Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Next Triangle area meeting

It has been a couple months since the last meeting. I've tried a couple times to contact Michael Hunter and Don Williams who volunteered to host the next meeting. I've had no luck, so let's schedule the next meeting.

I think the first or second week in October would be good. Who would like to present or host for that matter? I am open for suggestions.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Next Triangle area meeting

Hi Al

Sorry I have not got back with you. We have really been busy getting ready for the display for this year.

Mike and I are really jamed up until after the first of the year. In fact we have already started installing a lot of things so every day we need. This will be the largest display I have ever done.

We were thinking about March or April for a meeting.

What do you think ?

Don

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hi Don,

It is wonderful that you and Mike are planning a meeting. But a few people are wanting a meeting before next year. The S2 software seems to be a common concern. If somebody comes forward with a place for us to meet, we can set a time and place. Any takers? Walter is checking into whether we can use a place where he works. However, if somebody has a big basement, we could bring our own chairs.

OK guys, somebody give us a place and away we go.
    Al

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have a meeting place I can use any day except Sundays and Mondays. It would hold 20-25 people ok. It's the Lions Club community building in Moncure. Other events happening on Sundays and Mondays.

However, no Internet, no phone, and poor cell phone reception there for most carriers. And it's in Moncure, which isn't a problem for Charity and me, but not convenient for most people.

From Raleigh, straight south on US 1 towards Sanford, get off at exit 79. Turn left at the top of the ramp onto Pittsboro-Moncure Road, follow that until it T's into Old US 1. Turn right, then about 1/4 mile on the right is Lockville Dam Road. Turn right on there, then left at the fork onto Lions Club Drive; first white building on the left. Only white building on the left. If you're still on Old US1 and go over the Deep River, you've gone too far (easy to do.)

It's available, but a fair piece down yonder for most people. Not many amenities for computer geeks. But available. It'd be my second or third choice.

Don, we'll miss you and Mike. I really understand the pressure you're under, and your display is very important to all of us. But we'll struggle on without you. I'm a newbie to programmable animated lighting, and I want your knowledge and experience so I can avoid some of the mistakes you've made. I came out to your display last year, and realized you didn't have time to talk to me - you were in your Santa suit talking to kids, and that is a lot more important. You need to have the time to set all that up, and if you need help, I hope you know at least some of us would be there at your beck and call.

However, I would really like to get what I can from the others in the group, and would like to give anything I can contribute as well, although from the caliber of the people who were at the earlier meeting, I don't think I could contribute much. Heck, I'll even take advice from John!

So, yes, let's have a meeting next March or April. But let's have one or two before then as well. Not everyone HAS to show up at each of them.

First week of October sounds good to me; that would give me time (I hope) to incorporate anything I'd learn into a Halloween display.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

This may just be me but during the "seasons" it would make more since to host at different peoples homes... Outdoors even... The reason is to help each other. Like Don is busy and can't even think about a meeting... I say lets meet at Don's and help him out. We can also meet later at completed homes.... If we are orginized to help and learn I cannot think of a better way. We also bring the refreashments and all so the host house does not have to freakout and go into party hosting mode.... lol

Just a thought...

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Mel,

You stole my idea! LOL
    If we are going to Don Williams, count me in.
    Hands on training is what I need as a newb.

Vic
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hi guys. I am not sure what happened to my configuration here on the site. I was getting posts by email but after our last meeting I have not seen anything. I though perhaps everyone went dead on the meetings. The nice thing about the automatic replies was it kept me in touch. Otherwise I have been running so hard with IBM I lose track of the outside world !

I have also noticed my avatar is gone and so is my LOR closing. Have I been banished for non-participation ..

<kidding> .. !

I'm glad to see there is still activity here. I would really like to meet someone soon (at their house) to look over the assembly of a Mega-tree. I am going to sink a pipe in the group soon and want to know what to pick. Will 2" work or should I use 3" ? Should I buy one of those crank up kits or go home-made ? I am planning 32 channels (8 strings of 4 colors) and about 12 feet high.

I am good to meet about any day (with advanced planning), but my Saturdays are limited. I am a DJ (for fun) and booked every Saturday between Sept 19th and end of October. I still have Oct 10th open - - in case you guys are still looking for someone to suggest a date. I want to get my tree started much sooner than that tho.

I would also like to suggest the we set up 2 or 3 software meetings if someone would be willing to host them. I can bring some refreshments. A couple quick jump starts and I can be off and running. I have always found that Sunday afternoons and Sunday evenings are a good time to get large groups together. Most people are available then, even if they travel for a living...

Thanks !

Denny Cole
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

This is just my opinion... But I would go with 2 colors with 16 strings... I do not think 8 will give you as good an effect... But I maybe wrong...

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hi Denny,

Walter and I are finishing his up as we speak. You are welcome to see what we did. Walter has unusual times that he works. If you want to see his just setup a time with him and I'll try to make it too.

For Walter's he dug down and buried with concrete a 1 1/2" black Iron pipe (BIP) threaded on one end. He then dug and buried with concrete the guy wire anchor points. The megatree pole is 21' long BIP that is coupled to the buried BIP with a coupler. The guy wires are aircraft cable with a variety of turnbuckles and fittings. We are still working on the "knuckle" which is a device that simplifies erection of the main 21' BIP. The top of the megatree is a bunfoot from Homedepot and a star that is coupled with threaded rod. You should see how this is made. Others have their version but this is our version. Walter's is almost an exact duplicate of mine. We plan to make a "shuttle" that runs up and down the pipe to facilitate easier erecting of the lights.

I will book Starbucks' room on Lake Boone for a couple small meetings. Let's shoot for Sept 24 at 7pm, Oct 8 at 7pm. Five or more people must agree by Sep 19th to attend. How does that sound. We will talk about anything you desire.

Al
    Last edited by Al in Raleigh; 09-11-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Sept 24 is out for me - already scheduled to be elsewhere all weekend.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have not scheduled the meeting room. If you want to attend then I must know by Tuesday.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I will be there i just blocked it off at work
    Walter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Not a weekend count me out..

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Al,
    Count me in.
    Vic
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

September 24 wouldn't really be a good date for me, either. My wife's birthday. After taking her to a Lions Club meeting for dinner two anniversaries ago, I'm not sure taking her to a meeting like this for her birthday would go over well.

Actually she enjoyed the first meeting. But, she's already told me no for this one.

And there's a reason for that Lions' Club dinner meeting.