Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default possible fuse problem

Tonight I plugged in to see if everything works - I have 1 bank of channels (1-8) that do not run. I switched extension cords, etc., and those same channels do not work. Although I do not believe I exceeded amps for any of my channels, could this be just a fuse problem? This is a new PC "complete" controller.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
    Robin

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: possible fuse problem

Robin, could be a fuse.

Do you have a voltmeter? If so, with the unit unplugged (both cords) remove the plastic fuse cover. Then plugging in only the left side cord, put one probe on the netural connections (on the left side of center) and with the other probe check both sides of the fuse. CAUTION - exposed power connections now. Be Safe If the fuse is good, you should read approx 120 volts both times. If you only see the voltage on the right side of the fuse, but not the left, then the fuse would be bad. Replacements can be obtained from Radio Shack, Lowe's or Home Depot (they might call them microwave fuses at the big box stores) You need a 15 amp ceramic fuse.

A continunity checker could also be used, I would recommend, with the unit unplugged, removing the fuse for checking

No voltmeter nor access to one, then I'll volunteer Walter to help you out.

Sending out the "Bat Signal" to Walter now.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks for the reply John. I just redid my power calculations, and may have gone over amps on that half of the controller. Now I'm worried I may have really screwed things up!

I don't think I will try doing anything with live power, but will just buy the fuse and if that doesn't work, beg Walter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I understand Robin. Hopefully if you were overloaded, the fuse did it's job and a replacement fuse will be all that's needed. While I have never blown a fuse with any of my controllers, I do keep a small inventory (5) on hand, just in case it should be needed.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Robin, Go to radio shack and get the fuse thay have them. If you dont want to install it or feel Comfortable doing it let me know and i will come by. I work with it all the time and is no problem
    Walter

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

While we're talking fuses ... I bought the LOR controllers with the higher power heatsinks. Does that also mean mine have larger fuses ? I don't have any spare fuses, so I'll pick up a few this week.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

No, Your contollers with shipped with 14 AWG power cords rated at 15 amps. The fuses are also 15 amp rated.

The higher power heat sinks just means you can go up to 8 amps on a channel instead of being limited to 2 amps per channel.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm good with that. My estimated peak was 11.1 amps on one bank of 8, and the actual measured was 11.8 amps ... Most of my banks are between 3 amps and 7 amps.

Everything is running clean so far, except I lost a stobe tonight.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The fuses used in the controllers are called appliance fuses, They are standard type not slo-blow fuses. I would recommend that you have several spares. Sometimes rain will collect in the cords and blow a fuse.

Denny, you can convert the PC style controllers to 20 amps each side by doing three thngs:

1) remove the controller from the plastic box and put it into a larger metal box to increase the heat dissipation from the heatsinks.
    2) remove and replace the controller power cables with 12 AWG cables
    3) remove and replace the fuse with a 20 amp fast blowing fuse.

The power electronics is similar to the Showtime series which is already rated at 20 amps. There is no need to change heatsinks but having the heatsinks in contact with the metal enclosure is highly recommended to allow the heat to dissipate to the enclosure and not stay resident inside the enclosure.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks for all your help. My problem was a fuse which I easily replaced from Radio Shack. Now I have a different problem which I may repost in a different forum as well:

I run the showtime mp3 player. It worked fine last year. I have NOT upgraded firmare. Because of this, I was cautious to have my show scheduled 7 days, from only 7-10 because of that midnight bug. However, the same song plays over and over. Any help is appreciated!