Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Falcon Pi Day - Join Us. Learn How Simple it can be **** Check Post 1 for Updates

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Falcon Pi Day - Join Us. Learn How Simple it can be **** Check Post 1 for Updates

Quote Originally Posted by smeighan View Post
    You might want to talk about syncing video. I had rpi model b+ as my master, 3 slaves. 2 rpi slaves had video projectors, 3rd slave was a bbb driving a 2x4 panel p10. Also might want yo cover virtual matrix. This where u can define a matrix, say 100x300, for your projector. To xlights it looks like a normal horiz matrix, projector displays 100x300 dots in this example. So play a movie on my garage door then display a xlights effect. I will try to call in (teamviewer?) on march 5th
    Yes that would be great. I forgot about the virtual matrix. I will cover a little on XLights but I'm no smeighan! I've watched many of the videos, literally hours, trying to catch up. I'm waiting for the new videos you mentioned in the christmas expo 2015 videos. What i really want to do is cover the FPP well - to include the sections of XLights required to do the conversions. This will give everyone the foundation stuff. Then if there is any extra time show off the new XLights4. I'm hoping we do another meeting of just XLights4 as there is a ton there by itself to cover.
    Likes scottmcl liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Falcon Pi Day - Join Us. Learn How Simple it can be **** Check Post 1 for Updates

I want to attend just to learn more. I've always been on the DIYC side of things, so this is right down my alley.

As for food, I dislike cooking, so I may just run out somewhere close by to grab a sandwich or chicken if that's ok, rather than participate in a pot-luck (I end up eating the extra for days).
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Van Horn Family Christmas James van Horn's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

This is starting to shape up very nicely. More than likely I am going to have to be remote for this one so whatever we can setup in order to help would be great. Just let me know.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

A quick point on you guys that are buying hardware. Denny and I were talking about this via txt messages and I thought I'd put this here too.
    For the SD card and USB flash drive - don't go crazy on drive sizes. I know these things have come down in price lately but 8G to 16G is plenty. There are posts on FalconChristmas.com of people using 64G and up cards that are having problems. The FPP developers have probably resolved the exFAT issues by now but no need to spend the money if you don't have to. Plus I've got 18 full sequences, a few smaller sequences, and 14 songs on my 16G flash drive and it's only using half a gig. Plus, for the SD card, all that does is store the Falcon Player image and that doesn't need that much - less than a gig.
    Thanks ggusta thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    A quick point on you guys that are buying hardware. Denny and I were talking about this via txt messages and I thought I'd put this here too.
    For the SD card and USB flash drive - don't go crazy on drive sizes. I know these things have come down in price lately but 8G to 16G is plenty. There are posts on FalconChristmas.com of people using 64G and up cards that are having problems. The FPP developers have probably resolved the exFAT issues by now but no need to spend the money if you don't have to. Plus I've got 18 full sequences, a few smaller sequences, and 14 songs on my 16G flash drive and it's only using half a gig. Plus, for the SD card, all that does is store the Falcon Player image and that doesn't need that much - less than a gig.
    I just realized that the USB Flash drive does not come with the Cana Kit .. Is there a particular flash drive that we should get that has a particular performance ? Since you are only using a half gig with all your sequences, is there a reason why we can't put them on the SD card ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I like the Sandisk ones. There's one out now that only sticks out a little, the cruzer fit. They are $7.50 total on Amazon for a 16G. Not Prime but I still got them fast. Yes there are people using the SD for both. I don't know what the advantages or disadvantages are - never looked into it.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I like the Sandisk ones. There's one out now that only sticks out a little, the cruzer fit. They are $7.50 total on Amazon for a 16G. Not Prime but I still got them fast. Yes there are people using the SD for both. I don't know what the advantages or disadvantages are - never looked into it.
    I keep looking at the pictures and I don't see where the micro SD plugs into the board. I can't find a Pi 2 user guide online that shows the bottom .. I am guessing it must be hiding there ...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Falcon Pi Day - Join Us. Learn How Simple it can be **** Check Post 1 for Upd...

It's there, it's on the bottom of the board. The silver looking thing I this picture.
    http://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/...-model-b-3.jpg

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

guys count me in as well
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It's there, it's on the bottom of the board. The silver looking thing I this picture.
    http://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/...-model-b-3.jpg
    Thanks Joe. I thought it might be there. Could not find any pics of the bottom of the Pi 2 Model B.

TASL MEMBERS: **** Very light turnout for the TASL meeting this year. This is shaping up to be the smallest Feb meeting in several years. Looks like TWO meetings won the poll for this year, so the next one will be in August. That should get a good turnout. We can hold some workshops in between. Pi Day is one of them. And there's a proposal for a second Pi Day. We'll be looking for suggestions for another Workshop before August.

Quote Originally Posted by mpurser View Post
    guys count me in as well
    I have you on our list Mike. Post 1 has all the details.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I got my Pi in the mail yesterday. I put it together this morning in about 10 minutes and booted it .. I bought the little $15 keyboard for it and that seems to be working too .. I am looking forward to Pi Day, so I can learn the basics of making this little computer work !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hoping on a second pi day, gotta run to Tennessee for a wedding on the 5th otherwise I'd be there. One question I bought a pi b+ last year can that be used or does an investment into a pi 2 need to happen?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

For those that may want to run a P10 panel like Paul had for his Tune To sign - those are running Falcon Player but are running on a BeagleBone Black. Those are about $55, a little more than a Raspberry Pi. I've been watching EBay for used ones leading up to our meeting. As it happens I just picked up a 4 pack of beaglebone blacks. I only need one. These are new or barely used and come with extras like hdmi cables, bread boards, jumpers, USB hubs, Ethernet cables, and power adapters. These kits they come with are for tinkerers I guess. I have $45 in each and I'm not looking to make any money off of them. If I get them in time I'll bring them to both the TASL and Pi meetings.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

For those that may want to run a P10 panel like Paul had for his Tune To sign - those are running Falcon Player but are running on a BeagleBone Black. Those are about $55, a little more than a Raspberry Pi. I've been watching EBay for used ones leading up to our meeting. As it happens I just picked up a 4 pack of beaglebone blacks. I only need one. These are new or barely used and come with extras like hdmi cables, bread boards, jumpers, USB hubs, Ethernet cables, and power adapters. These kits they come with are for tinkerers I guess. I have $45 in each and I'm not looking to make any money off of them. If I get them in time I'll bring them to both the TASL and Pi meetings.
    Did you say that the Beaglebone version would also be able to be tied to the show for doing effects on the same sign? Or is that a future thing with Pi players ? If it's going to be simpler in the future, I'll wait.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yes, the beaglebone can show just a 'show detached' tune to loop OR it can be part of your show. I will be showing that at both meetings.