Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Falcon Pi Day - Join Us. Learn How Simple it can be **** Check Post 1 for Updates

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Falcon Pi Day - Join Us. Learn How Simple it can be **** Check Post 1 for Updates

I had a Raspberry Pi magazine that vanished somewhere. If you happened to pack it up by mistake let me know - there were a few projects in there I wanted to try.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Falcon Pi Day - Join Us. Learn How Simple it can be **** Check Post 1 for Updates

Another great meeting! Thanks to all that organized, presented and shared tons of information! @smeighan Thanks for the your XLights presentation! Lots to learn here.
    @Joehttp://www.christmascarolina.com/for...tripplett.html Thanks for the great information on Falcon Pi Player.
    Likes tsavage liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Another great meeting! Thanks to all that organized, presented and shared tons of information! @smeighan Thanks for the your XLights presentation! Lots to learn here.
    @JoeThanks for the great information on Falcon Pi Player.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

For those that i mentioned creating a shutdown button for the Raspberry Pi, here is one of many links on how to accomplish this. Raspberry Pi shutdown/reboot button - IoT and other "things"

I am going to start a Raspberry Pi how-to thread to share this and other TIPS/Tricks/hacks/ etc.

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by ggusta View Post
    i left an ethernet cable there, if anyone has it please pm me. Thanks
    PM me. Let me know color and I'll get back to you...
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

If you left a different cord today, please PM me with the type, color and approx length. Thanks!!!

Thanks to everyone who came out today! I think the session went very well! We hoped for a little more "hands on" by everyone, but there were some complications that we didn't realize until we were in the session that made it so we couldn't do that. We'll fix that for the next session.

Many thanks again to @smeighan for the great tutorial!! It was great to learn directly from the Master!!!

Also, apologies for all the technical glitches. We'll try to make sure those get worked out prior to the next session so we're not spending so much time resolving issues.
    - Scott M.
    Thanks tsavage, FrankP thanked for this post
    Likes FrankP, tsavage liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have my wireless router (Linksys wrt54g) DHCP enabled. I finally have my Pi1 hooked up to monitor and keyboard and booted up.
    near the end of the messaged on screen it does say waiting for DHCP to receive IP addresses :'eth0', then a few lines later, cannot access github, unable to pull get updates, then eventually:
    Raspbian GNU/Linux7
    Falcon Player OS Image v1.5
    FPP Login:

1. I guess I do not have my router set up correctly?
    2. What is the login I use to get past this? I was hanging out with a group yesterday when I think someone mentioned the default login/password, of course I did not make a note of it. and cannot find it online (not looking in the right areas....)
    After hearing about issues with improper shutdown, I did not want to yank the power and try again.
    Ross Shotts (100,000+ light total)
    www.lights4paws.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by koi_plumber View Post
    I have my wireless router (Linksys wrt54g) DHCP enabled. I finally have my Pi1 hooked up to monitor and keyboard and booted up.
    near the end of the messaged on screen it does say waiting for DHCP to receive IP addresses :'eth0', then a few lines later, cannot access github, unable to pull get updates, then eventually:
    Raspbian GNU/Linux7
    Falcon Player OS Image v1.5
    FPP Login:

1. I guess I do not have my router set up correctly?
    2. What is the login I use to get past this? I was hanging out with a group yesterday when I think someone mentioned the default login/password, of course I did not make a note of it. and cannot find it online (not looking in the right areas....)
    After hearing about issues with improper shutdown, I did not want to yank the power and try again.
    Is there security on your router? If so turn it off. It will only connect to it if it is a public, open router.

It is OK to turn off the pi when it's at that point. There won't be any problem with it. I've done it myself several times. I can't remember the login username and password. You shouldn't need it though.

Alternatively Joe said you can connect directly to your computer if you set your computer to be a static IP address of 192.168.0.50 and then connect your pi to the computer. The Pi will boot up and be IP address 192.168.0.10. You can connect to it through a web browser by typing in that address.
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

That was Paul Lowe that said how to connect directly. I haven't tried that yet. As for the login you can log into the console with a username of fpp and a password of falcon. It's better to shut down the Pi than to just pull the plug no matter where you are with it on. To shut it down from the console type sudo halt and it will shut down.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post

Alternatively Joe said you can connect directly to your computer if you set your computer to be a static IP address of 192.168.0.50 and then connect your pi to the computer. The Pi will boot up and be IP address 192.168.0.10. You can connect to it through a web browser by typing in that address.
    Yes, I confirmed that yesterday.

Example of when I needed it was during the workshop! Since I couldn't access the wifi, I needed a way to access the pi directly with a cat5 connection.

It REFUSED to work for me with my laptop (which was default setup for dynamic IP addressing).

Here's the explanation from falcon:

" You need to statically assign your PC ethernet interface IP if that interface is isolated between your PC and the FPP. The FPP does not dish out / serve DHCP.
    Configure your laptop to have a static IP address of 192.168.0.50 when you directly connect it to the FPP. By default, the FPP will have a "default" IP address of 192.168.0.10 on its cat5 port even if you set the cat5 port (eth0) to use DHCP or another static IP. Once you set the laptop IP you'll be able to access the FPP at http://192.168.0.10."

the interesting part is this apparently works EVEN IF you previously set eth0 to a different address!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    Many thanks again to @smeighan for the great tutorial!! It was great to learn directly from the Master!!! .
    I was not seated in a place that made easy to follow the screen (that AND my aging eyesight)... also, it jumped into the weeds a bit (for me, at least) so I lost track of some of the presentation.

I believe he mentioned he was recording the session? Is that true? If so, how can I find it.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

i uploaded the two hour video i made from my presentation last weekend.

thanks

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Oh and your router doesn't have to be open to connect to it wirelessly. I would hope you not leave it open and public actually. Mine is set up for WPA2-AES and requires a password to log into the wifi.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

@koi_plumber it sounds like it got an IP address ok. The github part is the Pi trying to reach the Internet. If your show network doesn't have a internet path then you'll see that message. What I would suggest is plugging in some speakers to your Pi and boot it up. It will announce its IP address when it comes up.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    @koi_plumber it sounds like it got an IP address ok. The github part is the Pi trying to reach the Internet. If your show network doesn't have a internet path then you'll see that message. What I would suggest is plugging in some speakers to your Pi and boot it up. It will announce its IP address when it comes up.
    Mine only announced the IP address on the very first boot, and I missed it. Eric helped me type in a status command that had the IP address just a few lines before the end of a large dump of info. But I cannot remember that query right now. I was hoping to find a list of simple commands that we can all use (such as that one) ...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control