Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aug 4, 2012 TASL Saturday meeting thread.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Aug 4, 2012 TASL Saturday meeting thread.

This is the thread for the August 4, 2012 TASL meeting ONLY.

The Triangle Area Synchronized Lighting (TASL) Group is meeting. This is our third of four meetings in 2012.

Date and Time: August 4, 2012 9am-5pm with lunch at noon.

Place: Swift Creek Community Center
    6221 Yates Mill Pond Rd
    Raleigh NC, 27606

Why would you want to attend: Basically, if you want to learn more about Christmas lighting and meet people in the Triangle area with displays then you should attend. If you want to ask lots of questions then this weeknight meeting is a better time than a weekend which is more formal with presenters. The more meetings you attend the better your display will become. TASL meetings are not webcast.

Who may attend: The simple answer is anyone. TASL currently has no dues and welcomes everyone. Our goal is to advance Christmas lighting in the Triangle Area. We believe strongly in teaching, sharing, and socializing. We welcome all for our meetings but plan events mainly for the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) area of North Carolina. Regardless, if you like Christmas lights then you are welcome.

Costs: Since TASL doesn't have dues (currently), so we usually pass the hat to cover the facility costs of $100 for the weekend meeting area.

Schedule of presenters/presentations: The weekend meetings are more formal training sessions than the weeknight meetings. We usually have excellent presenters on several topics. Please note as the meeting gets closer the number of presentations will increase.

1) Power supplies and how to select them for LEDs and other projects-- Al in Raleigh
    2) How to make a megatree knuckle--Walter
    3) Good practices in programming with Light-0-rama software S2.--Denny
    4) Blowmold lighting conversion using the new LED modules and E1.31 module--Denny
    5) How I made my Singing and Dancing Pumpkins--Al in Raleigh (dancing is done with servos and Light-o-rama ServoDogs)
    6) Zara Radio and how to integrate it into your display--Sam
    7) Quick update on my current project for this year. We talked about it at the last meeting. I should have one for viewing at this meeting.-- Al (10 minutes)
    8) How to shoot and edit really awesome videos of your display. Mel is a master and is going to show us the details. --Mel (45 minutes to 1 hour)
    9) Megatree making, erecting, programming tips and tricks. --Jack and Denny
    10) You will get to see Joshua 1's ECG-DR4 used in a project and maybe an E681.
    11) The speech software Papagayo and mouth movements-- Rob B.

More presentations will be listed in the future and so the list will change. Several people have expressed interest but I want to confirm before committing them.

Lunch: Pot luck lunch. In other words bring a dish to share with the group. We will have a sign up sheet for food closer to the event.

Persons to contact for more information: Al in Raleigh, Jack Stevens, Charity, kidcole (Denny), walter, scottmcl. Any person on this list will be able to answer almost any question.

Link to other upcoming TASL meetings

Please post in the thread if you plan to attend. We would like to have a headcount for planning.

Current attendees:

Al in Raleigh
    Deb (Mrs. Al in Raleigh
    Mike P. (mpurser or you can call him Mr Portable Hole)
    Denny (kidcole)
    Sam J (Samj435)
    Mel Welch
    Walter (Megaknuckle welder maximus)
    Melissa (Oreo Sphere elf)
    Shannon (swood from Greenville, SC)
    Ross S. (koi plumber)
    Jack S.
    Charity S.
    Nancy (christmascrazynana)
    Rob B. (robb3369)
    Matthew C (our youngest TASLer)
    Jane C (Brian's enabler)
    Brian C.
    Roger
    Anne
    Last edited by Al in Raleigh; 08-03-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Aug 4, 2012 TASL Saturday meeting thread.

lord willing and the creeks don t rise i ll be there
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

how nice of you to celebrate my birthday with a TASL meeting
    Likes scottmcl, SWood liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm in ! I claimed this spot on the family calendar a while back when you declared the dates for the year. I will miss Oct 18th most likely. My daughter Nikki is getting married Oct 20th and I'll probably start crying around the 18th ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Likes SWood, Melissa liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I'm in ! I claimed this spot on the family calendar a while back when you declared the dates for the year. I will miss Oct 18th most likely. My daughter Nikki is getting married Oct 20th and I'll probably start crying around the 18th ..
    Great, what class are you teaching? How about software? Maybe you could also do a short class on Blowmold conversion using LED modules.

