Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default February 21st TASL Meeting <see first post for details>

Announcing the first meeting of 2013 for the Triangle Area Synchronized Lighting <TASL> group.

Date and Time: February 21, 2013 (Thursday) 5pm-10pm

Place: Swift Creek Community Center
    6221 Yates Mill Pond Rd
    Raleigh NC, 27606

As always, the first meeting of each new year is informal. Here is out agenda for this meeting:

1) Show and tell. Bring your creations from last year to share with the group. Bring your ideas, prototypes or anything else you would like to discuss or share.
    2) What's new with ChristmasCarolina for 2013.
    3) TASL Plans for 2013. We'll be collecting agenda ideas for the two formal Saturday TASL meetings, workshops, group buys and education sessions (LOR and Vixen).
    4) TASL Business. We'll discuss the current TASL rules and suggestions for changes. We can always use input to attract new members.
    5) Beginner Session. Review best practices and provide help for those planning their first synchronized light display this year.
    6) Advanced Session. Discuss RGB and Pixel solutions, wiring standards, DC power planning, etc.

The hall will be open at approximately 5pm for unloading and setup. The general meeting will start approximately 6pm and will end around 9:30pm. We'll all help clean up before we leave.

In past meetings we have had catered dinners or potluck meals. If there is enough interest, we can consider this again. Feel free to bring your own drinks and snacks. The hall has a full kitchen and refrigerator if needed.

This meeting is open to anyone who would like to participate, or just listen in for their first time. It is a good time for new members to sign up to be a TASL member for 2013. You do not have to be a TASL member to attend a TASL meeting. If you are thinking about creating your first holiday show with synchronized lights and music, you can join a TASL meeting to learn more about how its done. Come on out and join us! All new member prospects get their first meeting free. Please see TASL membership rules for more details.

Contact anyone from the TASL Steering Committee for more information: @kidcole, @Jack Stevens, @scottmcl, or @robb3369
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: February 21st TASL Meeting <see first post for details>

I'm so EXCITED!!! I can't wait!!
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to miss this meeting. I found out this week that Feb 20 is the date for my heart ablation procedure. So I'll be coming home from the hospital on 2/21 and have been told to take it real easy for several days. In addition, I'm not allowed to sit upright for more than an hour for the first week.

But I'll be with you guys in spirit.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!
    Likes scottmcl liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm going to have to miss this meeting. I found out this week that Feb 20 is the date for my heart ablation procedure. So I'll be coming home from the hospital on 2/21 and have been told to take it real easy for several days. In addition, I'm not allowed to sit upright for more than an hour for the first week.

But I'll be with you guys in spirit.
    Sounds good Mark .. We'll get you lined up to present a session or two on the May 4th meeting.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'll be brining my pixel star, E682, RPM's DMX bridge, and one Renard SS24 for show and tell. Depending on the weather, I may also bring my prototype for this year.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    I'll be brining my pixel star, E682, RPM's DMX bridge, and one Renard SS24 for show and tell. Depending on the weather, I may also bring my prototype for this year.
    Sounds good. Whatever anyone wants to bring. The first meeting of the year is usually one big show n tell .. Also good for new members to get ideas, learn some good habits, tips, tricks, etc...

In my case, I may save my pixel stuff for the May 4th meeting. Perhaps set up a live demo with my pixel tree and my CoroFlakes. Hmmm makes me tired just thinking about it. Maybe just one of those on the first Saturday meeting, the other on the second Saturday meeting.

I sold Midnight Splash today. So I'll probably be depressed for a month or two. It's a happy and and a sad day at the same time. Some Christmas projects will keep me busy so I don't think about it as much. You can see my ad in Raleigh Craigslist by typing in Midnight Splash. She's an awesome boat but it was time to move her on. We've been on the lake with her for over 10 years ... I have some alternate plans now, and first thing I'm doing is going to grab one of the new Seadoo 255HP Speedster 150s. They just came out with that horsepower (my current one is 215hp). Now they are going to stop making the boats .. so I "need" one to throw my hair back once in a while (or what's left of it) ! Perhaps we have a local pot luck dinner cruise before I hand her over? It would have to be in the next few weeks probably .. I'll post something this week sometime to see if there is interest. We can share some food and talk Christmas out on the water. Temperature does not matter .. She has a 3 ton heatpump...
    Last edited by kidcole; 02-02-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Likes scottmcl liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Something that I would like to see, not necessarily at this meeting but at some point this year, is a collection of all the popular LED lighting packages. We focus so much on "smart" and "dumb", with how to control them, but I've never seen a collection of different package types all at once. I have gotten the 12mm string, the standard strip, and the 3 5050's in a row board. I know @kidcole has some of the 4 5050's per module that he used in his snowflakes.

The reason I mention this is so that we can all get a better visual reference on how each light looks before we go ahead and order a ton of them. I have seen a few package types that have peaked my interest, but as I have never seen them before I don't know how they will look.

