Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Power injection for larger pixel runs and large matrix

Roger Aubuchon has been showing off his giant roof matrix. Roger has his own company making high end displays and he made a matrix that is 31,104 pixels (over 90,000 channels) for one of his customers. 32 strings of 396 and 48 strings of 384. They are all 2" spaced on the Boscoyo mesh (or whatever they call their matrix sheets). This will cover an entire roof.

Roger had to experiment with power and ground to get the design working, and keep it as simple as possible. He is using really large 125A 12V power supplies (about 8 of them), going into some small boat fuse boxes. Each has about 12 fused outputs. But he was using 8 outputs per box. He never said what amperage fuse he is using but he did measure a little over 10 amps on each leg, so I am guessing 15 amp fuses.

Here is the part that amazes me. Each channel of the Falcon F16V3 is driving a single run of 396 pixels. On the Input side of the string he is only sending the controller ground and the data line. Power is injected only once in the middle, between pixel 200 and 201. Then a second ground coming from the ganged fuse boxes, is connected at the end of the string. He also jumpers groups of 6 (sometimes 8) of the end-of-string grounds together on a single ground run from the power supply group. These ground wires are only 20ga! Since there are 24 outputs on each Falcon, jumpers the end of string grounds together in the matrix in groups of 6. So there are 4 of the Extra grounds coming from the power supplies for the 32 string matrix. He is using 14ga wire out of the fuse boxes but they are only about 18" long, just enough to run over to the pigtails (tied to the +12v wires in each pigtail).

He demonstrated that this setup can handle 100% white which surprised me a lot. He also showed them at 75% and at 40%. This is a big wow to me !

I am going to change all my wiring to follow something similar to this. For 12V I'll probably insert in the middle of 300 pixels (instead of 400). And then run the tail end grounds back to my power box. For 5V I'll probably put the power into the middle of 150.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Power injection for larger pixel runs and large matrix

I guess the question i am about to ask is along the same lines. But is there a way to run the LOR controllers(yes i know still old school) outside of the regular AC current. Please remember I am not any type of electrical person at all.

Scott Joyner aka rooster423

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by rooster423 View Post
    I guess the question i am about to ask is along the same lines. But is there a way to run the LOR controllers(yes i know still old school) outside of the regular AC current. Please remember I am not any type of electrical person at all.

Do you mean that you want your LOR to output low voltage to match traditional LED strings? They do make converters but I have no idea how much they cost at this scale or why you would want to do this because there is no advantage I see. Incandescents for sure don't work at low voltage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by rooster423 View Post

I read Eric's reply but I am not sure that was what you are asking. are you trying to run a controller somewhere that you don't have AC power ? They make Inverters that let you use 1 or more batteries, and the inverter converts the battery 12v over to 110v. The whole thing can get elaborate depending on how many light strings you want to run off that controller. That only solves the powering problem. Then you need to also use an ELL to wirelessly get the control signal to the LOR box. Let me know what specifically you are trying to do.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control