thing you want to do is sit in a mile of bumpers creeping your way towards home every night. It's as if there is a major accident that closes both sides of the road every.single.night.for.hours. Once home, things often didn't end because frustrated drivers would start honking the horns, sometimes quite vigorously and believe me,we can hear it in the house. People have parked in our driveway in order to get out and walk across the road (extremely dangerous) and last week people were parking at the Nazarene church and walking along Penny to get to the house, also very dangerous considering there is no shoulder at all where the gully is. Neighbors within the subdivision had a valid concern about whether emergency vehicles could get to a house in distress. My son is a paramedic for Wake County and while he acknowledges that he has driven the ambulance down the wrong side of a road to get to a call, he doesn't typically do it for a mile length. For Teresa Tart, Lizz Osterman and Edna Brown Reynolds to dismiss residents' concerns and unhappiness at being at the epicenter of this is to be selfishly pre-occupied with your own pleasure at the expense of others. Referring to neighbors as "scrooges", "grumpy", "fussy", "humbuggish" is derogatory and divisive and is precisely the attitude that is not likely to persuade residents of the area to view HappyLand in a positive manner. Imo, the traffic chaos was entirely predictable given the history of prior season's winners' experiences but given the limitations of the geography, I honestly don't know what else the Moores could have done to mitigate the issues except to terminate the display sooner than expected.
    Thanks scottmcl thanked for this post

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I sooooo want to go.......but the two things that have kept me from getting my display all the way completed this year are still there......work, and Lions Club building issues. Not so much that last one this week but definitely the first one.

Get pictures and post them, please!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am going to try to come Wednesday night with my kids.