Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: February 21st TASL Meeting <see first post for details>

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    Ok, I may be a bit late. I don't get off until 6pm normally, I'll ask my boss and see if I can leave 30min-1hr early.
    Ok If we don't see you, we'll keep the topics warm for you ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Charity and I should be there fairly close to "opening time" - depends on how soon I can leave after my 3 PM staff call.

I'll bring some things with me; I really hate not being able to commit to anything because they still haven't signed that darn union contract yet.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

sounds like you guys are planing to have all the good stuff now save some of it for may will yas you did not think id let this thread go with out adding my 02 did ya
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am looking forward to our first TASL meeting of 2013 tomorrow evening. Sorry I have not posted much. I accepted a new job leading the development of a very high technology server .. and the transition has been eating a lot of time. I'll see you all tomorrow !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

eh ok
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Toymaker/Delivery Guy Santa Shannon's Avatar
    Status
    Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'd say we had a good meet last night, even if attendance was light. I learned a lot of good stuff, but the two things that stand out to me as most interesting were learning that: 1) there is a page-flip command to allow swapping of configs for the e68x boards, and that 2) the e68x boards allow for DMX-out as well as pixel-out.

The first is cool because, if you are new to RGB but went straight to pixels instead of dumb-strip then you would probably want to ease into the waters by treating your pixel strips as dumb, which is easy enough to do through a macro in your config. But what to do when you want to do a fully animated strip for a song or two? Well, there is a way to use the "throw-away" channels (511 & 512) to call a different config file at the beginning of your more complex sequence and then flip back to the macro'd config at the end. Very cool.

The second thing was good to know because I always thought if I wanted to do basic DMX (for dumb strip or spots, for instance) and e1.31 for pixels that I'd need to run two wires to the yard, but apparently you can config one of the outputs to do DMX instead of pixel protocols.

Anyhow, good stuff all around. Can't believe we have to wait 3 months for the next meet!
    Check out my professional Santa website, That's Santa!.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

hump might be 3 for some but its 6 for others maybe the lite runout might mean maybe saturday meeting swould mean a better turn out

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

We had a great time last night. There were about 12 people and we had a chance to discuss our shows along with the good and the bad stuff. We had FOUR more new members sign up for the 2013 year last night. A BIG welcome to Shanta, David, Rob and Greg !

We will be starting to work on the agenda for the May 4th Saturday meeting and presenters. Even though we will have technical content equal to a Convention, we will not sell any tickets. Our two Saturday meetings this year will include a pot luck meal (everyone contributes) and we will organize coffee and other refreshments for the morning. We will plan a wide range of topics from beginner to advanced topics, and one or more potential workshop project prototypes will also be shown.

We also decided to make a small change to our TASL club rules last night. We will no longer require presenters to pay the one-time daily fee to join a TASL meeting. Our original rules required all attendees to either be TASL members or pay the one-time fee (whether presenting or not). I will be updating the club document to show this change.

Please mark your calendars for May 4th 9am till 5pm. And feel free to send suggestions for presentations.
    Last edited by kidcole; 02-22-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I enjoyed looking at all the neat stuff Denny brought to the meeting. He has really built up a collection of "stuff".

I'm really looking foward to the workshops. I missed out on the welding one last year, and would love to build something cool. I like the spotlight ideas, but I'm going to see how the ones I ordered turn out first. Depending on the results, they may go up for sale, lol.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default February 21st TASL Meeting <see first post for details>

Oh dang - I missed it! That's what I get for not pitting the dates in the calendar!! And also not getting on the forums in about a month...

Sounds like it was still fun!!!
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    I enjoyed looking at all the neat stuff Denny brought to the meeting. He has really built up a collection of "stuff".
    As I mentioned at the meeting, we should create a suitcase or tub of all the good habits things. Then we can share them with new members at the meetings. @scottmcl is our resident "new guy" .. meaning he put an outline together for all the first year things to consider. We need to snag a copy of that document and review/update it. Then make sure all the topics are covered by examples in the "suitcase" .. Then I can bring the suitcase to every meeting ...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    Oh dang - I missed it! That's what I get for not pitting the dates in the calendar!! And also not getting on the forums in about a month...

Sounds like it was still fun!!!
    Next Meeting is May 4th ! Then Aug 24th then Oct 17th (your place)
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thank you to everyone who has given of their time and knowledge to assist people like me as we begin to navigate through this technology. I was remiss in my introduction of myself in expressing my appreciation to everyone who has offered their help and I want to do that now. Here's looking forward to getting through the essential skills we need to master in 2013 to make it a success and then onward from there. Thanks again to all of you.
    Clayton NC, Gregg Gusta & Son Ben, Was converting to LED lights gave up, went back to incan!! not a single pixel in sight!
    Like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/gustafamilychristmas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Uggg...travel for work and an updated calendar = missed meeting....

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by DanHouston View Post
    Uggg...travel for work and an updated calendar = missed meeting....
    Next meeting is May 4th 9 to 5. Details will get started soon. I've been swamped at work. I've not heard much from the steering committee, so I think we're all tied up these days. I still need to update the TASL members list and send a financial report but the days keep flying by ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole