View Poll Results: How many Saturday TASL meetings do you want for 2016?

Voters
13. (You need to login to vote)
  • Two

7 53.85%
  • Three

6 46.15%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: <PLANNING> 2016 TASL MEETINGS - See Post #1 for Decisions & Plans

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default <PLANNING> 2016 TASL MEETINGS - See Post #1 for Decisions & Plans

I will use this first post to keep track of planning for all meetings in 2016. This post will change as we make decisions, so refer here for the latest.

FIRST MEETING: Feb 6th CONFIRMED !

RATES: The rental hall is called Swift Creek Community Center and their rates are still the same as last year ($20 per hour). This is still less expensive that any other places we have found. They informed me that the rates will stay the same through June. Then in July they will decide if the rates will change.

2016 SCHEDULE:

FIRST Meeting - Feb 6, 2016 Swift Creek Community Center <confirmed>

ALL CURRENT TASL MEMBERS: We need to finalize our meeting plans for the rest of the year. Please respond to the attached Poll to decide on the number of meetings for 2016. This is not how many you will attend. This is decide how much effort we will put into organizing meetings. I will close the poll in two weeks (1/19), then I will place another poll to select when the meeting(s) will be scheduled.

The names of those voting are not being displayed public, but I can change that if you wish. Feel free to comment here if you think the names should be shown with the votes.

MEETINGS POLL: The Poll has closed, with TWO TASL meetings for 2016 being the winner. But only 13 votes which is LESS THAN HALF of the TASL membership.

SECOND MEETING: Aug 13th (Reservation confirmed)

I'll run the poll again next year to decide how many meetings we want to schedule.
    Last edited by kidcole; 06-03-2016 at 09:59 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: <PLANNING> 2016 TASL MEETINGS - See Post #1 for Decisions & Plans

The Lions Club I belong to is having a fish fry fundraiser that day; Charity and I need to participate in that. However, don't let that stop anyone else from going to the TASL meeting!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stevens View Post
    The Lions Club I belong to is having a fish fry fundraiser that day; Charity and I need to participate in that. However, don't let that stop anyone else from going to the TASL meeting!
    Ugh .. I am sorry to hear this. We had a previous discussion about the date and picked Feb 6th because it didn't have any conflicts. I don't believe you had commented then. Although .. we're not sure that we can keep it. The church is going to keep the room week to week until they move to their new location. There's a good chance they will keep the 6th and leave the 13th open .. or the 20th. The florist said they would know more next week.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Ugh .. I am sorry to hear this. We had a previous discussion about the date and picked Feb 6th because it didn't have any conflicts. I don't believe you had commented then. Although .. we're not sure that we can keep it. The church is going to keep the room week to week until they move to their new location. There's a good chance they will keep the 6th and leave the 13th open .. or the 20th. The florist said they would know more next week.

Denny - don't NOT get it because of me, or any one or two other people not being able to make it. There will always be that issue.of conflicts for people. My Lions Club set the Feb 6 date just recently; we need the money to cover some community expenses we've incurred (buying glasses for people, etc.)

Shameless plug for a 501c3 organization......

The Moncure Lions Club is having a fish fry February 6, from 3 to 7 PM. $10 a plate, with fish, chicken, taters, slaw......take out, or if you eat with us, it's all you care to eat. Between US 1 exits 78 and 79, head towards Old US 1 and follow the signs.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

as per usual i ll go with the flow
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm in for any week in Feb...

As for names in the pool, it doesn't matter to me...

There is a nice tool for voting on schedules called doodle.com. We use it for HOA meeting dates. You then can find out when the most people would be available... Just a thought.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I say we combine the fish fry AND the TASL meetings! Yum!!

Everyone just bring an extra $10 and then we don't have to worry about bringing food! :-)
    Likes AnniesSS liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

But to the poll:
    I know we talked about spending some time on the raspberry pi and FPP at a meeting....

Are we thinking of adding this to a regular meeting agenda?

Frankly I was almost thinking we cold get enough interest to to a whole meeting JUST on raspberry pi's, P10 panels, Begle Bone Blacks and FPP software.
    Likes michaelvhunter liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    But to the poll:
    I know we talked about spending some time on the raspberry pi and FPP at a meeting....

