Thread: OFFICIAL TASL Meeting August 13, 2016 9am till 5pm <Details in Post #1>

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: OFFICIAL TASL Meeting August 13, 2016 9am till 5pm <Details in Post #1>

Thanks so much for your help. I plan to go for the F16V2R controller.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: OFFICIAL TASL Meeting August 13, 2016 9am till 5pm <Details in Post #1>

Quote Originally Posted by tsavage View Post
    Thanks so much for your help. I plan to go for the F16V2R controller.
    I haven't plugged my LOR into them yet because I planned to run them off a pi using the USB output. And frankly I have not had the time to do so. But my understanding is that there are 3 jumpers you set to LOR and then it will send it out to them using a DMX signal. I know if you do that you do not need a crossover cable because that has been discussed on the forums. Worst case Dave Pitts the developer is very active and will help you if needed. Let me know if you do it and I will do the same because I am curious and I might hook mine up that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    I haven't plugged my LOR into them yet because I planned to run them off a pi using the USB output. And frankly I have not had the time to do so. But my understanding is that there are 3 jumpers you set to LOR and then it will send it out to them using a DMX signal. I know if you do that you do not need a crossover cable because that has been discussed on the forums. Worst case Dave Pitts the developer is very active and will help you if needed. Let me know if you do it and I will do the same because I am curious and I might hook mine up that way.

Hi Eric. Yup, that's one of the great tricks of the F16V2R. With the jumpers set for LOR, the V2R's DMX outputs are re-routed to the LOR's DMX signal pins with no crossover required. I'd say the only problem with the F16V2R is its cost. And once it is the main hub for your display, it become a single point of failure. It's always good to decide on your risk plan for your display. So if you want to be covered in case of an F16V2R failure, you need to buy two. If you have a rewiring alternative and willing to go that route in case of failure, then at least you thought it through.

I don't think I have heard of any V2R failures, so this is just a theoretical discussion. I am not nearly as worried about backup protection out here in Clayton, as I was when I ran the display in Cary. I felt pretty bad when 100 cars would come by throughout an evening when I was down for repairs .. or for weather.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Hi Eric. Yup, that's one of the great tricks of the F16V2R. With the jumpers set for LOR, the V2R's DMX outputs are re-routed to the LOR's DMX signal pins with no crossover required. I'd say the only problem with the F16V2R is its cost. And once it is the main hub for your display, it become a single point of failure. It's always good to decide on your risk plan for your display. So if you want to be covered in case of an F16V2R failure, you need to buy two. If you have a rewiring alternative and willing to go that route in case of failure, then at least you thought it through.

I don't think I have heard of any V2R failures, so this is just a theoretical discussion. I am not nearly as worried about backup protection out here in Clayton, as I was when I ran the display in Cary. I felt pretty bad when 100 cars would come by throughout an evening when I was down for repairs .. or for weather.
    I have been a little hesitant to set mine up as a main hub just in case something failed. So I'm going to run the LOR from a Pi. It would be more disappointing for me if it stopped working than the other people at my stage of the show.
    The cost for me is not that much different because I didn't want to build my own controllers this year for times sake. It's only $20 more than an assembled e682 with a lot more features. If your building your own that's always going to be cheaper so it's not really a fair price comparison.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Someone at the last meeting mentioned a 3D printer that was only a few hundred dollars. Can that person or if anyone remembers please post the model and where it was purchased? Thanks!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: OFFICIAL TASL Meeting August 13, 2016 9am till 5pm &lt;Details in Post #1&gt;

That was me. Go to Google and type in "Sunhokey Prusa i3"

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Thanks Tripplett, scottmcl thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It looks like there are a bunch of different Prusa i3 builds and places to get them. I like the fact that it is open source. Do you recommend any specific place to get it and is the Sunhokey a specific build of the Prusa i3? Maybe we should start a 3D printer thread...
    Thanks scottmcl thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight2 View Post
    Here are a couple out of box videos showing how to put this printer together.

There are 5 videos in all. Each one will lead you to the next.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

If you follow the link to the 3D Printers Online store and view the Sunhokey Prusa i3 kit then go to the 3D Printers Online's home page there will be a banner half way down the page showing you can get that printer for $44 off - $190 shipped. I don't know if this comes up automatically or if it is sensing a cookie in my browser history and taylor 'ing the adds to my viewing history. Either way if you want one of these at a good price once you add it to your cart, click on checkout, and enter a US address you should see a -$44 line item. I just ordered one this morning.
    Please note that this is a kit and you will have to assemble it - approx 4-8 hrs.

-10-3-2016-3-51-56-pm.jpg