Come to think of it, we might be able to rope Rob into showing us his pumpkins conversion to LED modules. If enough people come, I might bring my singing and dancing pumpkins (Halloween prop) which are 21 pumpkins of different sizes that move and "sing". It is a pain to set up and would need some serious sweet talking for me to bring them.
    Al
    Likes Jack Stevens liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    Great, what class are you teaching? How about software? Maybe you could also do a short class on Blowmold conversion using LED modules.

Come to think of it, we might be able to rope Rob into showing us his pumpkins conversion to LED modules. If enough people come, I might bring my singing and dancing pumpkins (Halloween prop) which are 21 pumpkins of different sizes that move and "sing". It is a pain to set up and would need some serious sweet talking for me to bring them.
    HHHHHHHHMMMMMMM my intrest is starting to stirrrrrr......
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yes, two good ideas. Put me down for both. And that will help drive me to get some E681s soldered up. My plan for this year is to use the 4th universe on the E681 for my DMX output. It's a really clean way to get DMX into the yard !

For the LOR session, I think a full software lesson would take away from lots of other good discussion at the meeting. But a "good habits" LOR discussion for 30 minutes would be a good starting point for a summer session. We can build an outline for the "good habits" session to become a future document in our library. I'll be sharing around the outline to get ideas from a few of you !

I like the pumpkins idea !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Put Charity and me on the attendees list.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Caudill View Post
    how nice of you to celebrate my birthday with a TASL meeting
    Will you show up and join us if we promise you a cake?

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    So what music are you sequencing for the wedding/reception? That archway I built is available, but I've taken the lights off it. I would highly recommend you don't DJ the reception. Emotionally and time wise you won't be able to, and besides, who would run the DJ station during the bride/father-of-the-bride dance?

Another class for Rob - and it may get him some business - setting up a web site for your display. What is involved in getting a domain name, getting a web host provider, maybe how to embed videos, etc.

Could you do a smaller version of the pumpkin display? It's a great show, but they should come see your display to see the actual thing. For a "how-to" demo, I think a smaller version would suffice. Say, only 20 pumpkins?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

[QUOTE=Jack Stevens;19458...
    Could you do a smaller version of the pumpkin display? It's a great show, but they should come see your display to see the actual thing. For a "how-to" demo, I think a smaller version would suffice. Say, only 20 pumpkins?[/QUOTE]

I might but it would take longer sequencing as it is to setup and teardown. Besides, I may put it out at Halloween this year if the weather is good. I could use a dry run because it has been setting for a couple years. I might video tape it for my website too.

I think Mel is planning to give a presentation on making excellent videos, and if so I could be ahead of the game.
    Al
    Likes SWood liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stevens View Post

So what music are you sequencing for the wedding/reception? That archway I built is available, but I've taken the lights off it. I would highly recommend you don't DJ the reception. Emotionally and time wise you won't be able to, and besides, who would run the DJ station during the bride/father-of-the-bride dance?
    Ha ! You are right. However - - - I would be happy to announce her and then announce me and then run out to dance with her. That would be a hoot. She does not want me to DJ it tho. We gave them a fixed budget and once we told them we would rather they kept the money .. she's been making the wedding simpler and simpler. Which is the way I prefer it.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Likes scottmcl liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Are you talking about lighting up blowmolds with LED's? That would be awesome.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny and I just bought some LEDs from China that he is putting in his blowmolds. The blowmolds will be multicolor and very bright. Denny is going to tell us how he is doing it at the meeting.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

im sure there are those of us who could use some pointers on lor software i my self am 1 what would the possibility of splitting into 2 groups just askin
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mpurser View Post
    im sure there are those of us who could use some pointers on lor software i my self am 1 what would the possibility of splitting into 2 groups just askin
    I'll discuss it with the committee to even see if it is possible/ The building at Swift Creek is plenty large for 1 meeting but two might be pushing it.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny and I just bought some LEDs from China that he is putting in his blowmolds. The blowmolds will be multicolor and very bright. Denny is going to tell us how he is doing it at the meeting.
    Actually the ones we bought are the smart strips with 12V 2801 chips on the bulbs, and I'm using those for a different effect. The blow-molds will contain dumb RGB strips and use the little 3 channel controllers from Holiday Coro. I am also making some large RGB ornaments that I hope to bring to the August TASL. They are around 11" diameter and will have Five 5050 modules in each (15 LEDs). Hopefully I can find enough time this summer so I can show them working.

A lot depends on when LOR releases their E1.31 support. I plan to configure my E681s with 12 smart string channels and one DMX domain. There will be one on my roof and one in the front yard. I have also decided that I will only use 12v devices for all my RGB stuff.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole