Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Wire Marking

I finally completed getting tags on all my wires today. And I highly recommend the Dymo Rhino Pro 1000 label maker. I purchased the vinyl labels 3/8" wide. They are printed by heat and the vinyl will not fade or break down with UV light or moisture. I stuck them on the SPT plugs and sockets (both ends). They peel off easily if I change a wire. I write on them whick device and Device Number .. like Roof ICe 1, Roof Ice 2, etc. I do not bother to write down the channel number because those can change if there are problems. Instead, I keep my spreadsheet with the Show Laptop in case I need to see what physical channel things are wired to. It works out nicely this way.

I also finished my power measurements (again) since I finally have all my blowups rewired to control all the lights externally in groups. When all lights are on, I am drawing 79.2 amps (nearly 10,000 watts) .. !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

wbottomley

Default Re: Wire Marking

LOL Denny.

I think I might have 10-20 cords marked but that should be the most.

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Much of my wiring design will be the same next year, so I want to be able to keep those wires. They are sized to fit perfectly. Also as I mentioned, I'd like to go on a wireless diet for next year...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I'd like to go on a wireless diet for next year...
    Walter is having trouble with his wireless modules. I told him to send me the module's info and I would take a look at it. I didn't like what I heard him say about it. TASL controllers may be a reality this coming or following year. Each rev of board that RJ makes has problems. The pros need to take this over. Denny would be a good person to drive it.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I went fully wired after trying out the wireless to my roof and the side of the house.

RJ's wireless seems to have problems with two areas - needs line of sight, and interference with 802.11b/g routers.

My transmitter was in the same room as my router and was going thru 2 floors and the roof and wasn't reliable. Same to be said for going thru 2 walls and cinder block wall. If I stepped in front of the controller, the signal got blocked.

Others on the forum have had other interesting issues, like cars blocking the signal.

I do a good job of soldering, much better than some of the boards I've seen posted, and so know that it's not the soldering job that is causing the problems.

I think the limited beta testing that was done contributed to the issues.

It's OK - you live and learn, but the controllers do work fairly well as light controllers.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Darn, that's not good news. I was hoping they were gonna be pretty good. Interesting vote of confidence Al. As a Project Manager, I got ya covered. As for a grass roots design effort .. <ouch> ! Not sure if I'd ever find the time or the talent to invent our own wireless modules .. There must be a bunch of DMX distribution solutions out there. We need to go to the end of the Internet and find some !

Thanks again for the transmitter <Al>. Walter brought it over tonight and I'm back on the airwaves. I owe you guys for all the great help !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am happy to help Denny. The DMX commercially available may price us out of the marker. The wireless module that RJ is using is a a pre-designed easily interface 802.11 module. It just needs engineers to properly interface it.

The wireless network could be handled by Denny, Mark, and myself. Mark and I could handle the design and maybe Denny knows some folks that can lay out the board. Mark could likely handle the PIC. I haven't done anything similar in 10 years but might be able to resurrect the skills.

I looked at the wireless' module spec sheets today. The module gets the communication information from the PIC. It is fully capable of channel shifting to hinder crosstalk but the code wasn't included into the DIY module's design. Also, the antenna design was capable of 400 meters of distance. The wireless module's manufacturer hired a world renowned company to design that antenna. Its has a transmission node similar to a dipole antenna. So, if you place the wide part of the antenna toward the target the greatest distance is in front and behind the wide part of the antenna. It has very little power out vertically and on the sides. . However, Walter told me that the antenna had to be modified to get into the enclosure. Well duh. There goes the distance. The module's manufacturer will furnish the code for the PIC.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

We just got a new member of the group (Patrick Yauch) who has a LOR system in Clayton. And he owns a PCB company .. I hope to visit him next week to see his system.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ooooo. Someone who does PCB's. They would be my best friend if I needed some boards made...

The guys over at www.doityourselfchristmas.com are much more open about their designs than RJ. RPM designed a DMX DC channel dimmer - a guy in Australia had some PCB's made, and shipped 2 to me for less than $6 a board. I'm going to build them out after Christmas, and plan to run the LED floods that I built with them next year. They post all the PCB layouts, schematics and even firmware source code many times.

Al, I suggest you keep your eyes and ears open to that site - there's lots of collaboration going on to build decent stuff over there...
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Let us know how those DC controllers work Mark ! That could be a good candidate for our group ! And Patrick has already suggested that we consider making a bunch of controller boards (he's also got a wave solder setup!). Of course he does this for a living, so he'd probably like to spread them wider than just our little group ! I guess we'll see how the options play out. I need to get over and meet Patrick. We exchanged addresses last week. There are several guys that design very sophisticated raw cards for my projects at work. I might be able to convince one of them for some moonlighting .. but we'd have to pay him .. Should not take long for these little controllers.

The salt mines of IBM are workin me hard this week, but Friday is my last day for the year. Just in time for my wife to have hip surgery, so I'll still be busy trying to keep her settled down. People accuse me of being moving all the time and she runs rings around me. This is her second try at similar surgery and I have a theory that she didn't stay down long enough last time. We'll see ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny your plate is overflowing. Tell us how to help. Better yet call and tell me how to help.