Aliexpress.com : Buy Promotion!!! 30mm diameter WS2801 pixel module,1.44W,6pcs 5050 SMD RGB LED;DC12V input from Reliable ws2801 led module suppliers on Ray wu&#39;s store

Aliexpress.com : Buy 360degree emitting 50mm diameter full color ball type led pixel module, pixel node,DC12V input,3pcs 5050 RGB+TM1804IC from Reliable ball pixel light suppliers on Ray wu&#39;s store

Aliexpress.com : Buy 26mm milky cover ws2801 led pixel module,DC5V input,1pcs 5050 smd rgb led inside,0.24W from Reliable ws2801 pixel module suppliers on Ray wu&#39;s store

It seems like every month a new style is out.

Also, RGB is going down in price already - Aliexpress.com : Buy 5m led digital strip,DC12V input,WS2811IC(256 scale);10pcs IC and 30pcs 5050 SMD RGB each meter;waterproof from Reliable led dream color strip suppliers on Ray wu&#39;s store. That's the kind I got for my arches this past year. I ordered them early October at $36 a roll.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Good idea @Samj435 .. Perhaps we can start to make some demo boards that also match the wiring of some of our controllers? Then bring them routinely to meetings. @mschell has been very well prepared with his wiring and controller demos at many of our meetings. Al used similar white pucks for his wireless show this year, but I think his might have been 3 5050s instead of 6. I am not sure if I would like 6. My square modules with 4 on them are plenty bright. But I get your point of having something of each to show.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default February 21st TASL Meeting <see first post for details>

What I would like to learn about whether its at a TASL or ULE meeting is how to solder your supply tails to a pixel strip and then waterproof the connection. I want to buy more pixel strips and possibly cut my CCRs but I am not much on soldering.

Another thing I have mentioned before about putting 3 or 4 core connections on your pixels is what I did on my GECEs this past year. Don't buy the little short 1 or 2 feet tails. Buy an extension with a male and female end that's about 15 or 20 feet long. Then cut about 18 inches or so off of your female side and connect that to your controller and use the other end for your lead wire to your pixels and you'll have one less connection to make. It worked very well for me.
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Shannon,
    What I found in soldering was to scrape off the gel/plastic that was covering the strip, scrape some of the tarnish from the copper pads if present, and then solder the wire to it. I did also slid some heat shrink on the wire before I soldered. And then used some silicone or other sealant on the connections, slid the heat shrink over the connection, making sure I didn't cover any LEDs, and then shrink the tubing with a hot air gun.

On my strips that went into poles, I made sure the top of the pipe was sealed or sheltered. The connections came out the bottom and were taped or heat-shrunk.

As for using longer cables, that's not a bad idea. I used 6 ft extensions and did exactly like you said - cut it for the controller end and the strip end. My controller was close to the fixture, so 6 ft was long enough.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!
    Likes SWood liked this post

Official Lurker Christmascrazynana's Avatar
    Status
    Harrisburg, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I won't be able to make the 2/21 meeting as I'm out of town on business but will be there in May.

Nancy

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by SWood View Post
    What I would like to learn about whether its at a TASL or ULE meeting is how to solder your supply tails to a pixel strip and then waterproof the connection. I want to buy more pixel strips and possibly cut my CCRs but I am not much on soldering.

Another thing I have mentioned before about putting 3 or 4 core connections on your pixels is what I did on my GECEs this past year. Don't buy the little short 1 or 2 feet tails. Buy an extension with a male and female end that's about 15 or 20 feet long. Then cut about 18 inches or so off of your female side and connect that to your controller and use the other end for your lead wire to your pixels and you'll have one less connection to make. It worked very well for me.
    Al gave some soldering lessons last year at a TASL meeting. And anyone can learn. Your soldering will improve with practice and with having decent equipment rather than cheap pencils. We could certainly plan a soldering lesson for one of the upcoming TASL meetings.

I LOVE your second paragraph. That is a great suggestion. But I would add that if we can buy pixel strips already wired with connectors and lead cable .. then we won't even have to mess with the soldering and stripping that @mschell mentioned. With my dumb strips I did have to follow what Mark talked about tho. Generally with dumb strips we don't plan to use the whole strip together, but rather in segments. So in that case you have no choice but to cut solder and seal the cable to each section.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Less than a week away... what's the word with the food? Bring-Your-Own-Dinner?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    Less than a week away... what's the word with the food? Bring-Your-Own-Dinner?
    Yes, that sounds fine to me. We usually do not do the pot luck meal for the weeknight meetings. I am OK with the "bring your own" plan, unless someone wants to speak up and organize something.

I will open the doors around 5pm for load in. We can do some random chatting for the first hour and then start the meeting. PLEASE look at the first post to bring your items for discussion and for the TASL club discussion. After the TASL meeting I will share the club discussion with the remainder of members who could not attend. Just to make sure everyone gets a chance to ring in on anything we discuss.

Once everyone has settled in (approx start 6pm or so) .. We need to end by 9:30, clean up the room (does not take much time) and clear out by 10pm.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ok, I may be a bit late. I don't get off until 6pm normally, I'll ask my boss and see if I can leave 30min-1hr early.