Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Splicing, Joining and Terminating SPT2 Wires

I want to hang 3 THREE SPT2 wires inside my mega-tree up to the top .. with strobes on them.

Is there a prefered ethod for splicing .. or how should I join them ? I want a single plug (single channel) at the base of the tree and can easily run a long wire up and back down. But the 3rd wire is best handled by splicing it at the top. I hate to waste wire going up and back down twice !

Or if I use three separate wires, what's the best way to stack the plugs and sockets ? The three wires coming down the inside of the tree will not be near each other. They will be evenly spread out around the circle (about 120 degrees apart).

Also, what's the recommended way to terminate a bare end of SPT2 or other wires ? I want them to be waterproof and seems like taping the ends is not a good solution. Is there a tried and true method for terminating ends.
    Last edited by kidcole; 10-26-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: typos
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Splicing, Joining and Terminating SPT2 Wires

If I understand your situation, the SPT plug can be modified to allow the wire to pass through. You can drill out the closed in.

There is not a good way to waterproof connectors. Some folks have tried to seal them up with a variety of means--i.e. electrical tape. It usually winds up trapping in moisture which exacerbates the moisture issue. Some people use disposable food containers to act like an enclosure for the plug. Personally, I don't allow connectors to come in contact with the ground or another surface that can dam water. I usually end all of connectors about 6" from the ground. After a long rain, I cut off the power to the controllers and shake every connector to remove the bulk of the water. This method works 99% of the time. I'm not sure how you could shake a connector at the top of the megapole but I personally have never had a connector problem there. Thank goodness.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Splicing, Joining and Terminating SPT2 Wires

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Also, what's the recommended way to terminate a bare end of SPT2 or other wires ? I want them to be waterproof and seems like taping the ends is not a good solution. Is there a tried and true method for terminating ends.
    Denny,

I separate the two conductors about a half inch. Do not stip the insulation. Coat each end with liquid electrical tape Then cut two pieces of heat shrink about 1 inch, shrink, and fold the excess back over each conductor. Then slip another piece of heat shrink over both folded ends and shrink.

I've never had a problem this way.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs