Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: 2012 TASL Tour of Christmas Displays

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    ............... Any argument from someone that says the audiences expect it is purely false. .............
    NOT ! I completely opposite on this one. As a DJ, I already know that popular songs will remain popular with the general public. We are too close to these songs, and that will definitely get anyone sick of them. But the public is not sitting around listening to them thousands of times over and over (like we have to) .. They identify with the most popular songs in various situations. More than half will know nothing about music and care very little. And most of the other half will definitely identify a modern sequenced light show with the song Wizards in Winter. Last year (in my 3rd year of many of the same songs), the excitement with TSO songs always peaked when crowds gathered. And it will this year too. My formula is to play what people will enjoy hearing !
    Last edited by kidcole; 11-04-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: more truths ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    NOT ! I completely opposite on this one. As a DJ, I already know that popular songs will remain popular with the general public. We are too close to these songs, and that will definitely get anyone sick of them. But the public is not sitting around listening to them thousands of times over and over (like we have to) .. They identify with the most popular songs in various situations. More than half will know nothing about music and care very little. And most of the other half will definitely identify a modern sequenced light show with the song Wizards in Winter. Last year (in my 3rd year of many of the same songs), the excitement with TSO songs always peaked when crowds gathered. And it will this year too. My formula is to play what people will enjoy hearing !
    Oh no. First off your own example shows that a small percentage of people actually associate WIW with Christmas displays. Second popularity is not always a good thing. In support of that argument beer commercials are popular but doesn't address the fact that we have 20 million alcoholics in this country or so I'm told. Not one single person will go home and listen to WIW to "get into the Christmas spirit" whatever that implies. The lighting community should recognize that WIW is cliched and tired as many of the people that are veterans have already done so. The audience wants to hear high energy fast beat songs not WIW specifically.

Regardless,the tour people have heard WIW 4 million times. If a person can't show their display without using it then they aren't trying very hard.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Oh no. First off your own example shows that a small percentage of people actually associate WIW with Christmas displays. Second popularity is not always a good thing. In support of that argument beer commercials are popular but doesn't address the fact that we have 20 million alcoholics in this country or so I'm told. Not one single person will go home and listen to WIW to "get into the Christmas spirit" whatever that implies. The lighting community should recognize that WIW is cliched and tired as many of the people that are veterans have already done so. The audience wants to hear high energy fast beat songs not WIW specifically.

Regardless,the tour people have heard WIW 4 million times. If a person can't show their display without using it then they aren't trying very hard.
    OK .. I am not trying very hard ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Likes briancadman, Samj435 liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I heard that TSO is coming out with a new album this year. I may attempt to quick sequence one and add it into my display and get a jump on the competition.
    @Al in Raleigh - I didn't sequence WIW last year as I felt that it was overused and quite boring, but I was approached by multiple people who saw my show and asked to see it. They appeared flabbergasted that my fancy Christmas house couldn't play WIW.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    I heard that TSO is coming out with a new album this year. I may attempt to quick sequence one and add it into my display and get a jump on the competition.
    @Al in Raleigh - I didn't sequence WIW last year as I felt that it was overused and quite boring, but I was approached by multiple people who saw my show and asked to see it. They appeared flabbergasted that my fancy Christmas house couldn't play WIW.
    There new cd is out on iTunes. I only heard one that may be sequence worthy. It only has 5 songs on it.
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have been told my music selection should contain more this or that. I have had folks say that WIW had nothing to do with Christmas. Sort of like using Music Box Dancer has nothing to do with Christmas. Maybe Achy Breaky Heart will debut soon too.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by SWood View Post
    There new cd is out on iTunes. I only heard one that may be sequence worthy. It only has 5 songs on it.
    Isn't that just a sampler? I didn't think the full album was going to retail until Nov 30 or something like that.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Now I am torn. A couple of my best friends and neighbors asked me to add WIW to the show this year. We will see.
    Anyways, for those on the tour, removing WIW from the playlist the night of the tour should be easy enough.
    Christmas 2014 No show this year
    Facebook - Cadman Christmas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by briancadman View Post
    Now I am torn. A couple of my best friends and neighbors asked me to add WIW to the show this year. We will see.
    Anyways, for those on the tour, removing WIW from the playlist the night of the tour should be easy enough.
    Really? Are you sure that was the song they wanted to hear ? I can't believe that. I have it on good authority that the general public can't stand that song. There are only 3 people left in the entire English speaking north America that likes that song. One was found to be living in a very affluent suburb of Peoria. The guy apparently just never had time to get out .. and accidentally he liked the song. His picture was on the Yahoo home page for 3 days when someone discovered that he still liked that song.

I'm sorry .. this latest discussion has me rolling on the floor. Or for the phone messaging crowd I should say ROLF LMFAO. For the tour, I'll take a hog tied option.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Isn't that just a sampler? I didn't think the full album was going to retail until Nov 30 or something like that.
    It could be i'm not certian. I just thought that was it from what i've read on other forums. Maybe we should check their website to see.
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

If you want to make this something it isn't then have fun Denny it is all yours. You have lost the point and attacked. I never said that people hated it you said that. Why is this so sore of a subject with you anyway? I have something more for you to laugh at. I'll give it to you in person.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

....................... I have something more for you to laugh at. I'll give it to you in person.
    Looking forward to it !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Is it possible to cover all the local displays in a single night? How many displays are we talking about here?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

We should probably discuss that. I suppose we first need to put all the house names in a hat. Jack Stevens is in Pittsboro, which could be a good place to visit first if we can get the before dark. The down side is how soon people could meet to get started. Dariusz and I live only about a half mile apart in Cary. Scott McLellan and David Stafford are in the far northwest Cary. Samj (you), Mel and Al are in Raleigh. We've not been hearing from folks (lately) from past TASL tours, such as Tom D and Scott Lorbacher, and Mike Tadesco (Apex & Holly Springs areas). So I'm assuming they are not joining TASL at this point .. Rob does not do Christmas. I think we could get it all in.

Some of the others are more distant and would require some advanced travel plans. Mark is about 20 minutes west of Greensboro. I am not sure where Nancy lives. Mike lives in Vanceboro which is north of New Bern.

btw - it's some nice country up around Mike. I had a display in an antique boat show up there last spring...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Nancy is near Charlotte, or at least an hour from me.

Brian Cadman is in High Point, about 10 minutes from me closer to Raleigh.

Also in the area, at least within a 50 minute drive is Larry Charpiat up in Mount Airy, and of course, William B is in Ennice, which is probably 20 minutes more from Larry's.

I'm seriously thinking of coming over for the Raleigh tour, since I'll be in town Christmas week...
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!