View Poll Results: How many Saturday TASL meetings do you want for 2016?

Voters
13. (You need to login to vote)
  • Two

7 53.85%
  • Three

6 46.15%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: <PLANNING> 2016 TASL MEETINGS - See Post #1 for Decisions & Plans

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: <PLANNING> 2016 TASL MEETINGS - See Post #1 for Decisions & Plans

We could still meet at my neighborhood club house. I know it was a bit more cramped, but it's a lot closer for us, too.
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    We could still meet at my neighborhood club house. I know it was a bit more cramped, but it's a lot closer for us, too.
    A very good idea Scott. And possibly keep the same date (Feb 6th) .. Do you remember if they have folding chairs available ? We might need seating for 25-ish people.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

They didn't have folding chairs. Everyone can always bring a chair! Show up early for a comfy couch seat!!
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I can book it anytime its available to host the pixel conversation before all the sales end. Can we do that in the next week or so? Who could run that session for us noobs?!?!
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I am happy to plan whatever best fits our club. One of the items that usually takes up about 1/3rd of the Feb meeting is where we talk in detail about new things the people tried that either worked or didn't work. It's really good to get new members talking about their first shows. This also helps everyone plan for next December, and pick up on tips for better ways to do things. We also have a continuously growing club, and should be mindful that the majority of the club does not use pixels. These are why I had suggested that aid we plan a second date soon after the TASL meeting, for the Pi/fpp meeting. But, at the same time I think it makes sense to put 60 to 90 minutes for the Pi/fpp overview at the Feb TASL - that will draw people to the Pi meeting...

Everyone - - please keep those posts coming and let us know how you think we should set the Feb agenda. I plan to speak with the florist people on Monday and hopefully we will get the room. Even if the church keeps the room for the 6th, then we should be able to get the 13th. Or if the 13th is their last date, then we can have the 20th ..etc .. etc. I wish we knew of another affordable room like this one, but after several attempts at calling around, every rental room I could find had prices far higher that we pay to the florist .. mostly double (and more). Once we get a solid date, I will open the agenda post ... hopefully early next week.

Chris, the doodle.com idea sounds good. Might you have time to set this up for us ? First let's wait to see the results of the current poll, so we know how many meetings everyone wants for this year. I sent an email to the membership, so more votes are showing up.
    My thoughts for this meeting are something like this:
    1 Let's all be ready to do something before the meeting rather than just a discussion.
    I am going slightly out on a limb here and assuming maybe everyone has a laptop or some device that they can communicate with a fpp/pi ( I am going to assume no beagle bone's for the sake of simplicity)
    2. Get the basics already downloaded and ready when you come to the meeting.
    a) install whatever software onto your laptop that you would need. sequencing software (vixen/lor/etc), fpp, pi os software, PRIOR TO MEETING
    b) have peripheral hardware ready, a pi, a cable, usb stick, sd card
    3. Let's get some hands on at least setting these up and loading the software and maybe a sequence and talk about how to use the pi to run the show or some other possibilities.

I think once we can get to a comfort level for the novices and maybe learn some new tips and tricks for those who have gotten past that portion of the learning curve might be the most benefit for the most people.

Probably pretty important that we can access some decent internet connection in case any added downloads or sites need to be accessed at the meeting.

just my .02.

Gregg
    Last edited by ggusta; 01-08-2016 at 11:24 PM.
    Clayton NC, Gregg Gusta & Son Ben, Was converting to LED lights gave up, went back to incan!! not a single pixel in sight!
    Like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/gustafamilychristmas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

... so we have three meetings in discussion at the same time right now. 1. the presale planning meeting 2. the first TASL for 2016 and 3. the Pie day

Looks like Scott was talking about the pre-sale, but I am not sure. He called it the "pixel conversation." Scott, please clarify. Or were you suggesting the Pi day? I got confused since running the Pi is the whole show and not just pixels. And pixels run fine with LOR, but not in large quantities (thousands) ..

