Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: OFFICIAL TASL Meeting May 3rd, 2014 9am till 5pm <Details in Post #1>

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    I've been meaning to reply to this note for a few days.

I really wanted to be able to come to the meeting this time.

However, a number of things have happened in the last month that have made it very difficult to carve out the time to come to Raleigh.

The late winter hangover pushed back some projects that we've been trying to get started here on the Schell homestead. We're on the road to spruce up the current house, with expectations that we'll list it for sale soon. Also, we've started the new house hunt and that has taken up a few weekends already. We're not moving out of the area, just looking for a new place all on one level with some land around it.

In addition, some changes at work have kept me much busier than expected, which leaves little extra time to work on light projects. I did manage to put together a few Komby kits (Sam will be talking about these on Saturday), and gotten at least 1 WM2999 (WalMart bargain light retrofit from last year) working via wireless.

So, it pains me to say that I won't be coming to the meeting this week. Denny's been bugging me via email and IM, so I figured I needed to post a note with my regrets.
    Good to hear from ya ! Are you moving closer to Raleigh ? Mark down August 23rd for the next <last> all day TASL for 2014. We may have at least one or two training meetings after that, but that's usually just locals.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: OFFICIAL TASL Meeting May 3rd, 2014 9am till 5pm <Details in Post #1>

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stevens View Post
    Any interest in making this online and perhaps interactive online? I'm thinking Google Hangouts might work for this; only software I've found that will supposedly allow multiple bi-directional video connections.
    All sounds good. People have been asking for live. If you can get a good connection to the internet. It takes a lot of dedication of your time to make it all work well. But would be nice.
    I dug out the old TASL Christmas Convention account. It surprised me that it was still active and receiving email from vendors.

Google Hangout - look for "TASLRDU@gmail.com" Backup will be "jackstevens5@gmail.com"

I need to go mount my IP webcam to my tripod. It will be in the back of the room. Microphone will be in the front of the room.

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

online for remote attendance in a Google Hang - out - taslrdu@gmail.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

good seeing everyone yesterday great presentation yesterday Scott.
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com
    Thanks scottmcl thanked for this post
    Likes Jack Stevens liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mpurser View Post
    good seeing everyone yesterday great presentation yesterday Scott.
    Yes, great seeing everyone. It was a fun TASL. A bit more social this time. It's good to see the friendships moving around ! I always enjoy Scott's overview pitch because it seems to take on different focus items each time. Everyone seems to find a couple things to change with their display to make things easier.

When I got home all the DIODES for the group buy were here .. plus a tag on the door from Fedex. They had all my pixels and stuff .. But dang it .. they didn't leave it. Nobody home ti sign for the package. Looks like Tuesday for their next try..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

thats odd Denny if im not home my items are waiting for me awwwwwww the country life
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

If I know I'm expecting a package and I won't be home I will leave a note on the door saying to please leave all packages. Ups, fed ex, and usps will comply if you leave a signed note.

Van Horn Family Christmas James van Horn's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny,

I have got to get back on to my pixel plan and get some stuff ordered if I am going to have any shot this y ear of doing anything with pixels. I would like to as I don't want to be behind everyone else trying to play catch up with technology. I love this stuff.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    If I know I'm expecting a package and I won't be home I will leave a note on the door saying to please leave all packages. Ups, fed ex, and usps will comply if you leave a signed note.
    Ha ! Now you tell me. I have good news tho. The packages were delivered yesterday with almost all of my pixels n stuff .. for this year's new effects.

I placed an order for a couple E6804s yesterday, and Jim said he would also send me an updated firmware chip for my old E681 kit that I never built. That will move me up this year to 3 E681s and 2 E6804s driving all the pixels.

Last year I had one DMX universe output from an E681, and one direct USB type. This year I will drive both DMX outputs from the E681s. One disadvantage of the E681 is the RS485 amp. The E681 does not have the amp for driving a DMX cable, where the amp is included with the E682. I made my own 485 amp on proto board based on a simple schematic from DIYC. It's only about 5 components and I can share the design if anyone ever needs it.

I am breaking my own rules this year and building a pixel tree with 5v pixels. The price reduction for 5v at DIYLEDExpress was just too good to pass up. I just wish the pixel strings would come with connectors already mounted and waterproofed. That's a big advantage when you can buy your strings already wired up from Ray Wu. I don't mind soldering but I worry about how well they are waterproofed (or not) ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Does anyone have the link to the adjustable antenna that was covered during Scott's presentation?
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    Does anyone have the link to the adjustable antenna that was covered during Scott's presentation?

FM DX Antenna Co: FM Transmitter Antennas
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Thanks scottmcl thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It was great to meet the group. I learned a great deal and came away with so many new ideas. Wearable pixels, floodlights, miniature controllers, and much more. All very much appreciated. This week I'll be ordering about 15 smart pixel strips, extensions, power supplies, a few 682 and 6804 Sandevices controllers, and more pixel modules. These will form a pixel tree, two arches, and more on my display this year running Unicast E1.31. Yesterday I purchased two ten foot long pieces of 3/4" PEX pipe to run some arch tests. I'll share my findings.
    Likes scottmcl liked this post