Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: 2015 TASL Tour!

There are also a good number of displays not on the display locator that we may want to add into the tour. That is how we found Petr's house and got him involved. I know of three synchronized displays near me, none of which are TASL members. One goes dark on December 26th, so obviously they are out, but another one runs until the end of the year. Did we want to include them?
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The more the merrier :-)

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Our past policy to keep things organized was to plot the houses of the TASL members who can join the tour. We didn't go to every house. Then we would pick one or two other displays that are in the same area. Of course with two nights we can be more flexible, but I think it makes sense to schedule the houses of members who are coming on the tour. Most of the fun was with each person going through how his/her display was set up, unique features, etc. Even people with one controller have good ideas to offer ! My 3 cents.

I am making progress. My megatree (now with LEDs) and my one pixel tube tree have been running. I run them using my songs with no audio, along with the rest of the display sitting static. But the DAMN rain won't stop ! After getting everything on the roof in the rain yesterday, I worked till midnight modifying and relabeling cables. It's been raining HARD all morning so none of those are installed yet. My mini display for this year will probably not start until tomorrow night (Christmas Eve) .. still .. I am happy to have something running. The spirit is still alive!

oh ... We found Petr's display on the internet when his video was listed as being in Morrisville NC. Somebody posted a link here and we were all shocked that so many pixels were hiding under our nose. With sites like DoItYourselfChristmas.com providing complete help, there will be more and more showing up. It also shows that we're not doing much of anything to promote TASL. We should call a coffee meeting (for everyone .. not just steering committee) to discuss how we can promote TASL. Since I am retired, next year I can put some time into promoting us. Jan 1st I take over as president of the Carolinas Chapter of the Antique Outboard Motor Club (AOMCI) .. It's a national club with about 8000 members. We have about 90 members in the Carolinas and growing. In my new post, I may learn some things that could help us ! Gotta run .. I no longer hear the rain pounding .. back outside.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by AnniesSS View Post
    The more the merrier :-)
    Starting at 5:30 or 6pm, the most we ever covered in one night was last year. That was 10 addresses and it took a bit of effort to keep us moving ! And we went REALLY late. Most past TASL tours were 7 or 8 houses. If someone plots all the locations and splits into two nights by zone, then maybe doing 10 or 11. I doubt we could do more than that and still say it was fun ..

If we are going to do an Eastern zone night, and we want to add one where the member won't be with us, perhaps Don William's display should be included? His is among the top 8 or 10 in the state, but due to his location in Wendell we never included him. And because he could not join us for the tour.

This is Blaine Fuller's last year and he increased his display from last year's ABC Light Fight win ! His would be another good candidate for the Eastern zone night ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I know our didplay isnt on the locator but we will still be going on the tour. We live like 15 min from blaine so just put us on the same night with his. We live at 361 collinsworth dr clayton nc
    Clayton NC, Gregg Gusta & Son Ben, Was converting to LED lights gave up, went back to incan!! not a single pixel in sight!
    Like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/gustafamilychristmas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The way I see it, we draw a line north and south through the middle of Raleigh to set the areas. So I suggest we create a list of houses on each side. It looks to me like the west side would be Tuesday night and the East side would be another night (Monday or Wednesday ?).

The largest grouping is on the East side of Raleigh. If you want .. I will collect the candidates for the Tuesday East side run and create a schedule. I can't do it until Saturday .. or possibly Sunday morning. But I'll do it in time to get teh schedule to everyone before the weekend is over.

Looking at Google - - - Sam, Don Williams, Greg Gusta and Blaine are on the West side. That one is an easy layout. I'd say we start with Sam, then go to Wendell to Don, then drop south to Greg, and further south to Blaine. All of those are going to be great shows, so we probably should keep it to a small number so we have time to absorb what's going on. It would be a really fun night of big displays ! Blaine's house of definitely worth seeing !! I live near Blaine, but it's not worth coming by .. unless we just want to stop for 5 minutes to see the layout I am dealing with. Mine could be last, so if we're running too late at Blaine's then we just end there. Let me know what night the group wants to do this ..

SInce this is a weeknight, did we agree on what time we start ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Sounds good and th time works for us too. Where to meet?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

anything should work for us.
    Clayton NC, Gregg Gusta & Son Ben, Was converting to LED lights gave up, went back to incan!! not a single pixel in sight!
    Like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/gustafamilychristmas

Status
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Carl is still around i see him on face book all the time i did nt mean to stir the pot by my post we are so far out yall would ride all night for 2 displays.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I went ahead and made a map of all the TASL members from the list Denny sent out last month. There are a few outliers:

Mike Purser - Vanceboro
    Tom Durig - Selma
    Rob Noble - Sanford
    Jack and Charity - Pittsboro
    Tom Savage - Hurdle Mills

The closest is Tom Durig in Selma, as it's not too much further than Clayton, however I don't know if he has a display going on this year, and if so when it's being turned off. Mike and Jack are very active TASL members and I'd love to see their houses, however it would add quite a bit of time to our travels. Any ideas on these points?
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'd say to NOT visit my display, for multiple reasons, and the main one is the distance and the time it takes to cover that (Pittsboro, about 40 minutes from where Denny USED to live) We also went out of town for Thanksgiving, and between work and the weather I never got fully set up.

That said, I'm going to try to make it on the tour this year. Where to meet, and when?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Alright, I've got the map right here - https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...ac&usp=sharing

If everyone can send me an Email or PM with their radio station information, I can add it to the map information so we know what station to tune the vehicles to as we drive around.

I've got us starting at Annie's for West Night and Denny's for East night. If there isn't enough parking near you two, let me know and I can change up the routes. That would prevent us from parking in a random lot somewhere.
    Likes AnniesSS liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

There's plenty of on street parking at our house. No curbs or sidewalks on either side.

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I guess I won't put it together... Lol!!

I have the station list from last year. I'll add it in a few minutes...
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Sounds like a solid plan coming together.... Love the idea of two nights!

I'd say we should start early... Really, even 5pm is dark enough to see lights, IMO.

Regardless though, I'm in! Can't wait. Spent 3 hours doing last minute repairs tonight, so I'm looking forward to chilling and getting t of my own yard for a few hours! :-)