We need a volunteer to plan to pre-sale meeting, so we can set a date and location right away. Most of what I want will be custom pixels for this coming year. I'll be working with Ray Wu (hopefully) to buy some of his new large path lights (the large iTwinkle type bulbs) with custom bases for my roof .. most likely 12" spacing. And I have decided to make my icicles similar to what Petr did with his, except I want a larger spacing on those .. maybe 5." I will probably buy those from Ray since I'll be working with him on the large bulbs anyhow. But I do need 15 sets of 100 bulb M5 or M6 warm white LEDs for my view-meter/light-stacker bases for my Bang Stars. And I need 17 sets of 70-bulb C6 Warm White LED strings. I want all mine to be the sealed full wave type.

Greg, I agree that we should create some prep instructions for the Pi day. It's a great idea for us to have prep instructions for all meetings going forward. It would help the meetings to be more efficient ! Scott, once we settle on the date for the TASL, I'd like to suggest that we plan the Pi day at your room.

I hope we can get our date confirmed for the Feb 6th TASL on Monday. I'll be traveling all day Monday but I'll be calling the florist early afternoon. I'll post something Monday evening so we can move forward.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yes. But without knowing if I need pi or anything else then I need to understand what else I need to get in order to make my purchases. Maybe it's one on one help I need. The problem is that I don't know what I don't know to get started...
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yes. But without knowing if I need pi or anything else then I need to understand what else I need to get in order to make my purchases. Maybe it's one on one help I need. The problem is that I don't know what I don't know to get started...
    I would get a kit with a Pi but you need the Raspberry Pi B+ not the Raspberry Pi 2. They have different processors and there is no pre-built package for FPP yet for the 2. I have tried multiple times to get the software built for the 2 and I havent had luck.

Like I said, I would get a kit but kits for the B+ are not plentiful on Amazon...

Pi: 301 Moved Permanently

Then get a 8GB micro sd card: 301 Moved Permanently

Power Supply 301 Moved Permanently

Case: 301 Moved Permanently

Wifi module 301 Moved Permanently

And a nice big USB stick for your sequences: http://amzn.com/B005FYNSZA
    Thanks scottmcl thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Here is an amazon shopping list. https://amzn.com/w/1WI863QH04WFN
    Thanks scottmcl thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gebhardt View Post
    I would get a kit with a Pi but you need the Raspberry Pi B+ not the Raspberry Pi 2. They have different processors and there is no pre-built package for FPP yet for the 2. I have tried multiple times to get the software built for the 2 and I havent had luck.

Like I said, I would get a kit but kits for the B+ are not plentiful on Amazon...

Pi: 301 Moved Permanently

Then get a 8GB micro sd card: 301 Moved Permanently

Power Supply 301 Moved Permanently

Case: 301 Moved Permanently

Wifi module 301 Moved Permanently

And a nice big USB stick for your sequences: http://amzn.com/B005FYNSZA
    I have a FPP IMG that's been working fine on my pi2's.

Are you using the latest version? The ONE thing that was missing for the pi2's was support for driving pixels directly from the gpio pins- but even that has been uddated and is now working...
    Likes scottmcl liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Bought two of everything...
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The list is blank for me .. Can you copy a list here for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    I have a FPP IMG that's been working fine on my pi2's.

Are you using the latest version? The ONE thing that was missing for the pi2's was support for driving pixels directly from the gpio pins- but even that has been uddated and is now working...
    Would it be possible to share a working image with TASL members ? Can you just copy the USB key ? Or another way ??
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    The list is blank for me .. Can you copy a list here for us.
    Too funny - since I bought everything on his "wish list" earlier, it removed everything from it!!! The same items are in the post above this one. Just takes extra clicks to add them to the cart.
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Try this list. I'm curious if anyone buys anything off it and the items disappear from the list. Please let me know so I can figure it out through Amazon. I know I've seen others create lists like this in the past to share with other users.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/g..._nav_recip_gl?
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Too funny - since I bought everything on his "wish list" earlier, it removed everything from it!!! The same items are in the post above this one. Just takes extra clicks to add them to the cart.
    Ah .. I get it. Most of the links say "301 Moved Permanently" .. So I was thinking that had something to do with the V2 problems being discussed. I guess we should be having this discussion in the other post since it's not about the meeting planning :-)

I noticed that the 2 meetings per year is now the leader. But we still have about 10 days to go. Only 13 people voted out of about 30 invited to vote.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole