Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Lightbulb mini minis

To Christmas and Halloween communities,
    Originally, I started a project of doing an internet based mini. The idea was simple; do a mini that anyone could attend from anywhere using conferencing software. The hope was to be able to have experts in any particular part of our hobby be able to present to anyone, not just those that were close to them. I had hoped that by doing this we could grow our communities and be able to better include people that werenít close to large cities. However, the idea quickly got bigger than what could be done in a day, then a weekend, and even a week. So, a new plan was devised, mini minis. The idea is to have two to four one-hour presentations, followed up by one to two hours of discussions (via webcams, voice and text). So thatís the new idea, and I can now say that I have the server up and running (not pretty like Iíd like, but in the interest of time, up.) Now we are looking for presenters and times to do this: I was thinking evenings of Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Post With regard to presentation software:

We have selected the main presentation software of bbb, but we do have some other failbacks if that doesnít work. The software will allow us to have a text chat, audio chat, and webcam chat, with a slide / whiteboard area, and desktop screen sharing. During a presentation, there will be audio / webcams from the presenters, but a text chat available to all. Also a presenter can give an audience member the ability to share a webcam / audio if they wish. During the webcam chat time, anyone (with a mic \ webcam - and perhaps headphones to stop audio feedback) will be able to join in and have a conversation about whatever. Because the server is USA based, it will work best for USA based listeners, as lag and packet drops become a problem the further away you get. If this works well, we are already looking to add servers / bandwidth around the world!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Post Possible presentation list

Possible presentation list (if you have ideas for more please let us know. We are looking for anyone that would be willing to present these or co-present these):
    How to use bbb - quick introduction into the meeting software feature set. Ėgigogig first show done
    Shared neutral cables / US110 how-to. Ė gigogig first show done
    Fm-transmitters and antennas.
    Tips and tricks in dealing with flicker.
    Hacking GECE
    Surveillance: software, hardware and setup.
    Light-O-Rama (lor) software: (possibly sequencing, setup and tricks.)
    Vixen2.x: (possibly sequencing, setup and tricks)
    Vixen3.x: (possibly sequencing, setup and tricks)
    Xlights: setup and tricks
    Light Show Pro (LSP): (possibly sequencing, setup and tricks)
    Audacity: Working with audio
    Servos: Selecting and functionality
    Servo controllers: Selecting and functionality
    Welding Techniques
    DMX Primer: Underlying concepts, limitations, and potential implementations - next show by lightman
    RGB controlling: comprehensive overview of multiple types
    RGB pixels: comprehensive overview of various physical formats
    RGB protocols: comprehensive overview (including 2801, 3001, GECE, etc.)
    RGB power: options for bower distribution between 5v/ 12v/ 24v RGB power
    Dumb RGB lights: comprehensive overview
    Animated Displays
    Video Taping Light Shows: tips and tricks
    AC controller choices
    DC controller choices
    Projection Displays
    Foggers: Comprehensive overview
    Soldering how-to
    PCB Board design (advanced).
    Coroplast building
    Lasers Displays
    Light strand repair: comprehensive overview
    Display layout and design
    Mini tree how-to
    Mega tree how-to
    Power calculation: AC 110/220, DC5v/DC12v
    Aesthetics comparisons of LED outputs
    Pic programing

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Smile To moderators:

It is important to me to emphasize the neutrality of this project. I donít have any problems with anyone, and it isnít my intention to create any kind of ďcompetitionĒ or dissent. Iím a member of multiple sites because I believe that all of them bring something to the users they serve (aka me). I am trying to bring something to them as well, and I am offering this because I feel that there is no one doing this specific type of minis/get-togethers/meetings/presentations, and I see a need for it. I hope not to be stepping on anyoneís toes by starting this. As I see it, the traditional minis/ get-togethers/ meetings/ presentations are superior to internet based ones in almost every way. Unfortunately their only downfall is in users that canít make it to presentations, and presenters that canít make it closer to the users. That said, please let me know if Iím crossing the lines of your site and I wonít put anything about this back up.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thumbs up To possible presenters

First, thanks for considering doing a presentation. People like you are the glue of our communities Ė allowing others a rare opportunity to learn from your wisdom, as well as your trial and error. Second, there are a few suggested requirements to be a presenter. If you do not meet the suggestions, consider reaching out to other community members for assistance before beginning:
    A newer webcam (less than 3 years old) that can do 720p streaming and not integrated into a laptop or screen
    At least a 512kbps internet upload connection - 2mbps is preferred
    At least a 5mbps download internet connection
    A dedicated microphone (not integrated into a laptop or a webcam)
    Have headphones around just in case to prevent audio loopback when you are presenting (we hope to prevent this in software if we can, but it doesnít always work)
    We ask that you place as much of the information as you can onto slides (they donít need to be perfect, just there - preferably with pictures) and give them to us before the presentation so that we can get them onto the server.
    We would like to have two presenters in a presentation if we can. This way, if one has problems the other can take over. Or, in an ideal environment, so that one can better watch chat for questions, or just interject other personal experiences, while the other focuses solely on presenting.
    We would like presenters to have, use, and be acquainted with splitcam (itís free - but be careful to only install it and not its crapware).
    Last but not least, we ask that presenters stick around for the ďafter presentation webcam chatĒ in case questions need answered or further discussion is needed to fully understand.
    Thatís it and thatís all! If you are still interested, please tell us what mini you would like to do and when you are available by posting to this forum. From there, we will work up a schedule and get back to you.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Wink To vendors:

We would love to give away prizes, so let us know if youíre interested in giving something away, or if you have suggestions for how to better integrate you . If youíre interested in doing presentations on your software or hardware, we ask that you make it clear that you are the vendor. We also require that you do not putdown any other products or vendors Ė we aim to keep this positive.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Red face First mini mini

The first mini didnít go without a hitch but it was successful with 20 users during the show and around 9 webcam users in the open round table, not too bad for a first try.
    Here the link for people interested but its not trimed so the first 30 min is blank just fyi.
    BigBlueButton Slides Playback
    for those that missed it, here is the first mini mini minis the video and the whiteboard.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Exclamation mini mini 2 topic is selected, its going to be a dmx primer by lightman of doityousel

mini mini 2 topic is selected, its going to be a dmx primer by lightman of doityouselfchristmas.
    Date and time can be found at
    Event Time Announcer
    This should help with time zone confusion.
    The Server is up @ Onlive Virtual Classrooms but no meeting is started, it will start sometime around 1 hour before

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: mini minis

I recall reading about this on DIYC .. Very nice idea.

I could not find any introductions from you, nor your name or background. Who are you ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Likes Lightaholic liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

basic info is now in the interducktion area

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Giggig, can you put a time stamp on your messages saying "June 14 at 5 PM MDT" or something like that?

Quick time through, I wasn't able to find the playback, but it's getting late and past my bedtime....will look again later.

Sounds like a great idea. Except for the webcam capability, we use something similar. I'm looking forward to actually joining a live session.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stevens View Post
    Giggig, can you put a time stamp on your messages saying "June 14 at 5 PM MDT" or something like that?.
    this is posted 9:25 pm usa az mst

Quick time through, I wasn't able to find the playback, but it's getting late and past my bedtime....will look again later.
    BigBlueButton Slides Playback

Sounds like a great idea. Except for the webcam capability, we use something similar. I'm looking forward to actually joining a live session.
    hope to see you at one.

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Any schedule of upcoming events?

And did you mean MDT, not MST, on that time zone? I know AZ is one of those split-time-zone states, where parts of it does go DST, and other parts don't. That gets confusing with the techs I work with, who tend to forget I'm not in their time zone. I just want to know if I should do a 2 hour or 3 h our offset of my local (EDT) clock here.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Any schedule of upcoming events?

And did you mean MDT, not MST, on that time zone? I know AZ is one of those split-time-zone states, where parts of it does go DST, and other parts don't. That gets confusing with the techs I work with, who tend to forget I'm not in their time zone. I just want to know if I should do a 2 hour or 3 h our offset of my local (EDT) clock here.
    this link Event Time Announcer will do the math for you just look for your closest big city

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

"As Gigogig mentioned, today I will be presenting a basic DMX Primer to help newbies and oldies alike. I will be covering the basics of DMX and how it works.

We will discuss....

DMX Signal Anatomy
    DMX Bus Management
    Universes and Addressing
    DMX Controllers
    DMX Fixtures
    Examples of DMX props
    Future of DMX

I will present this from the perspective of classic DMX512 as used in theater and stage applications... with a slant towards the hobbyist. DMX over ethernet will be mentioned but not discussed at length.

Look forward to seeing you later today. I welcome all questions.... as this is a learning experience for all.

Regards,
    Brian (lightman)"