Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone interested in going to Texas for The Academy?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Anyone interested in going to Texas for The Academy?

Anyone is more than welcome to come visit. We try to put on a great show for everyone and seem to have more and more people from outside the state show up each year. Don't let any other involvement keep you from coming down (which is also pretty cryptic now isn't it?)- this is still the Lone Star Holidays Academy but we do have a few outside groups (or experts) coming to share their knowledge. If you are interested you can keep an eye on The Academy. I've had a number of friends here on CC so it'd be great to meet some of you in person!

Have a great week everyone!

The Lady In The House! crazylightlady's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm going to the Academy this year. The LSP class will be taught by none other than David Johnson himself.

And due to the rude remarks made in this thread about Texas women, I've made my very last trip to the Carolinas.
    Likes scottmcl, Ryan Johnson liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I took a look at the class list, and some of the folks that are coming and teaching are very good folks. Yes, David is coming to teach LSP. If you want to get the inside scoop on LOR S3, then Drew Hickman has a special session on Sunday that costs extra but is probably worth it if you are serious about LOR. And there are some very nice women that live in Texas.

I still don't plan to make the trip this year - I've got too many other things that I'm tied up with to be able to carve out the time....

But we weren't trying to scare Annalisa away!
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am not going but looks like I am heading to Chicago this year with Tory. More of an event for the blowmolders but should be fun.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

You know I've never understood why more Texas folks don't use blowmolds and/or inflatables. With our weather down here it's an easy way to enhance a display but to each their own I suppose. I'm certainly not a "molder" but I have a few that I use each year and have always had inflatables, mostly because they're simple, colorful, and the kiddos that come by love them.

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Johnson View Post
    You know I've never understood why more Texas folks don't use blowmolds and/or inflatables. With our weather down here it's an easy way to enhance a display but to each their own I suppose. I'm certainly not a "molder" but I have a few that I use each year and have always had inflatables, mostly because they're simple, colorful, and the kiddos that come by love them.
    Not living there, I can't comment fairly about why more people don't use blowmolds and/or inflatables in Texas, but here in NC, and it's probably something I'm doing, I have very poor success in keeping the inflatables from ripping. Once the fabric tears, the inflatable doesn't look so good any more. I don't know if it's the quality of fabric, my environment, or what, but I've given up on them. I've had good success with blowmolds holding up, though, and they look good with Denny's mod inside them.

Annalisa - don't let my comments about my first wife's kids scare you off; it's those particular people, not the state nor most of the people in that state. The kids are bipolar; it's a dominant gene they inherited from my first wife. No big issue there, but they don't want to accept the treatments to straighten out the screwed-up body chemistry the gene causes.

Oh, and yeah, I know you can sew up the rips once, maybe twice.....but the things are too expensive to use effectively only for one year display.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I wish we were closer. The classes look great. I would like to learn to get the Visualizer to work for me. It's great you have this down there. And looks like you can get into the advanced topics too !

As Al mentioned, we have a strong technical forum here in the Raleigh area with the TASL group. The expertise is spread across a lot of members. And we're helping to expand the TASL idea to other areas around the Carolinas. It's a big boost to this hobby to have local support and meetings throughout the year.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control