Frankly I was almost thinking we cold get enough interest to to a whole meeting JUST on raspberry pi's, P10 panels, Begle Bone Blacks and FPP software.

[Gregg here]I would support the raspberry pi/fpp meeting. The parts of meetings that are oriented towards pixels and rgb are interesting and provide something for us to consider, but not as relevant to us. This is just my opinion and I am only speaking about our own interests. But a rasbppi/fpp has a broader appeal I think.
    Clayton NC, Gregg Gusta & Son Ben, Was converting to LED lights gave up, went back to incan!! not a single pixel in sight!
    Like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/gustafamilychristmas

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

And the guy who usually talks about LOR and stuff wants to hear about pixels and pi for a change...
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

But to the poll:

I am happy to plan whatever best fits our club. One of the items that usually takes up about 1/3rd of the Feb meeting is where we talk in detail about new things the people tried that either worked or didn't work. It's really good to get new members talking about their first shows. This also helps everyone plan for next December, and pick up on tips for better ways to do things. We also have a continuously growing club, and should be mindful that the majority of the club does not use pixels. These are why I had suggested that aid we plan a second date soon after the TASL meeting, for the Pi/fpp meeting. But, at the same time I think it makes sense to put 60 to 90 minutes for the Pi/fpp overview at the Feb TASL - that will draw people to the Pi meeting...

Everyone - - please keep those posts coming and let us know how you think we should set the Feb agenda. I plan to speak with the florist people on Monday and hopefully we will get the room. Even if the church keeps the room for the 6th, then we should be able to get the 13th. Or if the 13th is their last date, then we can have the 20th ..etc .. etc. I wish we knew of another affordable room like this one, but after several attempts at calling around, every rental room I could find had prices far higher that we pay to the florist .. mostly double (and more). Once we get a solid date, I will open the agenda post ... hopefully early next week.

Chris, the doodle.com idea sounds good. Might you have time to set this up for us ? First let's wait to see the results of the current poll, so we know how many meetings everyone wants for this year. I sent an email to the membership, so more votes are showing up.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Official Lurker Christmascrazynana's Avatar
    Status
    Harrisburg, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I would like to know more about Pi as I'm redesigning my display at the new house and want to keep it simple.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ok, heres an alternate location idea:

Raleigh KOC.

It appears quite a bit bigger than Swift creek- which could be a plus since we've been growing and it would allow more room to display "stuff"
    Wake Service Rentals

It hold 150 people - so I have to think thats a good bit bigger?

Normally goes for $50/hr. The coordinator said she'd do $25/hr for our group.

They have availability 2/20 and 2/27

Oh and they have a cash bar there as well :-)
    Likes rcktpwrd, AnniesSS liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ok, heres an alternate location idea:

Raleigh KOC.

It appears quite a bit bigger than Swift creek- which could be a plus since we've been growing and it would allow more room to display "stuff"
    Wake Service Rentals

It hold 150 people - so I have to think thats a good bit bigger?

Normally goes for $50/hr. The coordinator said she'd do $25/hr for our group.

They have availability 2/20 and 2/27

Oh and they have a cash bar there as well :-)
    I have DJ'd weddings there before. Nice price and only $40 more than we pay for the other room. That's the best alternative room I've seen. It's pretty far from Cary tho .. on east side of Raleigh north of the new I495 (I-64). Let's see what they tell me on Monday, then we can decide.

So far the voting is about split for the number of meetings for this year. If it ends in a tie, I would assume we will just keep the current 3 meeting plan.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I have DJ'd weddings there before. Nice price and only $40 more than we pay for the other room. That's the best alternative room I've seen. It's pretty far from Cary tho .. on east side of Raleigh north of the new I495 (I-64). Let's see what they tell me on Monday, then we can decide.

So far the voting is about split for the number of meetings for this year. If it ends in a tie, I would assume we will just keep the current 3 meeting plan.
    yep- about a 30min drive from Cary.

However, the upside is (what appears to be) much more room.

The last meeting I attended was a bit cramped with display items setup, etc.

I'll dig a bot more for more options- but that one did seem pretty solid.