Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default TASL June Meeting - LOR S2 Software

I plan to hold some software meetings this summer. And this first one will be the basics for Installing LOR S2, managing files, defining your Channel Property Grid, Importing/Exporting Channels, connecting and setting up controllers, preparing your audio files for LOR, using the Sequence Editor, Intensity and Fade Tools, etc. Most of this stuff is quite simple but it really important to know "why" each of these segments are important to you.

In this first class we'll also jump into the Hardware control side of LOR where you will define your Shows and then Schedule them. You wont actually see anything when your shows are running .. it's all automated on your computer (totally in the background) ! The shows will reliably run whenever you schedule them to run and they will shut down at your designated stop time.

If we have time we can also look at the Animation Tool, which I highly recommend for everyone to learn. It's crude but it does let you see your show without having to sit in your yard after dark with your lights up and running. I tried that and it was nearly impossible ! We'll also hold session number 2 with the Animation Tool if we don't get to it on the first meeting.

I would suggest that everyone bring a laptop with the latest LOR S2 Version 2.7.6 downloaded (or installed). Also bring your RS485 adapter. The LOR downloads page is here:

http://www.lightorama.com/w_support.htm

If you have not installed before and want help, we can walk through the full installation too. Just have the downloads with you. The trickiest part is to follow the RS485 Adapter install instructions EXACTLY to pull in the driver that translates the serial port inside your PC, to the USB port where your RS485 adapter is physically connected. The Adapter User Guide and many other good tutorials are also at the link above.

You can download the software in demo mode without buying it, but you have to be a licensed user in order to fully install it. I suggest you have your license code stored on your laptop where you can always find it. Some of the LOR software upgrades work fine when simply installed over top of your previous version - - but sometimes the license key seems to be lost and you have to re-enter it.

For the new guys - you should think about getting a second display to connect to your laptop. Buy.com has good deals on 19" and 20" flat panels in the $100 range. I found the second monitor to be far simpler to keep the animation tool running separately from the Sequence Editor. It saves time and quickly lets you work on small sections of your show. We won't use the second display at the software classes, but you will use it a lot when writing your sequences.

DON'T get caught up in thinking you need to buy sequences. If you really want some for starters we can share links to LOTS of sequences. Many people here have supplied links in past posts. I found that I spent more time trying to modify the ready made sequence to fit my channel layout, than it took to write one from scratch. BUT ... there are some good advantages to looking at other sequences to get ideas. You will start out thinking of only a few things to do with your lights, and then your brain will explode with the unlimited possibilities as you work with your setup a while.

Later this summer I expect to have at least one advanced software meeting where we will dig into organizing your timing marks to the actual beat of the songs rather than in 10ths of a second (or any other division by time). Your shows will "pop" once you get everything tuned to the beat .. But it's not the default setting for LOR (unfortunately). You have to go out of your way to get the beat marks and not have them all mixed up with the "crappy" default timing marks ..

For those who are really brave I will also walk through using the LOR "Tracks" for isolating special sets of lights from your main pallet. I found Tracks to be fantastic for my Star Spangled Banner, where I wanted to be sure that the only channels in my pallet were for lights that were Red White and Blue (ONLY).

FOR THE FIRST MEETING - - I am thinking next week either Tuesday Wednesday or Thursday. Let me know your preferences, particularly if you are flexible for all of the days. We'll try to find the day that gets the most participants. We also have to work out a location. Scott has discussed his house, which may be in the middle (when we consider some are coming from Pitsboro). My house is off Cary Parkway near Kildaire Farms road, also not too bad. Of course we could meet at Crosswinds Marina. But I would fear we might not get as much done there, with the distractions of the boat ... I think that might be a nice place for the advanced software meetings tho ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

wbottomley

Default Re: TASL June Meeting - LOR S2 Software

I will attend one but depends where it's held.

But, don't get to comfortable with this version, a new one comes out in July.

It should go to beta testing within the next two weeks.

Some of the new features, color picker, new visualizer, rgb channels, chase patterns, clip board save, open gl, and many more.

I'll let you know more later.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

That sounds great William. Perhaps one of the more advanced classes could be in a location that's closer to you? Or if you are willing to drive to Jordan Lake, my guest house is on the lake and you are welcome to stay there (pic attached) ...

This would probably be the July meeting, so we could cover my topics and then explore the new stuff.

Do you know if those of us who purchased S2 last year will have to pay an upgrade fee to get the new features ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -midnightsplash1.jpg  
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks Denny for organizing the meeting.
    Wednesdays and Thursdays are best for me, on Tuesdays we have swim meets that last from 5PM 'till 10PM.
    Thanks

Dariusz

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny -

Don't set the location based on where Charity and I are coming from. We're ok going to your house.

As far as I'm concerned, it's up to you and others for the location. If you do it at your house, you have less to drag along, set up, tear down, and take back home. You have longer to set up. But do you have the room there? Does Scott? I do, but it's a "fer piece down the road" for too many people. My front room is about 16x25.

I can bring up to 3 6' folding tables and 7 folding chairs if you need them.

It doesn't matter to me what night, although I'm tending towards Tuesday. Charity says no to Tuesday 'cuz it's my birthday, but work duties say I have to be up at midnight Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning and again Wed night/Thurs morning; I'm likely to be tired Wednesday and Thursday, but am willing to show up based on when the majority of people want to have it.

Thanks in advance for hosting this!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks Jack. I do have room here, and the tables/chairs would help. I will speak with Scott and we'll make a decision on location.

I was leaning towards Wed or Thu, since Dariusz (who posted just before you) is the guy who wired my sub panel last year. I talked him into doing his own house and he bought 64 channels. What if we moved it to Wed the 30th ? That's also a possibility if next week is not good. Or if you can keep up your strength maybe Thursday the 24th is the best date ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I can host next weds if you want to do it here. Would give me a chance to get some input on how to set up for the show, too.

Denny - ping me on sametime today and let's talk more then.
    Last edited by scottmcl; 06-17-2010 at 07:45 AM. Reason: added note for Denny
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Weeknights is a no go for me... Saturdays are good....

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hi Mel !! Unfortunately my only available time will be weeknights. But you are already an advanced user, and I thought you were not using LOR S2 anymore? I could probably find some time to come to your place if you want ... I'd be glad to show you what I can .. and maybe pick up another Premier lesson !
    Last edited by kidcole; 06-17-2010 at 02:28 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thats ok... Thanks... I use LOR to run the show.... I use LSP then import it to LOR. Timing is the part I am needing help on... No problem...

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: TASL June Meeting - Wednesday 6/23

Were going to meet on June 23rd at Scott's house in west Cary. I suggest we start at 7pm. Please PM me if you plan to attend, and I will send directions and contact information.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I can't attend. Could somebody steal something from Scott's house for me. He doesn't have CCRs, and I saw his mini trees (please don't steal those). Maybe Walter will attend and check out Scott's stash of goodies and pilfer the good stuff. Walter will hook me up.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

on second thought, we'll meet outside on the kid's playground...
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I would suggest that everyone bring a laptop with the latest LOR S2 Version 2.7.6 downloaded (or installed). Also bring your RS485 adapter.
    What is this RS485 adapter that you speak of? I don't think I got one with any controller I've purchased...
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Scott,

You have to purchase one from LOR. They come with a cd which has the needed driver on it along with instructions for installing it. Be sure to purchase the one with the filters on it.

I'm not sure I can make it on a weeknight. Saturdays are best for me.

Vic
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS