Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Falcon Pi Day - Join Us. Learn How Simple it can be **** Check Post 1 for Updates

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Falcon Pi Day - Join Us. Learn How Simple it can be **** Check Post 1 for Updates

"Will that be enough time?" is the real question. How much are we going to cover? How long will each of those items take?
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Falcon Pi Day - Join Us. Learn How Simple it can be **** Check Post 1 for Updates

Address:

The Cary Park Club is located at 5353 Cary Glen Blvd, Cary, NC 27519.
    - Scott M.

Van Horn Family Christmas James van Horn's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hey guys. This is James Van Horn from FL. I would be interested in this as well. Let me know if March 5 is the confirmed date and I will see what I can do on my end to try and make it up there for this. Also, If there is going to be some way to participate remotely, please let me know this as well. I definitely want to learn how easy this is as I would love to get rid of the laptop computer that I use and use a PI to control my show and possible P10 Panels that I am also looking at putting into place this year as well.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Good Day. Also, what is the proposed start and end time of the event?

James Van Horn

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It's still in flux. Keep checking "post 1" for the latest updates...
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hey Guys I am interested in this Falcon Pi day as well, any chance of a remote session via google, hang out, am all the way in NYC

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by junhglebeast View Post
    Hey Guys I am interested in this Falcon Pi day as well, any chance of a remote session via google, hang out, am all the way in NYC
    We have some time, but need to work on the logistics for doing this. More to come later...
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    "Will that be enough time?" is the real question. How much are we going to cover? How long will each of those items take?
    Yea I was thinking about this today. What I wanted to cover at the TASL meeting vs this Pi day meeting. I'm working on an outline for each so give me a few days. For now I'd say a brief overview at the TASL meeting. As for Pi day I would be fine with any requests.

This is not set in stone but this is the types of things to expect.
    - Setting up a new Pi with FPP - bring yours and we can get them set up.
    - testing your lights on FPP
    - converting sequences over to fseq files
    - uploading files, setting up the playlists, and setting up a schedule.
    - updating sequence files.
    - Setting up channel outputs. e1.31, LOR, and P10 panels.
    - Plugins like SMS to your matrix, email changes to the FPP, RDS support, Twitter integration, Sports and Weather data and more.
    - What kinds of things are coming soon.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Master vs slave pi: what are the advantages and disadvantages? How do you set them up to do that?

When and how to connect your pi to your home network. What do you have to watch out for if you do that?

If you email files to FPP, does it automatically update the slaves, too?

I also think this will lead to a follow on session about nutcracker and xlights. Early April for another meeting at the clubhouse?
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    Master vs slave pi: what are the advantages and disadvantages? How do you set them up to do that?

When and how to connect your pi to your home network. What do you have to watch out for if you do that?

If you email files to FPP, does it automatically update the slaves, too?

I also think this will lead to a follow on session about nutcracker and xlights. Early April for another meeting at the clubhouse?
    There is no benefit to having Slave FPPs in your show unless they serve a purpose like I mentioned above. At this time the copying of files from the master to remotes is kind of a manual process and doesn't happen automatically. I haven't looked into the email or txt message plug ins yet. I am running the weather and sports plug ins and they are quite cool.
    Yes, I believe we will spark follow up meetings. I'd be glad to have one at my house out on the huge driveway. Maybe a burgers and hot dogs kind of event.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

3/5 looks to be a good date, altho' at this point that appears to be set already anyhow! so count us in!

we just want to know what we need to bring, is there a link to the $5pi? whats the benefit of getting a version 2b over the $5 pi?

Gregg
    Last edited by ggusta; 01-24-2016 at 06:25 PM.
    Clayton NC, Gregg Gusta & Son Ben, Was converting to LED lights gave up, went back to incan!! not a single pixel in sight!
    Like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/gustafamilychristmas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The $5 ones are really stripped down and right now they are out of stock everywhere. They don't even have a network jack so most are running them wireless and that makes things more complex. What I would recommend is a regular Raspberry Pi B+ or a Raspberry Pi 2. You'll need a 5v power supply for it but you may have one of these lying around off of an old phone or tablet. To set it up you'll also need a usb thumb drive and a micro SD card - both at least 8Gig but no need to go crazy here - 8-16G is plenty. There is a kit on Amazon that had most of this. I like the Canakit ones as they are good quality. I thought someone else also posted a list of what to get in the beginning of this thread.

This is the kit I like. It has a good power supply ($10), case ($10), 8G SD card ($12), a wireless dongle ($10), and some other goodies. It is $69 but if you add up the $42 of items you kinda need anyway plus the $35 Raspberry Pi it is a good deal.
    Amazon.com: CanaKit Raspberry Pi 2 Complete Starter Kit (9-Items): Computers & Accessories
    Thanks ggusta thanked for this post
    Likes ggusta liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Would definitely be interested in whatever method we can connect. Remote would be good.

James

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

You might want to talk about syncing video. I had rpi model b+ as my master, 3 slaves. 2 rpi slaves had video projectors, 3rd slave was a bbb driving a 2x4 panel p10. Also might want yo cover virtual matrix. This where u can define a matrix, say 100x300, for your projector. To xlights it looks like a normal horiz matrix, projector displays 100x300 dots in this example. So play a movie on my garage door then display a xlights effect. I will try to call in (teamviewer?) on march 5th

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by smeighan View Post
    You might want to talk about syncing video. I had rpi model b+ as my master, 3 slaves. 2 rpi slaves had video projectors, 3rd slave was a bbb driving a 2x4 panel p10. Also might want yo cover virtual matrix. This where u can define a matrix, say 100x300, for your projector. To xlights it looks like a normal horiz matrix, projector displays 100x300 dots in this example. So play a movie on my garage door then display a xlights effect. I will try to call in (teamviewer?) on march 5th
    This is great news Sean. We will keep in touch for March 5th and possibly have a time set aside for you to give an overview of xLights .. or at least a Q&A. If you don't mind, send me a PM with your cell number in case we have communications issues. I'll message mine to you as well.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control